View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! 
Hylian Knight

Post Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! • Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:18 pm
Spirit Tracks breaks Disability Barriers
By MasterBX

After the somewhat recent release of ‘the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks’, a new instalment in Nintendo’s ‘Legend of Zelda’ series, there have been much debate over the portrayal of handicapped members of society. The argument in question concerns a particular race inside the Zelda game that are dubbed ‘Locomos’. These beings are portrayed as old, almost frail, sage-like beings with the lower halves of their bodies’ being completely motorized and on a set of two wheels (much similar to a wheel chair, although without the two front wheels).

At first complaints were filed detailing the negative image the Locomos were giving of those in wheelchairs by, intentionally, making them frail, old, and very much incapable of anything but playing musical instruments for short intervals of time. A Nintendo representative revealed during a conference debating this issue that it was not the intention of Nintendo to convey such a message, rather he insisted the aged look of the Locomos was to represent wisdom and calm, happy natures.

Later on the accusations were dropped when many of the accusers actually got to the end of the game and found the Locomos to be quite powerful and aid the hero (named Link) in defeating the almighty evil antagonist of the game. This knowledge and the 20 wheelchair access ramps Nintendo has helped establish in poor regions of Africa have given the company the title of ‘Most Wheelchair friendly Video Game Company since Atari’ which is quite the honour when noting that Nintendo is the only one to ever be worthy enough to receive such a prize (The prize originally being made to honour Atari in its aid in the creation of an activity that, at the time, could actually be done by those in a wheelchair). No other company has ever received this prize due to the irrationality that wheelchair’s do not hinder videogame sales (which was deemed as discriminatory in the case of Sony vs. Stephen Hawking, August 24/1999).
Nintendo will continue to incorporate aids in their technologies for those with certain needs such as the recent Nintendo Wii attachment, ‘Sii’(pronounced ‘see’), that acts as described audio for those who are vision impaired. Below is a section of manuscript of the Sii used on the ‘Legend of Zelda’ game ‘Twilight Princess’:

“You have entered a shop. Directly in front of you is an elderly Goron, press ‘A’ to interact with him. Even further forward is Malo who runs the shop. Press ‘A’ to intereact with him. You are facing the door. You have left the shop. you are in Kakariko Village. There are rough-looking buildings all around you. You may walk in any forward direction. There is some tall grass to your left a it of a distance away. There is some tall grass ahead of you. You are walking towards tall grass. Tall grass is 5 seconds ahead of you...4 seconds ahead of you...3 seconds ahead of you...2 seconds ahead of you...” - Transcript # 34,567 (F)

It is clear how this new technology can improve the experience of the game even for those with no problems with eyesight whatsoever. These new accessories should be being unveiled at E3 ’11 and should be in stores by the Christmas Season of 2012.

Administrator

Post Re: Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! • Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 pm
Not bad. :P I like the transcript of the Sii. Good work. :P

Profile WWW
Hylian Knight

Post Re: Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! • Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:32 pm
I was looking at the Satire section of EDN. I decided: 'Hey! maybe I should write a satire too!" But what should it be about? Hmm...it should have to do with something recent! Well, DC did a Skyward Sword one already.....how about Spirit Tracks! Yeah....but how do I make fun of...it............Locomos.......yes.....yes....very good."

And that was the birth of my first satire :D

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! • Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 am
That was actually pretty good.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Spirit Tracks Breaks Disability Barriers! • Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm
You expected any worse? :L

Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]