View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 EDN Comic Discussion 
Terminian Captain

Post EDN Comic Discussion • Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:43 pm
Click here if you don't know what this is about: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2978)

We're having sign ups for this comic project for the following criteria:

1) If you would like to be included as a CHARACTER in the comic. This does not require anything but being an active member here and at least a brief description on how you would like your character to look. Detailed descriptions, biographies, and concept art aren't mandatory but are encouraged for the most accurate results. If you are going to post concept art for your character, please remember that it doesn't have to look amazing, as the main illustrators will be drawing them for the comic. You're just coming up with the concept of how you want it to look. Please post as much character info as you can when you sign up.

*By the way, if this wasn't clear before, your characters have to be named after your username or at least include your username in it because they are based off your fantasy side here on the forum.

2) If you would like to be an ARTIST for the comic. If you would like to draw for the comic, please prove that you can draw for the comic by posting
some of your beautiful work. If it isn't terrible, you'll be added as artist.

3) If you would like to be an AUTHOR for the comic. If you would like to write for the comic, please sign up. We need the authors to write the story as it goes, as one author won't be enough. If you have contributed, want to contribute, or will contribute to the storyline of the comic, then please sign up as an author now.

You can sign up for as many jobs as you want, the more the better. Also, Keep in mind that these sign ups have no official closing date, but you should sign up now to give us an idea on how we're going to start the first part of the comic. We'd be glad to add people after the comic has already started, but it might not work as well as signing up now, obviously. So, start signing up and we can get the basic parts of this comic started.

CHARACTERS - 20
Tetromino
Invader Zzim
Joss Silver
Masterbx
Zetsu
Shinjite
Deku Lord/Zender
Technophobia
Supreme Dirt
Rupeelord
Cthulhu
Dark Princess
Brainiac
Banished Link
Darth Citrus
Midnascape
Zeldaeinstein
Sir Link
LiD AKA Dr. Ryu Tanaka
Yazstromo

Staff - 6
Invader Zzim(Director and Author)
Masterbx(Author and Storyboarding)
Zetsu(Author and Drawing)
Tetromino(Author and Inking)
Dark Princess(Coloring)
Zeldaeinstein(Author)

Last edited by Doctorzzim on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm
I'll have to find a another location for the topic (or some mod can...but it's too late to think for me.) Also, you should allow along with character description and that kind of stuff a brief character biography. In fact, I'd say, encourage this as well.

Alright: First off, Character Tetromino:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126 ... tetra1.png

Hylian Witch (who people say LOOKS LIKE A PRINCESS), she likes to turn people into newts and can do other, amazing stuff such as save Australia from total destruction! :P

I'd also like to sign up for Artist (when said thread comes), but would prefer to keep my work more on the minimal side of things. ;P

And finally; Author: Here's the PITCH

The Nuclear Clam Guild (or Co) --title may change--

Plot idea: The MNCG(/C) (Mysterious Nuclear Clam Guild/Co) is looking for new employees to go hunting for rare, magical items to power the nuclear clams; such as the wondrous Golden Magikarp or the Forth Piece of the Triforce. However, there is might be more to this organization then it seems that creates these life-giving clams. Why do the Nuclear Clams need magic to run? What is DC really hiding? (And why does Tetromino love to turn everyone into a newt?) Could it be that this is some plan started by the mysterious Darth Honeytoast or the Great Empire Pineapple? Or is it that the boss (DC) and his staff are truly EVIL.

Plot style: Non-linear, long term plot with a center plot revolving around the truth of the Guild/Co. Other parts of the plot include; but are not limited to, finding magical items (which may sometimes be random things like MAGIC POWDER) to saving the world from the guardians of said items or even whatever the magical items might have sealed. Also, this would mean that you could (if you wanted) go after more than one thing at a time. While the more main plot is finding out the truth of NMCG, but I don't know how quickly this would come up, perhaps after a few adventures though there would be hints, I guess. Furthermore, for the most part, these comics should be humor, perhaps with some drama or more serious themes, but not like FF. Anyways, furthor details are below, have fun, and don't step on the Zetsu Newt! ;P

Spoiler: show
(In other words:

All non-staff are new employees.

All mods are staff.

Darth is the Boss. :P

Nuclear Clams are used to make the world live. They are a power source like electricity, but from the legendary, “life giving” clams. They POWER the world and nations buy them. Supposedly, the only way to make them is through the finding of rather powerful magical artifacts. This is what the employees are hired to do, while the staff I guess would take you off in teams or go off in teams to with a “junior member”, if that’s what you guys want... There are other people in charge of the making of clams…these people are not any of you. There may be some “in office” scenes, but very few scenes of making clams, that’s rather boring, don’t you think?)

Location of MNCG/C is in the Underwoods. Well, the Forbidden Underwoods. You could say that if it was not in the Underwoods, then that would be rather odd! But that is where the secret head quarters is located, not in Castle Town, nor in a big city. Why, because they can't find the secrets of the Guild/Co. :p

--Yours truly, the EDN ninja assassin. And also, (some) credit should go to ZE who helped come up with this idea. ;P

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:27 pm
First, i'll just be signing up as an author. Though I have no great ideas right now, I'll probably come up with something later or at least be able to help write individual plots once the comic gets started.

Also, i'm signing up as a character, and once again here is the reposting of my temporary concept art based off Zim and The Tallest:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx332/Invaderzzim/InvaderZzim.jpg?t=1286857585

I'll be editing Zim later probably to make him more of a "Zzim" and less of a "Zim" :p

Signing up for my own sign ups ftw xD

Last edited by Doctorzzim on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:40 pm
I'll try it. Alright, my character's name is Joss Silver (I am so unoriginal :P ), she loves to read, she always wears a green, baggy sweater that's much too big for her, has mousy brown hair and blue-grey eyes, and is fairly short. She has a blue lightsaber (aka, she's a jedi), is prone to saying random things, is somewhat sarcastic, and looks a bit like this (I didn't draw this, I have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever) : Image

Plot: We all get sucked into a Zelda game, preferably Ocarina of Time or Twilight princess. Maybe even Majora's Mask, which I think in particular would be interesting. In place of Link, we'd have to save Hyrule/Termina. I hope it doesn't sound too overused.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 am
I will sign up as author and potential artist. I will not sign up as a character because I ASSUME I AM GOING TO BE THE MAIN PROTAGONIST! (jk I do wanna be a character though.)

For the character, though, I should have a concept done EVENTUALLY....however it'll be done sometime AFTER October....maybe even in the end of November.....who knows?

As an Author, I have no plot ideas for now, (to be truthful I have TONS of ideas but right now none seem to be reasonable...or sane.) however I would enjoy revising other's plots and maybe helping with the humour aspect, which this comic should indeed entail.

I also vouch that we all get on Ventrilo once in a while and discuss these matters frequently.....yeah....

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:50 am
Well considering I was one of the people who started this idea I'd like to think I'll be laying a major role in this. :p.

Anyway I'd like to be involved in the art mostly (I'll have an example soon) and also with the plot.

I also have an innitial plot idea but I'll let you guys know what that is once I have a chance to wrte it up properly.
EDIT: My idea is to create a sort of nonsensical scenarion whereas several people (us) have become lost in some mysterious Underwoods and have to survive in them while being bombarded with improbable and generally crazy events.
basically there will be people lost and also some crazy characters (also us) that have been in the Underwoods for a while and the basic plot will be of the people who are lost trying to figure out what exactly is going on in the crazy world they are lost in as well as seeking the exit which they just cannot find.

the title would probably be "The Underwoods" and the place I gathered my inspiration for this plan is the webcomic Blank It http://blankitcomics.com/ .

Oh and while I think a few people working on the plot is a good idea I think sticking with just one artist would be best. Maybe have an artist and then an inker and formatter but there should be an obvious corralation with the art style unless you want something somewhat like Cianide and Happiness which has four distinct art styles.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:35 am
Zetsubou wrote:
Oh and while I think a few people working on the plot is a good idea I think sticking with just one artist would be best. Maybe have an artist and then an inker and formatter but there should be an obvious corralation with the art style unless you want something somewhat like Cianide and Happiness which has four distinct art styles.

While I agree with that, it would be best to at least have a person who could take over for the artist just in case of school/whatever. But, for the most part, someone should sketch, another person ink, and the last person color. It would make it probably the best efficient way of doing it, one of the other two people (more than likely the inker) should also be the substitute artist if things come up. Except, if you just want to like have someone drawing, then someone doing coloring and inking. :P

(yeah, I'm just assuming that inking/coloring would be my job...mebe...due to experience...does that make me boastful?) *tilts head*

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 am
If that's the case, I doubt I'd be confident enough to be an artist for any of those jobs <.<...

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:41 am
Tetromino wrote:
Zetsubou wrote:

While I agree with that, it would be best to at least have a person who could take over for the artist just in case of school/whatever. But, for the most part, someone should sketch, another person ink, and the last person color. It would make it probably the best efficient way of doing it, one of the other two people (more than likely the inker) should also be the substitute artist if things come up. Except, if you just want to like have someone drawing, then someone doing coloring and inking. :P

(yeah, I'm just assuming that inking/coloring would be my job...mebe...due to experience...does that make me boastful?) *tilts head*

Actually I think you'd be perfect for the role of inking and colouring. I know I'm not the best at that myself XD.

And BeeX don't put yourself down so much you may be able to provide some skill that everyone else is lacking.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 am
I am not that good an artist actually <.< I can only draw well if I have something pre-made to base off of...which explains why most of my drawings are either something from a videogame or else, random stuff I made on a whim. I am sure someone with more consistancy in their artwork might be a better choice here.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 am
masterbx wrote:
If that's the case, I doubt I'd be confident enough to be an artist for any of those jobs <.<...

Well, I think we can think this through more when other people sign up, and furthermore, if everyone does a concept art piece or has someone do some concept art for them, then you could just use those as reference or whatnot. I'm not sure if we're have one or two or whatnot for number of artists. We'll just have to see.

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Anyone can sign up) • Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:15 am
Okay here's some exmple of what I can do, keep in mind that it would look a lot cleaner in a final final version and typesetting would be done on a computer.

Also as I cannot access a scanner right now it's in kind of crappy photos.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/33450fded3.jpg

and zoomed in versions:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b55298cb73.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f81fb62057.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/382a84fd4b.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/96c0afeb56.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/7e2a5de904.jpg

the text in the last panel is kinda blurry, it says, "And that's how Zetsu turned into a Newt!"

I'm not sure if that's exactly what I want my character to look like but it's close enough. Here's an example of that version at least. http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/f05504b817.jpg

so tell me what you think and stuff?

Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Everyone should sign up) • Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 pm
Alright, I just got caught up on this thread, and I'm about to update the list. I have a few comments.

First to everyone discussing artists, I'd like to agree with the sketching, inking, and coloring. Sounds really good. Hopefully it won't be too hard choosing who will do the job in the future. And yes, I agree Tetromino that it will take time until more people sign up. With that in mind, I'd like to point out the obvious, that this thread has slowed down and it doesn't look like anyone else will sign up. Not even characters! So, we need to get the word out and let people know that this is happening because I don't know whether they don't know or if they are just ignoring it for some reason. You guys need to encourage the main members of the forum to join this, or it won't be near as good. This thing would be a much bigger success if we at least had DC, ZE, DL, AKA, BL, Yaz, and many more as a character.(Sorry if you got offended if I didn't list you, I was just naming a short list off the top of my head 0_0) But yeah, in order for this to work we need to get more people in here and show them that with their help and support this is highly possible. So, try to send people PM's, message them, and tell them to join and that this comic is going to be awesome and will be awesomer with them included. :P

Next, I'd like to agree with masterbx on the point of getting on vent and discussing things. There could definitely be an author's section open in vent eventually for everyone to come and come up with things. It's an excellent idea and I look forward to these meetings.

Lastly, I'd like to give a huge compliment to zet for that panel, because it's really amazing. The writing was superb, the drawing was great, I think that kind of panel is exactly the kind of stuff we're looking for in the final product. Now just imagine it worked on a little more, fixed up, inked and colored, it would look amazing. Also, your character design is awesome. So yes, at this point I feel zet is going to contribute a good amount to this and we might have a good shot at making this work. So, please guys, again, get people to sign up for a character at least. We're getting closer to being able to do this and it's pretty exciting :p

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Everyone should sign up) • Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:17 am
I say with the issue of people being included as characters that we should just include them unless they say no specifically and design the character ourselve if they don't want to do that.

And also I say that we should aim for a weekly update when we first start (however far away that is) to see if we can get used to that and and then ajust it accordingly once we've figured out how hard it will be.

In other news I will have my characters final design finished soon as well as an interpretation of Joss's specifications.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic - Sign Ups (Everyone should sign up) • Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:30 am
I say weekly updates are WAY too frequent and hard on both the artist and comic writers. I've seen nearly ALL webcomics fail at updating even Once a week (with the exception of 'Least I Could Do' which updates EVERY DAY).

I suggest may once a month to get started, but in that case it should be a longer comic than usual. Kinda like a Prologue Series. And then when/if we try earlier updates we could try Once every two weeks. I think that'll work.

Also I doubt we decided it, but have we decided a stable genre that we are trying to achieve? Comedy/Action sounds right but I think we could flush it out more than just that <.<

Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next