View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cave Story IS? 

Post Cave Story IS? • Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:03 am
I'm extremely hesitant and nervous about this, but here goes. (Will edit stuff later on. "More interaction" outline needs fine tuning. Suggestions appreciated.)

Many CS spoilers abound.

The Plot: Mr. Traveler (our main robot pal) is following Sue in a mad dash to escape the island as it plummets. Having finished off the U.C. but sustained injuries, he isn't at top condition as he runs across the Balcony. The next thing he knows, he's sprawled on the ground under a piece of debris. Then Sue is at his side, pulling on his broken arm, shouting at him not to give up, not to die, and how dare he not listen to her about hurrying while the castle breaks apart behind them. He hears it before he sees it but that doesn't make a difference as the pillar topples, its shadow cast over them, and Sue can't see it because her eyes are shut as she pulls and he can't scream loud enough to warn her

Crunch!

He awakens in the First Cave and it's not long before he realizes: the nightmare is about to start all over again.

What transpires is a (hopefully long) story of "Mr. Traveler" - he has no idea what his name is yet - as he tries repeatedly to save those who die and then concentrates on the whole island populace. As you can guess, this won't be pretty nor easy.

Interactivity: Where do you lovely people come in? Well we need to extend Mr. Traveler's adventure so instead of stopping in, say, Grasstown/Bushlands and asking "Now what?" the suggestions and ideas will be for the next cycle of futile resistance. As long as it's within the realm of possibility, we'll see what the suggestions result in. I want to keep Mr. Traveler in character (mostly caring about others and being persistent) and almost anything silly to have some kind of serious undertone if it has to do with rescuing people. Granted, that can change given the right circumstances.
Anyone can suggest stuff for Mr. Traveler's fate.

Want more Interaction? Okay then! At some point in the story (if it gets off the ground) some people will be chosen to have a shot at writing a looped cycle, several condensed ones, or many short-lived cycles in something like a verbal montage, and get it placed as an official chapter.
Technical stuff now (needs tweeking): The cycle has to go by me via PM. There are some checks it has to go through and if it passes, you can post it as part of the story.

Checks:
- Spelling/grammar (minor bit here)
- Silly and serious stuff allowed (although seriousness is preferred)
- Sensibility of the event(s)
- Interference with (currently) 2 plot points. Chances of this happening are nil. :P

Last note: This can't officially begin until I can type properly on a computer.

So, what do y'all think? Okay, meh, stupid?

I've never done an IS before and it's daunting to contemplate.
Now I'll quietly go lose my mind.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Last edited by SmashQueen on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 am
I'm in. Hopefully the idea actually gets off the ground.

Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 am
I like it, and if I'm considered a good enough writer I'll totally join in. At the moment, though, I'm at a loss for ideas.

~Samuel Clemens

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 am
BX: I hope so too.

DL: I'll look over FF later for reference and don't worry about ideas right now. The first cycle is still hung up in development. :p

Should suggesters and cycle writers be in the same category?
And if a writer's cycle in a 1/1000 chance takes off with a hidden agenda, I'll adapt. If not... I've no idea.

And then some.

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 am
SmashQueen wrote:
DL: I'll look over FF later for reference and don't worry about ideas right now. The first cycle is still hung up in development. :p

Or I could make things less painful for you and explain the system used in FF.

Basically, ZE is in charge and knows where the story should go...and uses some ideas from certain writers that happen to be more into the "know". Yes, a secret inner circle is actually a good idea when planning out a basic plot because you can pinpoint problems and come up with better solutions. It helps to also have a plan, you can change said plan, but just like writing a story of any length longer than a few pages you need to plan FIRST before you write. It doesn't have to be intensive, it doesn't have to include everything, but you need an idea of where it should end up. Even if it's just you (and some other people/person). Writing a story needs planning, that's just how it is. Trust me, ZE knows where FF is going...mostly. :P

Remember to schedule too. Keep to the schedule, but allow for exceptions in case of family emergency, sickness, etc. :P

So, plan, strategize, be willing to change and WORK. Work even when you don't want to. I've found that just working on something will get the juices going even if it means forcing yourself into action. Even if it means you get a sucky piece of crap first draft. Edit later. Writing is always NOAA until you're done with it...Just not as stressful. :p

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 am
o_o Whoa. Looks like this is going to be a bigger challenge than I thought. The reason I brought up this idea as an IS was because I couldn't think of how to extend things for more than 4 posts (fourth was to have multiple cycles with a bunch of breaks or transitions; I should really add to the first post that others can do the same). Not enough to get anywhere near a resolution (which needs more cycles).

I rarely collaborate with anyone in fictional stuff, and an inner circle would probably consist of BX and DL at this point.

Now I'm confused about how to handle this. @_@ The plan is roughly this (no names, places, or specific events mentioned other than what's in the summary above):
Spoiler: show
- Mr. Traveler dies.
- Resets/Fails repeatedly.
- [REDACTED]
- [REDACTED]
- More failure and resets.
- [DATA EXPUNGED]
- [DATA EXPUNGED]
- ???
- Success!

So yeah. Obvious as it goes with any Groundhog Day-type fic, but it needs more than I got to achieve this.

Thanks for the info, Tetromino!

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:52 am
I think it's worth pointing out that, if it's run the same way as FF, it may take two years to complete. ;P

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am
This probably'll start when Smoosh gets her computer. So make that 3 years. :P

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 pm
3 years sounds accurate.

New dilemma: While everything is still up in the air, I'm questioning if suggesters should be everyone and writer positions limited to 5. O_o Like I said, never did an IS before and I'm pretty clueless.

Tetromino pretty much took care of the last question.

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm
Well, I don't see anything wrong with everybody being allowed to suggest things. As for writers, the limit probably is a non-issue. It's probably worth noting that fewer writers means you'll be able to keep more control of the story, and, given that it's your idea, that might be for the better.

~Samuel Clemens

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
Well, I don't see anything wrong with everybody being allowed to suggest things. As for writers, the limit probably is a non-issue. It's probably worth noting that fewer writers means you'll be able to keep more control of the story, and, given that it's your idea, that might be for the better.

It was stupid putting a limit to begin with. >_< Bluh bluh big idiot.
Limiting writers won't be a problem considering how many people on the forum are interested in CS and have gotten to Sanc.
Thanks DL. I think the whole CS IS idea locked away a good deal of sensibility. @_@

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 pm
SmashQueen wrote:
3 years sounds accurate.

New dilemma: While everything is still up in the air, I'm questioning if suggesters should be everyone and writer positions limited to 5. O_o Like I said, never did an IS before and I'm pretty clueless.

Tetromino pretty much took care of the last question.

I think writers should be limited not by number, but by the time period they are allowed to sign up. Like, have a two week sign up period, then close it. You don't want new writers jumpin' in after a year has past. Okay, that worked with FF, but that was me. :think:

It's hard though to balance something if you have more than 10 writers. Actually, it's hard to balance with 8 because of varying skills of said writers and such. You know, if you weren't all so addicted to CS, I could've suggested a SMRPG IS and gotten away with it...but then I might be expected to write. :L

Yeah, this is better. *sets, is lazy* 8D

EDIT: On second thought, if you're like me and need to see a literal example, then you SHOULD look over FF. Or at least the FF-talk thread. There. Saving my butt before ZE posts. <_<

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:17 pm
Hmm. Good points. Maybe when things are just about ready, I'll open writer positions for 10 days. Only requirement is to have played the best ending path (plot reasons). >_>

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm
Seeing as I keep being name-dropped, I'll give my thoughts as well as my advice. No, you're just going to have to deal! D:

1. Cave Story IS? Yes, please ;D. The premise of a limbo-esque storyline, where Quote seemingly is trapped experiencing the same events (with key differences based on decisions, random chance, etc.), sounds... epic-sauce. While I have said before, with this sort of narrative it may be hard to keep going if everyone does not share the same initiative. But I believe in the cause. Tentatively I would like to join, I say this since you have abolished your maximum allowed authors, so I might not be able to keep up with this claim D:

2. Sign-up cutoffs are a good idea, heck, should be the best way of getting people involved in your Story. You may find, say, 6 months - 1 year down the line that things have gone stale and you need fresh blood: I reiterate what Tetromino said, introducing new writers can be a godsend if you can trust in their ability and commitment.

3. Having an assigned leader, obviously yourself, is pretty much mandatory. I have found that having a small inner circle of 'in-the-know' or 'sort-of-in-the-know' authors makes my job much easier. Before you start, you should have a solid idea of how your plot will advance, as well as a slew of significant events: this makes writing in the IS more enjoyable because you can't wait to wow your fellow authors/readers with a particular scene or dialogue.

4. While you have removed a maximum for potential authors I will say try not to go overboard. Too many authors results in too many ideas, which can result in too many conflicts of interests. A story can grow to be almost unwieldy with too many peeps cooking the same soup. I don't even know what I'm saying now.

5. All of this 'FF this' 'FF that' should be taken with a grain of salt. Run the show how you want, as DL has pointed out, the way FF runs can cause terrible delays because I'm too nice about due dates... for others and myself :P. I hope that after this story has taken off that all these mentions of Forever Forgotten will go away. Friendly competition for reading Interactive Stories should do the forums some good.

That's all of this pointless addendum D:

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW

Post Re: Cave Story IS? • Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:19 pm
ZE:

1. It's not TOTALLY abolished. Truthfully, I'm hoping more people play and get there so a set number returns. D: Currently only 3 people in this thread are eligible (including yourself :p) and very few people on EDN meet the current requirements. Those are the only reasons a set number isn't listed right now. :P

2. 6 - 12 months, eh? Huh. Well, we'll see what happens.

3. I'm not sure how many inner circle writers I should have at this point considering the circumstances. As for the plot, there's only 3 specific events and no dialogue (Mr. Traveler's mute and this focuses on him sooo yeah) planned at the moment and the second requires [REDACTED]. Whoops. ._. Er, I'll save the details for the inner circle writers. What I do need, however, is suggestions. My brain is muddled and can't deal with radical ideas right now. -_-

4. A max cap would be 4 or 5. (It feels reasonable.) I have no intentions of reaching double digits.

5. Okie doke. :3 Thanks ZE.

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next