View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 So I'm building a new computer... 
Administrator

Post So I'm building a new computer... • Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:56 pm
In 8 months. However, I would like some suggestions/advice on how to build an awesome gaming/graphics machine. Just the computer, no peripherals.

I fully expect this thread to become a swirling vortex of nerdque madness, tearing at the very fabic of time and space. Anything less will be a disappontment. :P

Anyway to the computer. Right now I'm running and old Intel P4 (640) with hyperthreading and a Radeon X700 for my video card. This *Navi* is clearly not going to cut it for Bioshock, let alone Crysis and SCII when they come out.

So, after looking at a few things, here are some questions I had:

Would it be better to get a Standard Core Duo 2 at 3.00 GHz or a Quad Core at 2.6 GHz

How much power would I need to run two 8800 GTX SLI and will I melt my computer in the process?

Motherboard. Does it really matter if I just get the cheap one?

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 pm
I would get the standart core duo, And I'm not sure about how much power would be needed... But i wouldn't go with a cheap motherboard, they fry easily. thats just my input.... Oh and i would try to get as much ram as possible, such as a gig or two. any less will be hard to play those games.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:24 am
I'm also building a new computer Darth.
I'm putt'n 4gigs of ram in mine but if i were you i'd have atleats 2gigs

Very nice choice in graphics cards but if you plan to run 2 768 cards you might want to think about heat!
I perscribe watercooled if you're keeping it in a cabinent or something, but those arn't totaly relieable and if it leaks...
You better have lots on fans even if it's open and on a desk lol!

IDK about the power, havent done my homework on power supplies yet

Dude! You need a hi-def TV to use as a moniter, I perscribe a 32" toshiba like mine 8)

And you need a bare minimum of 500gb-HDD, I perscribe a western digital Probly 2 500GB-HDDs

Oh and splurge on the Processor!!!!!!!!!! do not go cheep on the CPU or mother board!!!
You need a good mother board and CPU to run everything, but u surely know that Darth

Profile YIM WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:21 pm
0_o

Guy, I'm a Materials Engineering STUDENT. Not a Materials ENGINEER yet. That is seriously a lot of cash.

But, I'm thinking of holding off in light of news that was released today regarding Intel's new chip. It's suppose to be as big a jump of perfomance over Core 2 Duo as Core 2 Duo is over a P4. The thing is. I don't know if I want to wait an extra year for it. :S

Decisions, decisions.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:44 pm
Check your e-mail.s There's a nice surprise waiting for you.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]