View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Google Chrome 
Sheikah Elder

Post Google Chrome • Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 pm
Googles new browser, it's clean and simple.

Each tab is its own process meaning if one fails it wont take all of them down with it.

http://www.google.com/chrome/

For more information.

Administrator

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:20 pm
Quote:
Did you know that when you download Google's new Chrome browser, you agree that any "content" you "submit, post or display" using the service — whether you own its copyright or not — gives Google a "perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute" it? Google's ambitions for Chrome are even larger than we thought; by the letter of this license, Google will own all information that flows through its browser.

-Source-

~Samuel Clemens

Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:27 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
[url=http://valleywag.com/5044902/the-5-most-laughable-terms-of-service-on-the-net]-Source-[/color]

epic fail at attempted URL

ZE Edit: Epic win at spamming.

LH: This hurts ZE, this hurts

Last edited by Last Hylian on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:50 pm
Meh doesn't apply to me, all I do is Myspace, stickam, and sometimes email.

Overall win browser

Administrator

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:56 pm
Um, no. It's full, and I mean BLOODY FULL of security holes. It tries to steal your content, and has nothing to protect you on the web.

Overall fail browser.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:09 pm
Quote:
Chrome periodically downloads updates of two blacklists (one for phishing and one for malware) and warns users when they attempt to visit a harmful site. This service is also made available for use by others via a free public API called "Google Safe Browsing API". In the process of maintaining these blacklists, Google also notifies the owners of listed sites who may not be aware of the presence of the harmful software.[9]

Quote:
Each tab in Chrome is sandboxed into its own process to "prevent malware from installing itself" or "using what happens in one tab to affect what happens in another". Following the principle of least privilege, each process is stripped of its rights and can compute but can not write files or read from sensitive areas (e.g. documents, desktop)—this is similar to "Protected Mode" that is used by Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista. The Sandbox Team is said to have "taken this existing process boundary and made it into a jail";[11] for example malicious software running in one tab is unable to sniff credit card numbers, interact with the mouse or tell "Windows to run an executable on start-up" and will be terminated when the tab is closed. This enforces a simple computer security model whereby there are two levels of multilevel security (user and sandbox) and the sandbox can only respond to communication requests initiated by the user.[9]

Quote:
Plugins such as Adobe Flash Player are typically not standardised and as such cannot be sandboxed like tabs. These often need to run at or above the security level of the browser itself. To reduce exposure to attack, plugins are run in separate processes that communicate with the renderer, itself operating at "very low privileges" in dedicated per-tab processes. Plugins will need to be modified to operate within this software architecture while following the principle of least privilege.[9]

Quote:
Chrome supports the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI),[12][13] but does not support the embedding of ActiveX controls.[13] Also, Chrome does not have an extension system such as Mozilla-compatible *.xpi cross-platform extension architecture[14] and thus XPI-based extensions such as AdBlock and GreaseMonkey can not be adapted to Chrome.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chrome#Security

And, that's only two days after release, meaning any small security flaws will be sorted out.

EULA Fix wrote:
The passage in question was inherited from the general Google terms of service. The Register summarized the passage as "Your copyright goes up in smoke." Google responded to this criticism by stating that the language used was borrowed from other products, and would be removed. They also stated that the change would "apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome."
The passage in question has since been removed from the Terms of Service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_chr ... of_service

Last edited by The Forbidden One on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:21 pm
Overall win 8)

DL: Nice spam. Use the edit button.

Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 pm
Wikipedia links phail since ANYONE can modify the wiki page. I'll still be using firefox and opera for my web browsing.

*Edit* You also can't beat FF's addons.

"I used to be able to input a cheat code, now I've got to enter a credit card"
-John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

"If 'something that is utterly incomprehensible' starts getting popular, doubt your generation. Consider that something may be very wrong."
-Kaiki Deishuu

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:50 pm
Well if you don't believe wikipedia, view the reference links to websites that aren't edited by anyone :/

Even tho there isn't any reason not to accept what's on Wikipedia when they source most everything, and have moderators to fix or delete false pages.

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:26 am
I like it simply because it breaks the standard of most browsers. With Google Chrome, they've focused on todays web standards and computing, and pull out key ideas on how to make a better web browser. Being that this is the first version, it's almost guaranteed to have flaws, just like many other programs. Just sit back and wait. It'll likely get better.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:19 pm
Update: Google Chrome has just been made to work on Mac and Linux. Hooray.
-Source-

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]