View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Change Vista boot sound 

Did you find this article helpful?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Change Vista boot sound 
Hylian Squire

Post Change Vista boot sound • Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:48 am
For those vista users out there who wish to change the way Vista sounds when it starts up, Hyrule_knight (moi) has some steps for thou!

1) Locate your System32 folder (using search preferably). Locate your imageres.dll file, and make a copy onto your desktop.

2) Download an application called ResHacker http://delphi.icm.edu.pl/ftp/tools/ResHack.zip

3) Extract it, open it, then within the program open imageres.dll

4) Click WAVE, then open the subsequent folders until you locate one called "1033" (North America, is different for each region im guessing). Right-click, then click Replace Resource. Chose your sound file (must be a WAVE file), then in Resource Type, type "WAVE". In Resource Name type "5051" or whatever your first folder was named, and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number the file was beforehand). Click Replace.

5) Save the file. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DELETE THE IMAGERES_ORIGINAL.DLL THAT IT CREATES FOR BACKUP PURPOSES.

6) Shut-down your computer the "cool" way by just pushing and holding the power button. This will cause it to shut down improperly (which we want).

7) Restart the computer, then when it prompts you, log in to safe mode.

8) Search for System32 in the search bar. Open it, delete the imageres.dll file in there, then drag the "new" one from your desktop into the System32 folder.

9) Restart computer, and enjoy!

I just did this and now have the Vista Beta (i.e. Longhorn) startup noise (one with the woman in it) as my startup sound. I hearts it.

Just please, for the love of god, don't delete the imageres file THEN proceed to step 7 because it will mess up your boot.

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:12 pm
Cool trick; I'd probably use it if I wasn't planning to switch to Linux soon.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]