View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Windows 7 
Sheikah Elder

Post Windows 7 • Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:18 pm
Yes, Vista failed SO epically they are already (have been for a while) working on the next Windows OS.

It's more of a HUGE update to Vista, rather than a completely new OS from what I can see, but there are a few huge differences.

Anyway, what do you guys think about it? I personally think it's ugly, and the task bar seems to be getting bigger and bigger with every new Windows OS, pretty soon the task bar will be 500px tall.

If you haven't heard about it/seen it here's the Wikipedia article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm
We'll see I guess.... Could be good, or it could be terrible...

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 am
I'm on a few programming forums, and from what I've heard/seen it's great. The speed is effecient, though it uses quite a bit of RAM, but that's only because it works to it's fullest potential. I'm really eager to try this one out.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:26 am
It could also be using tons of ram because it's not yet optimized, it's still in beta, so they probably haven't really worried too much about performance yet.

I just hope it doesn't suck as much as Vista does. I got a new laptop for Christmas with Vista pre installed and It's been nothing but trouble.

But back to W7 I don't like the GUI it's HUGE bulky and square, they should completely overhaul it or go back to something XP style, to waste less ram.

Administrator

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:49 pm
Maybe I'm not picky with my OS or something, because I haven't had any troubles with Vista for these last 2 years except that it won't delete files every now and then because I'm missing permissions. (Then a few minutes/measurements of time later they can be).

Anyhow. It really looks like it'll be the saving grace of the Microsoft OS reputation, or not ;P. The one thing I'm concerned about right now is whether or not the name will be creative or not.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:43 pm
Well, I have a friend, (reliable source) who tells me that Windows 7 is indeed far better than Vista. I've been told that Install time has GREATLY been depreciated. (From 1 hour on his machine to 20 minutes.)

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 pm
I also heard, that Windows 7, only took twenty minutes to install.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:27 pm
Mr. Goron wrote:
I also heard, that Windows 7, only took twenty minutes to install.

Those commas were completely unnecessary...

Anyways.... I'm really getting excited about this since it's getting ok reviews.... I want beta....

Administrator

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm
Last Hylian wrote:
Those commas were completely unnecessary...
And "anyways" is not a word, the 's' has no business there.

Back on topic, I do hope, for the sake of Microsoft, that Windows 7 is better than Vista, even though I'll still cling to my beloved XP Pro (it loads all my crap in under a minute, eh?). In my opinion, it was probably all downhill after XP, loading systems with eye-candy and whatnot, probably making them take five minutes to load up to the login screen alone. XP reigns supreme in the world of Windows, and even loads at the same speed as Linux (take that, Linux!) on my computer, even a bit faster.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:46 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
XP reigns supreme in the world of Windows, and even loads at the same speed as Linux (take that, Linux!) on my computer, even a bit faster.

You must not be running Gentoo linux. Gentoo = blazing fast. Also, use ext3 filesystems.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 pm
/Off topic - I sense so much hostility among these boards ROFL its the same couple of people nit picking every little thing each one does :x

/BACK ON TOPIC

I just want something that I can play my games on, I have so many Sims two games that I can't play because Vista is a piece of crap operating system and is so incompatible with XP.

Windows 7 is said to fix most, if not all the incompatibilities Vista had, and it will be 100% compatible with anything that was made for Vista.

I mean the only reason anyone has Windows is because almost all commercial products are made for it, and if they cant even make an OS that runs software idk how they will stay on top, so hopefully Windows 7 fixes all that crap.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:44 pm
:|

Vista and Windows 7 are basically built on the same platform. This probably won't change the fact that stuff that wasn't compatible with Vista and was with XP is still not compatible with 7. The only true difference is that now that it's been a few years, companies have finally started making drivers for Vista, so there's no concerns when upgrading to 7.

IMHO, XP was a load of crap. It crashed on me all the fricking time, and I honestly was glad when I switched to Vista and experienced like... less than 1% of the number of crashes I had with XP in the same time frame.

I'm on the Windows 7 Beta, haven't used it much myself, but so far so good. Personally though, I feel that a lot of the gripes people have with Vista are really just unproven rumors. Vista may appear to use a lot of RAM when idling... but really, the instant you open up more tasking programs, Vista just sends the RAM over to whatever needs it most. After all, RAM not in use is pretty much RAM wasted.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:34 am
Update on windows 7:

Currently, I'm still using the Beta 7068 build, even though the Release Candidate 1 is out. Thus far, I've noticed it's relatively fast, compared to Windows XP on this machine. (I'm running dual boot) Inside of 7 is an XP Software emulator, for when programs don't want to work in 7. Although useful, it does not always solve your problems, I have found out. (Sound card on my god box is too old, and they don't make sound cards with 15-pin game ports attached. Or even 15-pin ports for that matter.) I'd (at the time of this post) call this a success.

Tips:
-Tired of UAC popping up all the time? Disable it! Windows key+r > msconfig > Tools tab > Change UAC settings. (Old but useful)
-7 automatically handles .ISO files. wake-up juice in a DVD and go! (It does not know how to extract them though!)

Zora Guard

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm
I have Windows 7 Ultimate, and it runs great. The speed is incredible! I moved 400 MB worth of my music in under 3 seconds. :D What I really like about it is that it saved me from a horrible Internet problem back then, about a month ago. But back on topic; this OS seems to meet my standers an OS should have. :)

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Windows 7 • Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 am
You've turned into a regular tech conosuier (spelling XP) eh C-Lad.

anyway I have not aquired this yet but all my friends who have say it works great.

Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next