View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Starting a NEW Zelda site 
Hylian Squire

Post Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:30 am
Here's the deal, I'm looking for people to help me build a site, mostly from scratch. I've never built a site before, I have limited knowledge of how to do it, but I've wanted to do this for a good 4 years now.

My previous webmaster-like experience, and my credentials:
Landofthelegend.net (Offline now) I was an Admin, full posting privileges and all that jazz, the only thing I couldn't do was change the source code to the site itself.
Forum Moderator on several boards on several random Zelda sites. I probably still have Mod right's there, but it's been years since I've bothered.
I can usually pull a project together, and get people motivated to do something. If they don't, I smack them across the head, which usually works.

Here's what I can supply when building a site:
Money for a host and domain name. That is usually the problem with many starter sites, is that they lack any funding. I honestly don't have much either, but I have enough to register a domain name and get a cheap host until I'm out of college.
Art, fancy stuff, details, etc. I've been a Photoshop user for a few years now, I know the program in and out, I've done graphic design (Been a while, will need practice >.>) for sites, and I do original art work as well to give it a not so robotic feel.
Flash, I know it, and will be learning it come time to make a portfolio for school in about 6 months.
Ideas. This is where it all comes down to, and I'll put these in the next paragraph.

Since every Zelda site has pretty much been done, from just a Zelda news site to a site dedicated to wallpapers of Twilight Princess, mostly of Midna (Is that site still even around? The name escapes me...), in order to make a site that is fun, it has to be original. I'm sure a lot of you know The Grand Adventures, but the webmaster there (Oh yeah, I offered to help out there too) isn't updating there anymore. Years ago when I was younger I loved that site. Why? It seemed community driven. Stories, music, art, etc were mostly user done. And that's what I want to do, provide a great community that also interacts with other Zelda communities on the web, but pushes its users to do more than just post on a forum.

Here's what I want the site to be, as brief as possible:
-A news site (Frontpage)
-An art site (Traditional, Digital, 3D, craft)
-A history site (Wikipedia of Zelda (Oh yeah, I also worked on a massive bestiary a long time ago, one of the biggest that was around at the time. I don't remember if that got published)
-A music site. Think ZREO, but better. How so? Teach people how to PLAY the songs, multiple instruments, resources, expansions into other genres of music, etc. Build talent.
-A forum. A place where people can discuss not only Zelda but what ever else comes to mind. Like the Random board of most forums.
-A system like Digg.com or Reddit.com where users can Upvote (Aka, Digg) or Downvote (Aka, Bury) an article, post, etc. The more popular a post, the higher it goes on the forum, the lower the rating, the lower the post.
-Other games as well, not just Zelda. Separate part of the site, kinda like a mirror to the site. (Gametrailers/Screwattack kinda thing)

So, who do I need?
Programmers. People that know people who know people who can do it. PHP, CSS, MYSQL, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, FLASH, and all that relates. If you yourself don't know how to do something but you know someone, please send them my way, you have no idea how much I appreciate any help. Know someone who host's websites for free, or can help someone out? Them too! Also, I should mention, that if I have to pay someone to build the site, I can pay them, but... Since I'm in college, and have another $7000 to save by August, AND rent/food money for the rest of the year (Another +$8800 living expenses), I will pay them after I am done half my school year in August/January. I am good to my word, my honor and pride are too tall and upstanding to steal from someones hard work.

Why am I doing this?
Several reasons. For fun. This is meant to be a fun exercise, as well as a learning experience for all members involved. I know right now that I will not always be the admin of my own site, and one day must pass it off to someone else, but this will be a building block in my base of knowledge as well as other peoples too. I've also always wanted to be the best news site on the net when it comes to games/Zelda, because I usually know things before other people.

So, that's about all I'm writing tonight. I will be updating this post as time goes on with more ideas, what's happening if anyone has volunteered, and what's the final goal of this project. Post here to keep the thread afloat, as well as send me a PM, or add me to MSN/Gmail and chat with me. I'm usually on in the evenings and during school.

Till then,
Paradox

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 pm
I may not know much about, but I'll help out. If you also need a name, for anything, then I can help with that, too.

Profile YIM
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:05 pm
I might be able to help out, as long as I don't need to use money :wink:

Zora Guard

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:14 pm
I'm here to help!

I have knowledge in HTML... Shouldnt be so hard to do it. I know how to:
Make a directory, Banner, Images, anything reaLLY. ^.^

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:41 am
Cirus wrote:
I'm here to help!

I have knowledge in HTML... Shouldnt be so hard to do it. I know how to:
Make a directory, Banner, Images, anything reaLLY. ^.^

HTML is a bit too basic for what I want. EDN definitely isn't all HTML, and I want the site to compare to EDN/ZREO in terms of usability and function. Do you know more than HTML?

Zora Guard

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 am
I can do HTML I a lot of other stuff, too. Even a Shout Box!

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:18 am
Cirus wrote:
I can do HTML I a lot of other stuff, too. Even a Shout Box!

Things like that are added features to a site, inserted applications for a general specific use. If you want, show me what you can do, and we'll go from there :) Remember, proper formatting, not everything aligned left, not everything center. Navigation bar is a must, main page for notices etc etc etc, and let's see where it goes.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:24 am
oooh missed this 8O . hmmm I'll join, sounds fun. I cant really code much (I only know some HTML) but, I can help with appearance matters like banner design etc. if you need that.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:25 am
My guess is there are probably two or three people in this place who could realistically help you with the hardcore coding stuff: the guy who runs this place (maybe), and probably Mr. Goron (who shows up very sporadically). And maybe that GIAKEN guy, from what little I've managed to ascertian about him. And maybe DL; I don't know how he is with programming stuff.

Administrator

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:42 am
Unfortunately Yaz, I cannot accept that praise just yet. I myself and going to be taking up the mantle of web programming this summer, so come see me then.

That aside, DC would be your best bet right now if he can find time. GIAKEN might also be able to, but Mr. Goron's experience with web programming is limited.

~Samuel Clemens

Administrator

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:14 pm
I can't really help much with creating a new site. EDN and ZeldaBlog takes up all of my time. But I'd be happy to help along the way and look over your coding. :P

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:23 am
Darth Citrus wrote:
I can't really help much with creating a new site. EDN and ZeldaBlog takes up all of my time. But I'd be happy to help along the way and look over your coding. :P

Hehe, my coding? It's been months, probably closer to a year actually, since I coded even basic HTML. Re-learning that, and PHP and how a website goes together, and school and work would kill me right now, that's why I'm looking for outside help. How much does Mr. Goron know?

Administrator

Post Re: Starting a NEW Zelda site • Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:35 am
I'd say intermediate HTML, but he's got his time constrained by Asphodel Games.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact him though; he just might have the time and will to help. Would you like me to contact him for you?

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]