View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Laptop 
Terminian Captain

Post New Laptop • Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:36 pm
I need suggestions for a new laptop. I'm not getting it right away, but I want some idea of what kind I want right now. I want it to have good stats, at least 3 GB of RAM, not lag much, play games smoothly, and just do a bunch of other high quality stuff that I can't do that well with my moderately good computer now. I was thinking of spending anywhere between 500 and 800 dollars. Oh, and PC not Mac. I know I shouldn't exactly be relying on other people for what I buy, but you know if there are some people here who are really satisfied with a laptop or know really good brands that they know i'd like, i'd be up for considering it. So, if you guys have any suggestions or anything to offer i'd greatly appreciate it. :p

Zora Guard

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:33 am
...what kind of games... and what do you need the RAM for primarily?

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Terminian Captain

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 pm
Well one example is Borderlands, something I can't handle. I just want enough RAM to handle high emulation like to be able to play an N64 and maybe a Gamecube if it doesn't cost a huge amount. I also want to be able to stream live to my friends without lag and just overall have a good computer performance. I did hear from someone that a desktop would be way cheaper, so i'm considering getting a gaming desktop and keeping my current laptop.

Administrator

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:16 pm
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a laptop that can run Borderlands (as an example) at all smoothly and is all around at least decent for non-gaming activities will cost at least 1200, and more realistically 1500.

My recommendation is checking out http://toshibadirect.com for something, maybe try customizing the customizable laptops on there. I swear by Toshiba computers (but stay away from the Tecra sub-brand).

~Samuel Clemens

Zora Guard

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:37 pm
My thoughts exactly.

Even a gaming rig desktop of decent standards will cost around 1000.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Terminian Captain

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:14 pm
I'm pretty sure I want a desktop now. Is there any place that customizes desktops like that website?

Zora Guard

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:39 am
Pretty much anyone customizes desktops.

However, you are best off getting from a computer parts retailer, and not companies like Dell or whatever.

I use NCIX or MemoryExpress here in Canada. NCIX also has an American retail. However, I usually know exactly what I want to buy/what I'm getting.

If you're less versed in computer parts knowledge, better stick with something like Dell or HP or something, but I don't expect much from those companies any more. I build my own computers now.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: New Laptop • Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:21 am
If you're in the Americas, you could buy from newegg. I'm suprised I didn't notice this thread earlier lol. *goes off to build a system really quick.*

You can build a decent system for around 800. High end systems (i.e i7 machines) are likely to be around $1,200 USD and up.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]