View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:31 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Website Critique 
Hylian Squire

Post Website Critique • Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:55 pm
Website Critique
This is a nice little feature I like to post on forums to help other webmasters get the much needed critique and critisism needed to maintain and keep up a clean, wonderful site.

Go ahead and post here; I will review your site and give you some helpful feedback. Hopefully, other members will join in and help give you some feedback as well.

Please beaware, my responses arent generated to attack your site or twart your efforts. Any response from me is for the purpose of helping you to improve your site and spot your weaknesses. Dont take it as a negative reaction or insult, Im only trying to help!

With that being said, go ahead, post!!

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:26 pm
I guess I'll go first. Wouldn't want this idea to die. :D

Go ahead and click my WWW button if you wanna see my site. It's called Mabe Village, and it's the very first Zelda fan site to use a Flash interface. I worked on it for about two months until I officially opened it earlier this month.

I'm open to all critique. I like it when people give me suggestions on how to do things better! :D

- Me!

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:31 pm
I love the flash idea of completely controlling the site through it. You should try using real Zelda sprites next time, though :P It would just make it a bit better on the visual end.

To keep this short and sweet, I have comiled a list for ya!

Negatives
- I couldnt get into some houses. That will deter people.
- Controlling Link was fun, but slow unless you held down the key.
- There are two different forums!!
- AN option to turn the sound off would be nice.

Positives
- Like before, it was fun! Like playing Zelda.
- It has potential to grow into a powerful site, and will as you improve.
- It is different than 99% of the sites I've visited.
- It was alright visually, definetly not negative, just alright.

I would love to see how your site progresses as you grow in skill. You have an awsome idea going on, and should stick with it. You should try to get make a nicer header for the site, and use some nice sprites for the actual flash. I dont mean this in a negative way, but it would definetly grab the visitors eye better.

If you change the site, post so I can check it out!

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:53 pm
Alright! Just what I wanted to hear! Well, I can explain myself on a few of your negatives, so don't mind if I do! :D

- Those houses aren't really meant to be accessible, if only because I couldn't think of what sections they could serve as. However, like you said, I may be able to add a little more as I progress. Perhaps the shop could become a 'store' where you can 'buy' avatars and stuff? I don't know, I'm not very skilled when it comes to art...

- You're supposed to hold down the key! :D No, I'm just kidding. I understood what you meant, but to tell you the truth, I have NO idea why it does that, nor do I know how to fix it. If I'm thinking correctly, you mean how Link kinda jerks into movement after you've held the key for long enough, right? If so, then yeah, I definitely plan to look into it in the near future.

- One forum is a normal forum that I created especially for the site, the other forum is a forum RPG that I made a while back.

As for the sound option thingy, I can definitely give that a try. Maybe this weekend? I already have an idea of how I can do it...

Oh, and as for the Zelda sprites, I didn't really want to use official sprites, if only because I'd have to get them from somewhere else. However, I do plan to touch up the sprites I made a little (hopefully over Spring Break), since they could be a whole lot more detailed and stuff.

This is exactly why I like receiving feedback on the stuff I do: it gives me ideas on what to make better. I would have appreciated just a negatives list, even! But positives are always nice to hear. :D

EDIT:: Would you believe that the mute option is already up? Well, it is! :D

EDIT (Again):: I fixed up the header just a bit. It's still not nice, per say, but it looks a little better in my opinion.

- Me!

Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]