View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) 
Sheikah Elder

Post To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 am
In light of a friend potentially... Uh... Going to prison because of Google's new privacy policy, I feel that it is important you should all watch this video, or at least read up on the new terms of service. Seriously though, please watch this. It could save you. Seriously. This is a big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtgQB_sd ... AAAAAAAEAA

Administrator

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am
It's almost enough to make one switch back to Mozilla and Yahoo. I might have to do that.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Squire

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:48 pm
Seriously? Time to switch...again. Although I don't know to what. It seems like I've tried almost everything else out there.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 pm
From what I can see, they're just taking all your info from everything you've done on google related sites and condensing it into one profile. What are we all worried about?

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:43 pm
That people will think we're naughty! :D

Actually, I have nothing to worry about personally (because I'm ridiculously clean), but from my understanding it's basically what aka said. You don't have to freak out, they're just using you're...err...condensed profile to tailor it to you. Yes, more individual personalization gimmicks!

*sigh* It IS kinda freaky though, because GOOGLE IS NOW GOOGLING YOU. :D

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:54 pm
I find these new terms disturbing. I like to keep certain matters to myself (such as the unhealthy amount of googling I do for SMRPG and Zelda music and e-mails to friends), so knowing that they're making individual profiles freaks me out. I understand the benefits of this, but that doesn't make it any less creepy.
One step closer to Big Brother. :p

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:58 pm
No, Smasher, Google IS Big Brother. Google is the secret government that rules the world. And their president's name is...Lincoln.

Hmm, bet you didn't see that one coming. BP

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Zora Guard

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 am
Google uses your search history to keep records. It's possible to stop this.

1) Sign into you're Google account
2) Click the link thing at the top right which shows your email address.
3) Click Account
4) Clcik 'Go to Web History'
5) Clear History
6) Click the pause thing (pauses your search so that whatever you search isn't in your history)

You can change it anytime.

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 am
Following what Ninten said, you can also pause your search history and video history on Youtube.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/h ... acy-policy

However, to quote the link above:

"Note that disabling Viewing and Search History in your YouTube account will not prevent Google from gathering and storing this information and using it for internal purposes. It also does not change the fact that any information gathered and stored by Google could be sought by law enforcement."

Although I'm curious of what exactly you would have to Google in order for you to go to prison. I read one story from here:

http://www.webiot.com/strange-but-true/

where this occurred:

"Q: Does Google collect and record people’s search terms whether they’re logged in or not?
Yes. Google confirmed this week that it keeps and collates these results, which means the company can be forced to divulge them under court order. Whether Google does anything else with them is another issue.

Given the Department of Justice’s recent subpoena to Google, it’s likely the police or even lawyers in civil cases–divorce attorneys, employers in severance disputes–eventually will demand that Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, AOL, and other search engines cough up users’ search histories.

Q: Has this happened before?
Almost. A North Carolina man was found guilty of murder in November in part because he Googled the words “neck,” “snap,” “break” and “hold” before his wife was killed. But those search terms were found on Robert Petrick’s computer, not obtained from Google directly.

Also, attorneys have already begun introducing searches conducted on Google, Yahoo and AltaVista as evidence. "

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:23 pm
So Google is basically a police squad now? I don't even use Google that much. I usually use Yahoo or Bing. Besides, if criminals did something like this, they could just use a public computor, or somewhere with free WiFi.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:46 pm
Free wifi doesn't solve your search history problem. Look up MAC addresses sometime. It's basically your computer's identifier. As for public computers, there's either a camera, or a trigger for keywords used in search terms that monitor you. Either way, somebody knows where you're at all the time.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Zora Guard

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am
But if they were filty rich or something, couldn't they just create their own wireless network without an ISP? Or buying multiple computers and using them at a free Wi-Fi area. I think this new policy is just a way to invade people's privacy.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 pm
Just because you have a wireless network, it doesn't mean you can access the internet. Sure, you can make your own intranet, but if you wanna go big, it's gonna take a hell of a lot of storage to do so.

It's not like they're gonna sort through every email you've ever gotten. It's just to make their experience as easy as your experience. With it, they can watch trends in information allowing them to make their products better for the "end-user" - You! To them, it's like taking multiple small buckets and merging them into one giant bucket. No content will change, and the "tracking" has been around for a while. I really don't see why consolidating information makes it anymore an invasion of privacy than it was before.

Zora Guard

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:13 pm
Well maybe. I don't think that they would even have the right to go through every single email sent. But if it's like keywords through searches, sure. But eventually, the government is going to demand for search engine companies like Google to spill their users' search history.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: To those of you who use Google (Privacy Policy Changes) • Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:43 am
Well, they already do. Owners of websites are usually supposed to comply with authorities about their users data. Facebook even does this on a daily basis. Even keywords in your emails can trigger googles alarm system so they can inform authorities about malicious behavior.

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next