View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 SPAM 
Zora Guard

Post SPAM • Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:23 am
I know I've only been a member here for a short amount of time, however in my experience on other forums I know that spam is tolerated in extremely acute amounts. However, when I browse on this forum I am constantly running across posts that give nothing to the conversation at hand. I have read threads that do not initiate conversation.

I have read the rules; which are just the same on other forums I am a part of, however nothing has been done that I can see since I've noticed that even the Staff are guilty.

I don't mean to come off as rude and pointing fingers is not my intention. I just would like to give some constructive criticism to those in charge.

I actively enjoy reading topics on forums and the such but I become impatient when the only replies are one and two-liners. A little depth in a post doesn't hurt anybody. I would like to know someone's full opinion, not just a morsel.

For example, in the "Where in the World is YOU?" thread, (I will ignore the rage the grammar-Nazi that dwells inside me has for this title.), most have just told us where you are. I admit that the title of the thread pretty much limits the content, but why not go ahead and tell us where you're originally from, all the places you have lived, where you liked living the most, and maybe where you would like to live in the future.

Another example, in the Birthday Topic. Most of you have listed just your date of birth. Give me some depth! What is your sign? How old are you? Which birthday was your favorite? Do you even like your birthday? I know some people that don't. Is your birthday overshadowed by an upcoming holiday? Are you the blessed in which your birthday falls in the summer months and you have no worries of having to go to school on that oh so important day?

I am not meaning to degrade, offend, or belittle any of you. I was drawn to this site for a reason and SPAM (stupid pointless annoying messages) is the main assailant that repulses people that can help a community grow and flourish.

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:42 am
Not to be offending Crow (means you are doing it and know it...):D

Sometimes, people don't wish to give a lot of info on themselves and if everyone was at thoughtful as you, yes, sure there would be less spam...but, for one, I find this place somewhat relaxing. Sometimes long messages tire me out because I'm at school all day and need a break from reading the things they like to put in front of us. Quite boring, and by the time I get here, my brain can't think so will.

However, I've got to agree, we do have a lot of spam, and yes I've listed some because of my own selfishness. Thinking, if I don't want to read a lot, no one else does. So sue me! But, goodness, this site is thought as laid-back, and perhaps we need a new mod that would inforce it. Keep the little posters under an iron-fist, though I'd rather keep it the way it is, we could use maybe a little more reimforcement of the rules. Accept on the RRBs...

-btw, I don't agree with the signs, in fact, I don't believe in them. (should we moved this to pming?)

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:25 am
I know what you're talking about, and more speciffically the randomly rambling board is somewhat full of spam and off topicness, some threads outside of that forum as well, including the anniversaries thread and etc...

Generally I give the board 3-4 posts to get it back on topic or I'll intervene. I'm not INCREDIBLY strict on spam, just don't go into a thread and get all off topic is what we ask. :D Hope this clears up some things for ya.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Administrator

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:02 am
Indeed there is spam on this forum Crow, after reviewing some things I find that I can be named as a spam contributer sometimes. There are vague posts because of vague topics as you have already stated that that includes Where in the World is YOU? topic. The thing is that out of the forums I am a part in this is the one with the least amount of spam, there is a certain other one that most posts are 'lol'

There are some things that get posted that serverely get posters off track, I sometimes do it. But we try as hard as we can to get back on topic, which I try to do a lot of the time. To spam is to defy the quality of forums I agree, but we have yet to have another big epidemic of spam hit the Forbidden Underwoods

People here have to remember that quality is better than quantity, I try to revolve around this point of view but there are times that I fail to follow it.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:14 am
Agreed, ZE, but to make things fair, this is just like a topic to point out people flaws and the forums flaws. Which of course there are some. But, that doesn't make it good to do so and doing it in this fashion might not have been the best way to do it, Crow.

Maybe, if you had PMed DC on it that would have been better. It's not always the best way to go with people...but, here I am ranting, let this rest here.

Spammy yes we are...and such we know we must fix and have less spam, so we might have a thousand members in our greed.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Zora Guard

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:52 am
Quote:
I find this place somewhat relaxing. Sometimes long messages tire me out because I'm at school all day and need a break from reading the things they like to put in front of us. Quite boring, and by the time I get here, my brain can't think so will.

I completely understand. I usually have a long day and I do enjoy these relaxed forums. I think that the ability to state one's opinion can lie in within a few sentences. And believe, a large body of text even sends me to the next post without being read. Although, if that large body of text were separated into sections or paragraphs to be easily navigated, that would probably make a difference, don't you think? All I ask is for a thought out post. And honestly, if someone can't think beforehand, they probably shouldn't post to begin with.

Quote:
Indeed there is spam on this forum Crow, after reviewing some things I find that I can be named as a spam contributer sometimes.

I completely understand. I'm not trying to outlaw spam, but when the rules imply along the lines of a zero tolerance then something is at fault if it is still regularly occurring. People just sometimes need to spam. I understand that, which is why most forums have a distinct section dedicated just for that purpose.

Quote:
quality is better than quantity

Words to live by.

Quote:
this is just like a topic to point out people flaws and the forums flaws.

No, if that was my intention I could of found a much more crude method of doing so.

Quote:
But, that doesn't make it good to do so and doing it in this fashion might not have been the best way to do it, Crow.

As I see it, this was the best place to raise the topic. It is a forumwide problem and maybe this thread will make people contemplate their posts before they make them.

Quote:
Maybe, if you had PMed DC on it that would have been better.

If DC has a problem with this, I will take it up with him. You let him deal with that.

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 am
Man, crow, to you take lessons from the I:SB-users over at ZU?

Crow wrote:
If DC has a problem with this, I will take it up with him. You let him deal with that.

What I meant is maybe you should've told him...but, yes, this forum has problems and we'll try to fix them and rules need more reimforcement, so yeah, we'll watch ourselves. Because, if people can't be responsible and think, for the sake of others, they shouldn't be posting or keep it to a medium.

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:47 pm
I see the point you're making Crow, but I disagree on some things. I mean, not every post on a forum needs to be a thought-provoking mini-essay. A forum is a community thing and a place where people should be able to lay back and relax. Don't get me wrong; I consider myself an intellectual person, and I like to read things which are thought-provoking. But if, for example, somebody has posted something funny in a humour post there's nothing wrong with just a simple compliment ad a reply. And anyway, now the seriously serious section is here there's a place specifically for lengthy thought-provoking topics and in depth discussion.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:11 pm
Crow, you make several valid points. However, want to explain why I run the forum the way it is.

A long time ago, when I had loads of time on my hands, I was a member of several different Zelda forums. I posted, interacted, etc. But eventually I came to despise these forums, you know why? Because in their effort to stimulate thought provoking conversation, all the members became the most obnoxious people I have ever met. Some of the worse situations occurred with newer members to the Zelda Community. These members were torn apart or banned because their grammar wasn't perfect, or they were simply naive on a few topics.

It is this kind of forum I don't want the Underwoods to turn into. You may say I’m overreacting, but I’m not. In the eight year I’ve been apart of the community, I’ve seen forums start out great, but as time passes the members turn into the ones I mentioned in the last paragraph.

As such, I run this forum with more slack than other webmasters would dare. Exploding Deku Nut is a Zelda humor site. I created the Underwoods as a place to relax, a place where members could just interact without consistently worrying about the rules.

The reason you see the forum rules so strongly worded, was due to a spam problem we had years ago by a certain member. In that case, we had thousands of posts that were simply spam. Perhaps the forum rules are worded a bit too strongly in that section, and will require me to revise it. But the rules are there as a guideline to the type of behavior expected on the forum. The rules are not a legally binding contract, and as such I don’t require strict adherence to the rules. I’ve seen members take the rules so seriously that they actually complained to the administrator about the hidden “Moderator Board”; claiming that the phrase “All members are given equal access to all boards” means they should have access to everything the moderators do.

I don’t mean to sidestep your concerns like this, but I want it to be clear why I have the boards the way they do. While the boards are meant to have an air of lightheartedness, I also understand people to want to have thoughtful conversations from time to time. For that matter I created the Seriously Serious Board where the rules will be upheld most vigorously.

Most the most part Crow, I try to correct conversations if it does not relate to the topic at hand. However I ask all members reading this topic to try and stay on topic and maybe put a little more into your posts then the simple one liners.

I will spend time rewriting the rules to better reflect the time of forum I want the Underwoods to become. I have no desire to see the boards wrapped up in countless threads of spam, but I also have no desire to see it become the type of board where everyone becomes so uptight about the rules.

This is Exploding Deku Nut. We aren’t your typical Zelda site, so don’t expect a typical Zelda forum.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]