View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Posting in SSP Board 
Administrator

Post Posting in SSP Board • Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm
Now, I haven't seen anything in the rules or around here but lately members are joining just to promote sites and then they disappear. I've seen other sites who have a post mark that a member has to reach before they can promote a site.

I think it to be a better thing to have this happen so that we can become a bit better of a community with these members having to stay and contribute.

Is this something that you've decided not to do, or never really considered before?

ZE

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:09 pm
Once upon a time yonder, I too partook in these most devilish of mannerisms. :P

I don't mind people just signing up to promote their site, mainly because that's exactly what I used to do when EDN was a young site. It certainly doesn't hurt anyone, and it gives members here a chance to see upcoming sites.

Besides, forcing people to post, simply to gain the ability promote their sites, would encourage spam, not hinder it.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:17 pm
I can see your point with this, I had the mindset that joining just for promoting was a bad thing from my experiences on other forums. Upcoming sites are nice to look at and learn about, now if the unmentioned members would update their spot here and wherever else they told about than that would be different because that would show that such places are deserving of rememberance.

By the time I promoted my site...well what there is of it, I had a lot of posts, same as other forums.

Spam=Bad I wouldn't want something to make more of it.

So that would mean that those sites that you promoted on would account to the popularity of here, I see why you wish not to do that to other members trying to get themselves known. and why do I keep writing great big responses?

ZE

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]