View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rank Changes 
Administrator

Post Rank Changes • Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 pm
Question, I'm planning to reorder the ranks system as well as upgrade the current images to co-inside with the launch of Layout 10.0.

So I would like suggestions for new ranks that for both sides of the board. The only one I'm currently thinking of changing are "High Sages" (The mods and not a canonical name) to Oracles (Canonial), unless Oracles are weaker than sages in which case the point is moot. :P

Anyway give me your suggestions. They must come from a Zelda game.

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:34 pm
I'm not sure which is powerful. I'm not even sure of the exact definition of an oracle. I usually view an oracle as a deity's/deities' physical representative. In the case of the Zelda series, I'm not sure.

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:35 pm
I like the idea of Oracles, and I do think they are stronger than High Sages seeing as who they are based off of...the godesses and all.

hmmm. The Hylian Army ranks are pretty much suitable as they are now...I think

Ganon's forces: Squire remains, works well
Moblin
Goriya
Armos Knight
Stalfos
Darknut
Iron Knuckle
Wizzrobe
Just a few changes there...it could be changed to bosses...

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:36 pm
Hmm, I'll have to do some research. In terms of the games, you really can't tell since Sages and Oracles never appear together. Maybe I'll reserve them as a special rank. :S

*EDIT* Also, I don't think I'll add bosses. Should more than one person reach that high of a rank, it would be...strange. :P

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:42 pm
Both are individuals who are have magical 'sight' in the past people believed that Oracles had magical powers and could adjust things that no other could.

Since Sages are ficitonal and have powers nonetheless and have great wisdom...well they are practically the same, but in comparison to the games, well like you said we can't really do that.

Oracle=Sage pretty much, except one has existed and the other not

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:43 pm
We need an Octorok rank in Ganon's forces. :)

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:48 pm
I was thinking the same thing, but they are pretty...well not that evil, they could be the replacement of the Dark Squire though!

And yes that would be strange with the bosses, there aren't many choices in ranks for the Hylian Army, there could be a king somewhere in there...after Wise man and before Sage?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:41 am
Oracles in Zelda games are female, so there could be High Sage for male mods and Oracle for female mods. I always thought that Hylian Army ranks seem a bit male-orientated... Like Swordsman and Wise Man. Maybe there should be female versions of these ranks (swordswoman, wise woman) or something.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:52 am
For what we have experienced in the past with Zelda games, it seems that Oracles are more of a female dominated group, but historically (which of course doesn't count here) they were male, since female citizens didn't have many rights, well no rights. (This would be way back to Athens and Sparta)

You've pointed out something that has been overlooked the male dominence of titles in the Hylian army, some sound good, ex. Swordswoman, flows well, but Wise Woman...not so much.

I'd leave the Hylian Army ranks with their maleness, we haven't heard any complaints from our female members about it, so it can't be such a big deal...well possibly

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:56 am
I've tried to make the ranks as gender neutral as I could. The reason we have a swordsman up there is because Link is referred to as one in the Wind Waker. Later on he becomes a Knight and then a Master.

I may change that to a Castle guard or something, seeing as Swordsman only referred to Link, where as Knight and Master refer to groups in general.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am
I've got an official TP guidebook. I'll list all the enemies when I have it in my posession just to get you guys some ideas.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am
But there were no octoroks in that game. :(

Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:35 pm
This is a bit off topic, but weren't those lava spitting things in the Goron Mines some variation of an octorock, since they have been in every game to date, why not TP?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:10 am
After looking at it carefully, I believe Oracles are higher than sages.

In the games, we've seen 11 sages if I'm correct. Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Impa, Nabooru, Rauru, Zelda, Fado, Laruto, Medli, and Makar.

Out of all of those sages, what powers did they have? Each represents their respective region, working together they seem to be able to accomplish things such as creating the bridge to Ganon's Castle, Holding Ganon down, restoring and maintaining the Master Sword (which if you remember takes two sages) and perfoming poorly thought out executions. (TP)

Oracles on the other hand seem to have more powers individually than sages. The two we mainly see, Din and Nayru are capable of controlling the Seasons and Time respectively.

So, I probably will place Oracles higher than Sages when I make the changes. I will have to see wiether or not I replace High Sages with them.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:40 am
What about Bombskits or Korgaroks? Eh?

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next