View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum to the FUTURE 
Administrator

Post Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 am
:onfire:

Welp, it's that time again. It's been a year and a half since the last major improvements to the forum. *cough*phpBB3*caff caff* While my primary goal is to get all my staff members working again, the next major project after that will be installing some new forum features and hacks.

So this is the thread to make your desires known. I'll see what I want to add, what others want to be added, and overall what I think will be best for the forum as a whole.

Changes that will NOT happen:

- Moving the shoutbox to the top of the forum
Sorry guys, but the shoutbox stays where it is. I've seen too many forums where people sign up and solely use the shoutbox the entire duration of their stay, simply because it's the first thing they and everyone else see upon logging on. I also prefer the shoutbox being psuedo-hidden to newbies, allowing members a bit of time to get used to the atmosphere here before posting in REAL TIME. So no movement. Period.

- Multiple Ranks (Forces of Ganon)
Tried installing this. Almost destroyed the whole forum in the process. Not happening.

Suggested Changes

- Blags
ZE really wants everyone to have a blog for some reason. :P I've been waiting for a suitable hack for a while now.

- New Forum Skin
Honestly, I dunno why everyone hates on the skin, but this is also a possibility. Keep in mind that it takes me a while to do graphic work that I'm satisfied with, so don't come crying to me if it takes me a year to do this. :P

- Additional Emoticons
Per request of Rupeelord

Greenlighted Changes

- IE compatibility
I don't know why IE is such a tosser when it comes to reading the forum CSS file. This will be fixed as best as I can.

Completed Changes

- Statistics Mod
This can be seen here: stats.php

- Link to main site
Per request of Rupeelord

- Additional BBCode
Per request of Banished Link

- You Tube Embedding
Per request of Rupeelord

- Cash Mod
Per request of Zender

This list will be updated as time goes on. The goal is to start forum improvements when I return from vacation, so everyone has a while to suggest things.

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:10 am
1. More Smilies? :o

2. embedding youtube videos in posts?

3. A link to the actual site :ugeek:

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:17 am
I suggest forum updates in the shoutbox (like *such and such posted in the such and such topic*) This will help with activity and /me for it too.
Apart from that I like The forum the way it is, I'd hardly stick around here if I hated it. :p

Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 am
Shoutbox related things are pretty hard to update because the guy who coded it stopped working on it years ago. Nevertheless it's still the best phpBB shoutbox available, which is probably why no one else has made one. :/

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:34 am
1. Link to the main page.
2. Link to the main page.
3. More BB code like strike through.
4. Blogs.
5. Add facepalm smilie like this one Image

"I used to be able to input a cheat code, now I've got to enter a credit card"
-John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

"If 'something that is utterly incomprehensible' starts getting popular, doubt your generation. Consider that something may be very wrong."
-Kaiki Deishuu

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:20 pm
Even BL thinks that Blags would be cool. I had them running on that old Free Forum back in the day and they're just interesting to have on a forum, being able to talk about whichever and whatever. I don't particularly think they should count for posts though and with the Blags comes some new rules for the Blags section. So yeah, I dunno, it might be more trouble than it is worth in the long run.

I know places like Legends Place at the Sacred Realm also has them and all and they seem to work well there (though their rules are slightly different than ours here, of course).

Everyone would just LOVE to hear about the everyday lives or ramblings of our beloved DC, wouldn't they :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:42 pm
I will say this only once:

We need a currency hack.

That is all.

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:03 pm
Yes, Zender needs to acquire more currency. That's his life's passion! ;P

Also, mebe not a total skin change, but just the banner (the thing with WW link) could use a revamp. The skin is still awesome, so don't touch it. ;P

On the blogs you could always post a separate?/extended? rules topic that people have to read before posting a blog (in the blog section). And at least for now just let each person post in their own topic as a blog. At least until you can find a hack/thing.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 pm
Tetromino wrote:
On the blogs you could always post a separate?/extended? rules topic that people have to read before posting a blog (in the blog section). And at least for now just let each person post in their own topic as a blog. At least until you can find a hack/thing.

Maybe make a separate forum for it, so as not to clutter another forum with miscellaneous blags.

~Samuel Clemens

Terminian Captain

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 am
I agree with Tetromino on the new banner. The new skin, not so much, I mean it's a little too dark to my liking but other than that it's acceptable. Although I don't care much for a link to the main page, it seems everyone desperately wants this and the blags thing sounds pretty cool too. The new smilies also sound good, using common things we use in the shoutbox would be nice, like facepalm as BL said. Though it's not the end of the world that we can't put the shoutbox on top, that would be my number one wanted thing, so whatever. The only suggestion I have is putting a picture of nuclear clams by the nuclear clams quote, to help iterate what a nuclear clam looks like :p

Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 am
Yeah when I suggest Blags I did mean that they could have a Member only accessible forum put somewhere in like... Interactivity or something like that.

It could be totally like some other hidden forums here.

I mean...

Yeah. :P

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:33 am
The "blags" sound like a good idea, and I think everyone agrees on that, even though I'm still a little confused on what they are.

I don't hate the forum skin, I just would like to see another option. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that wants one, I just think it'd be neat to have a forum skin that corresponds with the main site theme. That would make it easier to design one, that wouldn't take a year :P
But, any sort of change would be pretty cool.

And, yes! Add me to the list of people that want to add a currency thing to the forums. It gives motivation for people to post. And make it so you can take money away if the post is too short. Or you could even lengthen the character limit on posts. Whatever it may be, it'd be a perfect idea. I remember on an old Zelda site I used to go to, they had currency, and you could use the currency to change your name, or to even make your username be colorful, or have some effect to it. Although, the name changing thing sounds like a really good idea to me.

Other than those things, I really have no suggestions.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 pm
Zeldaeinstein wrote:
Yeah when I suggest Blags I did mean that they could have a Member only accessible forum put somewhere in like... Interactivity or something like that.

It could be totally like some other hidden forums here.

I mean...

Yeah. :P

You mean like the Trivia Sanctum? 8D

"I used to be able to input a cheat code, now I've got to enter a credit card"
-John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

"If 'something that is utterly incomprehensible' starts getting popular, doubt your generation. Consider that something may be very wrong."
-Kaiki Deishuu

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 pm
Banished Link wrote:
You mean like the Trivia Sanctum? 8D

Sure, let's go with that.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Forum to the FUTURE • Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 pm
Just a thought, How would as currency system work?

Also, While I don't think the Underwoods needs a facelift a new banner would be refreshing if you could find the time for it.

Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next