View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! 

Is an EDN comic a good idea?
Poll ended at Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:02 am
It's one of the best ideas we've ever had! I'M IN! 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
It's a great idea! Count me in! 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
It's okay, i'll support it. 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
It's not that good, it'll probably suck and be too much work 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
It's a terrible idea, go kill yourself and never make a thread again 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! 
Terminian Captain

Post The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:02 am
So, today in the shoutbox a brilliant idea blossomed by me, masterbx, and zet. We want to make a comic book(and eventually, maybe even have it as a narrated comic video on youtube) based on EDN and all its characters. We could have every main member in it, with writers, illustrators, designers, arrangers, etc, and it could all come together in one of the greatest things we've ever created :D. So, for now we'd like to see how popular this idea will be amongst you guys, so please vote in the poll and tell us what you think and if you'd be willing to help make it. If this thread is a success, then we can arrange sign ups to be included as a character and then we can assign rolls for people making the comic, or maybe even split up different strips to different groups of people so everyone gets a chance to make them. So yes, hopefully you guys like the idea because I know I do, then we can organize it all and go from there :P

Last edited by Doctorzzim on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:48 am
Well I for one think this is a brilliant idea and will serve to make our very close knit community more unique. Seriously when you see big forums different people tend to clump to certain subjects and nothing is really coherant with everyone there. But with a smaller forum like ours, we can create something that isn't exclusive but not a ridiculous task at the same time and really make The Underwoods all the more personal to everyone here.

Alright so the way I see this happening is with everyone who is willing to put something towards it helping decide on the general plot and then after that roles will be devided amongst the different skills each of us possess, for example BeeX and I can work on the art.
I don't suggest actually starting this untill we have all this decided as it will all get incredibly rocky and I see it being cancelled if that happens.

Alright so after that note I'd like to make some suggestions as to what we could do with this. I don't think a comic retelling of events that happen here will be especially successful as it is all stuff that we've already done and ingeneral will just boil down to a whole lot of in jokes and something that is of no particular lasting value.
Instead I would like to suggest two courses we could take, the first is to create a small sketch based comic featuring us with original ideas but definite influence by the subjects (us) personalities. the second idea I had was of creating a fantasy style story in which the characters are based off us but may not completely refect the peoples personalities but still retain the basic identity.
The short comics idea will probably feature a nature like Acidentally Linked and will leave each comic somwhat independant of each others and the story based idea will be long running and completely connected with each part of course.
What I would like to know is which style you guys would like to see most?

Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:01 am
I think it's a decent idea. I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

Also, I voted for all five options.

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:56 pm
DL just told you to edit the poll. I'll agree with him, and say, "EDIT THE POLL". Especially because you don't want people voting for all five options, I'd think.

Anyways, I'm saying it's an alright idea, but it will be a lot of work and the only question really is are you willing to put that kind of time into it? It's not like running a comic (coming up with a good story, proper characterization, artwork (conceptual and the things seen in script) is an easy job...most of the time. :P

So, yeah, all that aside, I could help you guys a little bit, if you want, but not too much. You know, that crazy concept called "university" takes up a gigaton of time. xD

And lookit that, you did so while I was posting. :p

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:01 pm
Oh, now I understand what that means xD and yeah Tetromino I changed it already.

And Zet I agree with everything you said. It'll be hard to chose which style and what type of story, the first or second option you mentioned, because they are both good. Perhaps we have a lot more polls in the future if this idea is successful. And yeah, if we end up doing this, there is going to be a lot of prep before we do anything else.

And yeah Tetromino I know it's a lot of work, but imagine if we had everyone's part of work, it could make things a lot easier. The more people we have working on it the smoother this will go. But anyway, thanks for the input :P

Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:18 pm
I suggest we all eventually post self drawn concepts of ourselves at first, just to give others a feel for how you wanna look :P

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:13 pm
masterbx wrote:
I suggest we all eventually post self drawn concepts of ourselves at first, just to give others a feel for how you wanna look :P

I've already been working on one for me.

Oh and personally I'd rather go with the story idea, it may make us want to keep going so it doesn't die.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm
Yeah, I can see the fantasy style being really interesting. Imagine all of us being heroes and villains or something. I guess I should start trying to draw my own concept too :think:

Administrator

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:20 pm
A view thoughts:

I think this is a pretty cool idea, but if you have several people working on it, then you probably don't want to make a story. Making a story is hard enough with just one person writing, with several it becomes crazy hard.

The easiest way to go about this is to just write strips playing on the personalities. That way everyone can write comics based on their own style, but still retain the same personalities. Having people just post one off comics is better because then people can post as they wish.

(And I've just been ninja'd)

Profile WWW
Hylian Knight

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 pm
Hmm...I suggest we also all try to come up with our own comics...perhaps an intro to how we found the Underwoods. That might be able to showcase each other's talent and style and stuff...

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
A view thoughts:

I think this is a pretty cool idea, but if you have several people working on it, then you probably don't want to make a story. Making a story is hard enough with just one person writing, with several it becomes crazy hard.

The easiest way to go about this is to just write strips playing on the personalities. That way everyone can write comics based on their own style, but still retain the same personalities. Having people just post one off comics is better because then people can post as they wish.

(And I've just been ninja'd)

I see what you mean there but I think a story is something we'd be capable, I mean look at Forever Forgotten, we're doing pretty good there. Also I think that if we can decide exctly the sort of plot we want before wwe start we won't be tied up later on.
Other than that maybe a sort of cross of the two where we take the same universe but with most of the plot taken up by sketches. Also an idea may be to aguely base events off big events here.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:33 pm
Here's some concept art I just drew of my character, "Invader Zzim". It's based off The Almighty Tallest in Invader Zim. The one on the right seems like the one I'm gonna go with, since the other two are basically just direct copies of Zim and The Tallest, where the one on the right is the tallest with a little more body and with actual legs. Perhaps in the future i'll give him legs more like Zim's though, since they do look kinda weird. Oh, and just keep in mind, I'm not an artist, i'm just making the concepts. If we do this i'll definitely be having one of the better artists redo my concept in a better way :P

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:10 pm
Okay, quite frankly, I can't draw/use ANY graphics programs to save my life. I'm useless at it. I like the idea, but I wouldn't be able to contribute, except for maybe script-writing. And even then, I'll bet there are a bunch of other people on the forums who're a lot more qualified for it.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:17 pm
That's fine Joss, a lot of other people are in the same boat. All you need to be able to do is at least describe how your character would look if you want to be included in the comic and the workers will do the rest for you. We're just happy to get your support :P

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Official EDN Comic: Featuring...YOU! • Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:18 pm
Okay, I'll support it. I'm just saying I'd be pretty much useless.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next