View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The 2008 American Elections 
Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:11 pm
Itttttttt's Election Day!

So guys, predictions? Who here is voting? Thoughts? Etc.

I think Obama is going to win, but that's kind of old hat now. Everyone here in Edmonton at least thinks that anyways. :P

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm
I don't know what to think. The polls are saying such a variety of things. The only thing I can find the slightest bit of happiness in is that things looked just as gloomy for the '04 elections, but the polls certainly weren't right in that case.

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:21 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
I think Obama is going to win

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:49 pm
I...voted for McCain. And everyone at school is like "why did you vote for that guy?" Here's my reason, I think that believes are more important than social issues. How could I vote for Obama when my believes and his believes do not coincide? Why should I support a man who thinks its 'alright' killing babies as long as they're not his? The point is, voting for someone with the wrong moral values is wrong, because I don't think morals should be made less important than social issues. No matter what.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:32 pm
I had a discussion with one of the two Americans at my school (who, sadly, had her voter registration sent back to her a week ago) about politics and such. I stated that, since I don't care about political stances, if I were allowed to vote, I would vote based on character...and Obama just rubs me the wrong way. Not entirely sure why; he just scares me a little. Plus, I find Sarah Palin adorable. I think the American was somewhat pleased, what with her being Republican and all. :P

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:42 pm
YES! Another Sarah Palin supporter. *smirks evilly* Hehehe, there's like no one at my school (or family -_-) other then myself who likes Sarah...its rather sad. I sometimes feel like I'm in a den of democrates.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:25 pm
Yep, Sarah Palin is awesomest.... the end.

Though, I finally heard obama say something I agree with yesterday on ESPN...... college football should definitely have playoffs.

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm
Sarah Palin doesn't have her *Navi* together, and governing a wasteland state is probably the top of her abilities.
Moving on, I've felt since the beginning like Obama was the first sincere candidate in years, regardless of the fact that I don't agree with a lot of his stances. He just seems to be the better man, if you will.

Now, really, Americans are going to expect the economy to get back to a good status within a week of Inauguration Day, and that's just not going to happen, no matter who is elected. You can't undo eight years of screwing it up as fast as the American public demands, and the candidate who does win tonight is going to have a majority of America on their case because the majority of Americans (let's face it) don't know jack about economics.
The winner will probably have one of the hardest presidential terms since the Great Depression, and people are voting based on how pretty Sarah Palin is in her new clothing bought from 150k of our wasted tax dollars, and based on the age/race of the candidate, when what is truly needed is a straight answer about what they are going to do to set recovery in motion.

Yes, I support Obama more than McCain, but frankly, I don't believe that either of them have what it takes to lead this country.

~Samuel Clemens

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm
Interesting takes on the issue. Frankly, I feel McCain was kind of in a tough spot from the beginning; coming off one of the worst presidential terms in American history. However, from an outsiders point of view, it certainly felt that Obama carried himself in a more presidential manner than McCain. Certainly the way he can talk and the new ideas he brings, will do a lot in repairing the world's view of the States at the moment.

Addendum: Watching CNN, the amount of people voting is crazy! Tetromino, how long did it take you to vote?

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:41 pm
The line was...ten minutes. We went in the morning before school because I was NOT going to wait in a line AFTER school. :P

Oh, and yes, I know, Obama is a good speaker, Darth, but that doesn't matter too much to me. (I'm the only one's whose opinion matters in the elections that I know of here...:P) I think I stated my reasons good enough...though, if I could've picked-and-choosed my canidate, I would've made something that was a sort of cross between McCain and Obama. xD

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 pm
I could not vote for McCain because he wants to stay in the war. So far, things are looking up for Obama.

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 pm
Well it's projected that Obama has won the election, along with a Democratic Senate and House.

Welp, it was a great 2 years guys. I look forward to reading news now that doesn't have to do with an election. :wink:

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:27 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
Well it's projected that Obama has won the election, along with a Democratic Senate and House.

Welp, it was a great 2 years guys. I look forward to reading news now that doesn't have to do with an election. :wink:

Me too. I also look forward to reading a certain Zelda webcomic in the near future... I'm totally gonna *Navi* about that just as much as I did about not having a shoutbox.

Goron gets what goron wants.

Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 pm
Well, candy lands over boys, here's to four years of mouse trap.

Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:04 am
While that last statement makes damn near no sense...

Look people, I don't care who you voted for, who you support, who the best man for the job is, the facts are what they are: Obama got it, and probably deserves it if that many people voted for him. Regardless of who the president is, he needs support, especially in the beginning of a term. Not one of you knows the trials that the president faces on a daily basis, yet, since none of that affects you (you good little capitalists!), you blow it off, complain until you're blue in the face, even though they do the best they can for a disrespectful, ungrateful public. I wasn't a huge fan of McCain, and I disliked him more after he invited a band to his Minnesota rally (a band I was in, I might add) and didn't let them play until the end, but I clapped for his speeches, and did the little chants, because if he ended up as president, I would have to say I didn't give him the support he deserved.

Damn it, the election is over, and the new president needs our support, whether you like him or not. Deal with it.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next