View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Increased Violence in Canada 
Administrator

Post Increased Violence in Canada • Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:46 am
I don't usually post in the SSB, but what in the hell is this:

Man decapitates passenger aboard Greyhound bus

This is a young man the same age that I am, getting on a Greyhound bus that I usually take, from a city that go to University to, listening to music on his way home. I follow that routine to the letter 6 times a year. The only difference is the destination.

And he gets *Naving* stabbed on the bus by some psycho in a completely random attack?!

What in Sam hell is happening to our country? This kind of *Navi* happens in movies. MOVIES. Cutting of the head and parading it infront of police? That *Navi* is reserved for tv horror shows. What in the eff is our country coming to?

If it's not this, it's gang shootings that have been going on in Calgary. Seriously, gang shootings/war? This has never happened before. People getting mugged on the C-train station in the middle of the day? Random attacks of violence against seniors?

I don't really know where I'm going with this thread. But these things have been bothering me the last while and I guess this is the boiling point. I know Canada isn't some magical bubble where crime is non-existant, but good crap, when it happens it's really bad.

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:10 pm
dude that is frickin sick! I read the entire article and that happening on a typical greyhound bus. I ride them every summer to michigan from virginia. Never would i expect that! I just bought lunch and now lost my appetite. that is horrific. My prayers to the victim, his family, and all other 36 passengers and the driver. I knew random "carry-on" checks would create an issue. It would be so easy for a terrorist to make an attack on the greyhound buses, and for the trip up to michigan this summer, an Israeli was sitting in front of me and he looked pissed. Forgive me for judging but its natural thoughts now. And Canada is not nearly as violent as America, but still that is, wow. It's not just a few countries anymore, violence is becoming a global issue.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:24 pm
I read about that this morning, since usually the headline 'decapitation' draws attention to itself. I can't wait to see the guy who did it either get off for what he did due to apparent 'insanity' or whatever you wish to call it, or the other mumbo jumbo you hear about the justice system not giving out hard enough punishments for criminals, including homicide cases.

Violence is the new way of things, some may say it isn't the answer, but look around, you have governments either not doing enough or contributing to fighting/war/etc., and then examples like DC mentioned. Whoever coined that saying either didn't know what they were thinking or we're just heading faster than ever to true world anarchy, everybody loves widespread anarchy and violence, am I right?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:56 pm
yea, rite That's why we should vote for a political party, in all countries, that tries to establish a better society. We should listen to the third parties that have BEST ideas, much better than the Democrats or Republicans. Pardon me for my political ranting these days. But if there is anything of McCain's advertisements these days that I like, it's this: "Don't hope for a better government, vote for it." then the I'm John McCain and i approve this message blah blah blah.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:27 pm
How exactly would electing a government solve this problem? The only way a government can effectively curb this is installing a Police State where the MAN controls every aspect of everyone's lives. Sure you're safe, but at what cost? And I use safe in a relative term as well.

No, the problem lies in society, how people are being raised, and what people are being taught to value. We are constantly bombarded with advertisements showing us we should have things our way, and yet we are surprised when a person has the gall to scream at a service clerk in a store? Celebrities that are so bloody shallow and stupid, obviously bad role models but children still look up to them. The constant ‘social’ image on TV and movies, how you need to act, what you need to be cool, what you need to drink, when you need to have a GF/BF, absolute garbage.

It is astounding to me, reading on CNN or other news sites, that when a preacher or well known Bible scholar tries to highlight the worsening state of our society, people blow it off claiming it’s the talk of a quack who believes in a book written hundreds of years ago. A book, that next to it’s primary purpose, is suppose to teach people how to live with morals, how you should treat others, and how you should react when things happen to you. This is all dismissed with a wave and a sneer. Yet those same people expect to be treated fairly and with respect, and are often aghast when that doesn’t happen.

The point: people are living with fewer and fewer morals, and when that happens, we’re going to see more and more of this activity. Yes, right now there are lots of people in this world appalled at this act, and I’m certain this person is going to get as long as he possibly can in prison. But what scares me ZE is not that our world is moving towards a state of anarchy, but that our world is moving to a state where this type of behaviour is commonplace and disregarded by people. Is that a bridge too far? Perhaps, but I’ve already met one person today who is completely apathetic to this news, so maybe that bridge isn’t too far off after all.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 pm
It's a sad thing that this isn't a big deal to most people. I could tell my friend right now, and I guarantee he'd make a joke over it.I could tell my family, and they'd say something along the lines: "Thats too bad", showing no real feelings. This is something that has to be stopped in the early stages, or it'll keep growing like a tumor. Violence is a cancer upon society, and it is only taught and encouraged in: Video Games, TV, Books, movies, etc. Whenever someone tries to standup and call it out, everyone complains and whines, because no one really understands the toll this can take upon a person. Sure, theres a huge difference between real life, and video games, but how much of a difference is that to a schizophrenic? What I'm getting at here, are some people have a harder time interpreting what is real, and whats not.

I imagine this story is just one of many to come, and I finally realized that this is happening world-wide now. I used to think the United States was the place with this type of stuff, and I'm saddened by the drastic change. Hell, I'm riding a train for 12 hours, tomorrow night starting at 9 PM. BY MYSELF. I can't even begin to suggest what to do to stop this, as it appears this guy had nothing to lose. What's stopping other people who have nothing to lose? We need to start introducing morals into TV and Movies, and Video Games. Always portraying the evil as the strong, and the good as the weak, is taking a toll on us. And yes. I am blaming media for this.

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:15 am
And, yet, many people with morals just let the world go by and even those who claim to be Christians do nothing at all. (And, no I'm not talking about any of you, just people and/or Christians in general.) If you look around, step out of our Bathylonic society for a moment, you realize that it has already reached a point in many places where it is total, moraless anarchy. Look at Gulf Port, Mississippi for example or Manderson Square in Grand Rapids (that's ten blocks from where I live).
If you call those places "civilized" then you are high mistaken. I remember hearing from a male friend from Gulf Port that his best friend was shot, and at Manderson Square there are stabbings and shottings every day. Crap, someone was stabbed in my own neighborhood for going to my school.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit hotheaded on this subject, but I believe that there is reason to be. A guy gets stabbed for no reason on his bus ride home by a psycho who will be considered insane, a best friend shot, and gangwars everywhere. What morals are these? It sounds like the understandable self-centerness of the austitic has become that of the world. And, somehow, I'm not surprised at all by that.

But, the reaction of Christians or those with 'high' morals is even more terrifying. Hardly any of us do anything for the most part but give to organizations thinking we're doing our part or talking about it amongst ourselves. Though, of course some need to give and some need to talk about it, but not all need to. Who of us can say we tried to help those in circumstances like my friend in Gulf Port or the children down there? Who of us can say we tried to reach these people before they went and stabbed someone in the back or even after they did? How many of us can?

In conclusion, I must ask what in heck are we doing here, sitting around doing nothing but speaking about it. What a waste. We see the situation and yet some of us think we can do nothing. There's a song that speaks about that. But, none of that is true, the worst thing any of us can do is wait. The problem is now and we can help these people now, not later, because they might not have a tomorrow or a next week. Heck, we might not. So, the question to ask ourselves is what can we do? And once you find the answer; do it. Don't wait on the world to change. Instead, be the change you wish to see in your world.

-Tetra (sorry for the compassionate reply...but, this kind of thing is very close to my heart, now)

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:58 am
The problem is, we find ourselves in a world that doesn't care about law, only the consequences of it. We've come to a time where the only way to prohibit crime is to give such a fierce punishment, that, for the most part, only those with nothing to lose would do the worst crimes, and others might do petty robberies and such (the stuff most just shirk off) . The thing is though, the population that "has nothing to lose" seems to be growing at a rapid rate. So, Tetromino, what would you have us do? Now, I'm a Christian, not afraid to admit it, so I have something that I think I can do that would help (telling others about what I believe, and in that give them something to live for). But what would you expect of others? What can people do that magically gives a person something to live for? I certainly can't think of anything.

Oh, and Mr. G, don't blame media, that's kind of ungrounded. The person who does something like DC mentioned made their own decision. No video game made it for them.

LH :wink:

Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:15 am
Last Hylian wrote:
The problem is, we find ourselves in a world that doesn't care about law, only the consequences of it. We've come to a time where the only way to prohibit crime is to give such a fierce punishment, that, for the most part, only those with nothing to lose would do the worst crimes, and others might do petty robberies and such (the stuff most just shirk off) . The thing is though, the population that "has nothing to lose" seems to be growing at a rapid rate. So, Tetromino, what would you have us do? Now, I'm a Christian, not afraid to admit it, so I have something that I think I can do that would help (telling others about what I believe, and in that give them something to live for). But what would you expect of others? What can people do that magically gives a person something to live for? I certainly can't think of anything.

LH :wink:

In my opinion, your doing the right thing, though some might be, helping with summer school programs or day camps for kids. Showing them God's love at an early age can make a big difference in the long run. Even helping with prison ministries or going to help at a food pandry. Be a light in the darkness for a dark world. ;)

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:19 pm
Last Hylian wrote:
Oh, and Mr. G, don't blame media, that's kind of ungrounded. The person who does something like DC mentioned made their own decision. No video game made it for them.

Yes, they made their own decision, and no, blaming the media is not ungrounded. Hell, I remember a kid a few months back who was so obsessed with Grand Theft Auto that he went out and imitated the game and, when interrogated, stated it. He said he wanted to "live the game." The truth is, people get told something for so long that they begin to believe it themselves, and this tool is used by the media, for whom the ends always justify the means. The media is all kids know, it builds their world, imprisons them, teaches them how to eat, how to drink, how to breathe. But again, truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty you need only look into a mirror.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:47 am
There is only one solution to people who commit a crime like this, only one penalty that will properly punish the perpetrator and ensure that he never commits another crime ever again.

And that is the penalty of death.

There is really only one statistic you have to look at here : Noone who has ever been executed has ever reoffended. You cannot say that about those with life sentences, as people like this man inevitably escape, or kill guards, or kill others once they escape. HIS VERY EXISTENCE IS A VIOLATION OF EVERY CANADIAN'S RIGHT TO SECURITY OF PERSON.

Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am
By that same token, why not cut off the hand of the child who steals?

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 pm
Supreme Dirt wrote:
There is only one solution to people who commit a crime like this, only one penalty that will properly punish the perpetrator and ensure that he never commits another crime ever again.

And that is the penalty of death.

There is really only one statistic you have to look at here : Noone who has ever been executed has ever reoffended. You cannot say that about those with life sentences, as people like this man inevitably escape, or kill guards, or kill others once they escape. HIS VERY EXISTENCE IS A VIOLATION OF EVERY CANADIAN'S RIGHT TO SECURITY OF PERSON.

What you fail to understand that death is the easy way out. Sure it's a scary thing, but hell. Its over quickly. They don't learn their lesson. They don't regret. They get off easily. Sure keeping them in prison may cost tax dollars, but they think of what they've done. If he's kept locked up he'll mourn for his inability to go anywhere. And when you have all your freedom revoked, that my friends is Hell. I know for one I'd rather die than spend my entire life in a guarded facility.

Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:57 pm
Man, prisons have so many luxuries that aren't deserved. Your theory is a good one, but the cards, televisions, and all other forms of entertainment need to be removed first.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 am
Deku Lord wrote:
Man, prisons have so many luxuries that aren't deserved. Your theory is a good one, but the cards, televisions, and all other forms of entertainment need to be removed first.

Yes. I can find no valid argument for that, because you're completely right. Being in Prison is like being in a suite thats already paid for. However, not all prisons are like this. If this could be amended however, it would be fitting. Aside from that, it still doesn't make execution any better.

Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next