View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Canadian Federal Elections 2008 
Administrator

Post Canadian Federal Elections 2008 • Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:29 pm
So this just in, Harper (That's the current leader of Canada) decided that the Parliament was dysfunctional and called a general election yesterday.

The vote will be held on October 14th. I would just like to comment that I think it's hilarious how little we in Canada care about elections that we get it done in the span of a month. Calling, Campaigning, and Voting. :P

Seriously though, we have a good number of Canucks here, including myself who is everyone going to vote for.

*Edit by Darth Citrus* *facepalm* right. I think I'm the only Canadian here old enough to vote. -_- Your thoughts anyway.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:46 pm
Well I'm not all that much into politics really, even though I'll follow them somewhat when elections are called. I like the Conservative party, when Lord was Premier here in New Brunswick things didn't seem all that shifty and uneven (granted times certainly have changed in the small amount that has gone by). And solidifying the fact I don't follow politics, I'm just going to say that Harper has been doing a good job following after such a long time under the Liberals.

So if I could vote, I'd lay my support with Harper for this very...very...exciting election that's coming up.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa...whoa...slow down...

Canadians have elections? When on earth did this happen? I thought you guys were, you know, against democracy? Or should I say, "elective oligarchy"?

Administrator

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm
We are against democracy, since we're communist. But we still have elections so the Western World thinks we're democratic and *Navi*. There's only one party anyways.

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:54 pm
Heh heh...oh, you Canucks are so crazay. The Western World don't actually care what you do. That's why the US hasn't invaded you yet.

DISCLAIMER: Anything I say here, despite the board being posted in, has no serious intent. I don't really think the world doesn't care about Canada, nor am I claiming the US invades any country that doesn't already share its ideals.

Hylian Squire

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:43 am
Not the ONLY one old enough to vote...Seeing that it's about 4 days from the "Big Day", I feel it's about time to reflect upon the lovely final debate that was held roughly a week or so ago...You know, the one that began and ended in utter chaos? IMO, the party leaders could have SERIOUSLY used a few double doubles, and maybe a box of 40 or so timbits...I feel that, if said confectioneries had been present, less arguing and more debating would have been done.

Remember: A vote for the Liberal party is a vote for higher gas prices, a vote for the Torries is a vote for a Bush Clone, a vote for the NDP is pretty much a wasted vote, and a vote for the Green Party is a vote for the Liberals.

*Navi* The Bloc Quebequois.

@ Zeldaeinstein:
Lord was a good Premier. Graham (whom I have had the "pleasure" of meeting at UNB a few times) is quite the douche.

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:06 pm
You know, Dion started his campaign at the University of Alberta. I wanted to see him, but of course, the University booked the smallest lecture theatre for students and the like.

I'm not for the Liberals, but it would have been cool to see the leader of the opposition talk on the day an election was called. Oh well.

And yes, only 4 more days. I predict another Tory Minority.

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm
You guys in Canada even HAVE politics? Wow, I'm quite surprised seeing that we never hear anything about it down here. :P (Pfft.)

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 pm
Probably more or less because the USA are so caught up in what's happening with their country that they just dont have the time to look abroad at other news. But I digress, I have nothing wrong with the US. I simply get injured enough around here to give up my *FREE* healthcare.

Profile YIM
Zora Guard

Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:12 am
haha, free, why do i still pay all that money eh?

seriously serious though, i think that really, even if i could vote, they all suck, but i digress, harper is two away in my 6 steps(im good friends with his brothers daughter), plus he is against gun control, being a skeet shooter isnt as close as a hunter or military man, but i can dig it

my mom is a nurse, so she always raves about Layton, and the liberals never had any of the same ideas that i wanted in canada, so no, i wont vote for them, if i could

I hate politics, both on the national, and provincial level, i think it is done wrong overall, and you dont really know who you are voting for other than what the anti-conservative/NDP/liberal adds tell you, which are all biased anyway, and have actually NOTHING to do with ANYTHING really

Wii FC 4156 1068 5615 6910

Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 pm
Well it looks we Canadians are back under the rule...of a slightly larger Conservative Minority party, Harper challenged the idea we apparently didn't want him in and came out victorious, funny how that happens.

Liberals came out on top her in New Brunswick, but my riding is STILL (xD) represented by a Conservative, Mike Allen. I gotta admit, I was leaning toward NDP near the end of things, but that was merely just a dream ;P.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm
I'm not surprised by all this. It'll be interesting to see how the Liberals handle losing all those seats.

So, our election was called and wrapped up within a month. How is our American counterparts doing? :P

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
I'm not surprised by all this. It'll be interesting to see how the Liberals handle losing all those seats.

So, our election was called and wrapped up within a month. How is our American counterparts doing? :P

A total nightmare...or Obama-mire. :P We're still: arguing, forgetting about the state of other states/nations/countries of the world (did you know China's having its OWN dust-bowl!? and that there are actually STARVING people in the Sudan? we seem to have forgotten), and caring only about ourselves and our stupid as heck election and politics. *sighs*

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:09 pm
Well dang.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/ ... talks.html

See this is what makes Canadian politics interesting. Because even six weeks after an election is formed, with a minority government anything can happen.

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
Well dang.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/12/ ... talks.html

See this is what makes Canadian politics interesting. Because even six weeks after an election is formed, with a minority government anything can happen.

YES, BLOC QUEBECOIS YES.

Gilles Duceppe would be an awesome leader, if he weren't a seperatist.
Looks like we're going to lose those damnable conservatives, but we have to see if they somehow save themselves by January 25th. Predictions, anyone?

Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next