View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 News Organization Targeted. 
Goron Warrior

Post News Organization Targeted. • Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 pm
Well, if you watch news, you've probably noticed this. The white house has begun a sort of "witch hunt" of Fox news. Saying it's just a "perspective" not a news organization. Ok, I don't care what political party you are. CNN, ABC, MSNB, they're news organizations, but they do have a liberal perspective. Fox news, just like all other news organizations also has a perspective, it just has a conservative perspective. Yet, somehow this makes them less of a news organization. I dunno, this sort of seems like pushing the edge of freedom of the press, persecuting a news organization due to the conclusions they come to. Even the competition isn't biting on this one. The other news organizations actually defending Fox. Thoughts?

Zora Guard

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 am
This brings up a whole lot of questions.

When you use the term 'news', should we be referring to a completely objective reporting? Or does providing an opinion make the news more or less valuable?

While in my opinion, I prefer news given to me to be as objective and as thorough as possible, I do agree that a source of news that provides an opinion, specifically an opinion that goes against your own, makes the topic more thought provoking and may highlight an issue you would normally dismiss.

On the other hand, if you aren't thought-provoked, but rather, the news impresses an opinion on you, or in other words, you simply agree at face value whatever the news tells you they think is correct, then there is something wrong.

Fox news is pretty notorious for its reporting. I feel that they often try to indoctrinate the populace into believing whatever they think is correct by only presenting one side of a story. They lack sufficient objectivity. For instance, the recent release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was hailed with critcism of being a "terrorist simulator" because of the infamous No Russian level. IIRC, Fox News jumped on this opportunity to bash not only the game, but the entire gaming community and criticized the game for making such a horrific scenario for a player to play in.

No mention at all about the plot behind that level, and mostly just flaming video games for making people violent. As if American culture hasn't done that already.

The issue isn't with games alone. IIRC, Fox News was practically in love with Obama, though, not as much as some other networks (*cough*NBC*cough*), during the election campaign. That fed down to the internets, and the youth of America were shortly swoon with Obamaism. Yet, look at the situation now. Is Obama really the President that America has always wanted? Has he even fullfilled his campaign promises of his first year?

Can you say that the news isn't impressionable?

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:59 pm
Whoa. Whoa. Have you ever watched Fox news? In love with Obama? That makes me want to vomit. Fox was, if not unbiased, definitely leaning to toward the conservative ticket. They weren't in love with Obama. Rather, they were in love with Sarah Palin.

I was totally anti-obama in the campaign. That's why all I could bear to watch was Fox. Everything else made me sick.

Zora Guard

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:29 am
My bad LH, I got them reversed.

NBC was all gaga over Obama. Fox... who knows. Regardless, they're both biased.

My dad actually noted something interesting. Ever since Obama's rise to power, a lot of the programs, like those shows hosted by Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs just up and disappeared from NBC... and then there was a sudden influx of African-American hosts suddenly popping up on NBC's networks.

Meanwhile, Fox has fallen into the gutter.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:48 pm
TemjinZero wrote:
My bad LH, I got them reversed.

NBC was all gaga over Obama. Fox... who knows. Regardless, they're both biased.

My dad actually noted something interesting. Ever since Obama's rise to power, a lot of the programs, like those shows hosted by Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs just up and disappeared from NBC... and then there was a sudden influx of African-American hosts suddenly popping up on NBC's networks.

Meanwhile, Fox has fallen into the gutter.

Yeah, funny that, and I was thinking you got something confused with the news organization. Oh well, who cares about public opinion. Me and fox are bff's. :gum:

Oh, and I was never arguing that Fox wasn't biased. What I was saying was that ALL news organizations lean either toward the left or toward the right, so to say that just Fox isn't a news organization because it offers an opinion is invalid.

Zora Guard

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:21 pm
Well, my issue is the following:

1. NBC has it's opinion
2. Fox has it's opinion
3. Because NBC is gay for Obama and Fox isn't, NBC is dominating and Fox is well... left to rot.

Now, I realize that both networks have their own opinions, and so long as they stay relatively equal in viewership, there's not really an issue. However, it seems like NBC is getting too much support while Fox is getting all the garbage/trash talk dumped on it.

Rather than modern media working like it should and providing two different POVs on the same topic, it seems biased in the sense that one is being given preferential treatment over the other.

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Re: News orginization targeted. • Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:52 pm
Yeah, although, Fox isn't doing to terrible viewership wise. I mean, the O'riley show is like. . . the 2nd ranked reporting show on all news networks.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]