View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Would You Murder If You Had To? 

What would you do?
Kill a Random Person 93%  93%  [ 13 ]
Let One Thousand Random People Die 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Would You Murder If You Had To? 
Terminian Captain

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:55 pm
The trouble I always have with the question is the factor of whether I'd really do it or not...I mean of course I know it'd be the better choice to make a sacrifice for one, morally, everyone can agree on that. But would you have it in you, would you have the will to seriously assassinate a human being? What if he was pleading to live...but I suppose those 1000 people would be pleading as well. The question is not really who it is though, it is whether you'd have the willpower and care to murder one soul for a good cause. Perhaps it would be a better question if it were a smaller number...like 10 people...then maybe it would put a less significant burden on the person to murder and may make it an easier decision to simply go about their day as if they didn't have responsibility as a hero. Very impressive that we are chock full of hero's here, though. :P

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 am
Invaderzzim wrote:
Very impressive that we are chock full of hero's here, though. :P

Of course, I think most people (here or anywhere) would bail out of murdering someone even if it's for the right reasons, (but I kinda wonder if you could say either action is right). However, everyone still wants to pretend they would save the thousand people, but most of us would rather say we would (and could!) even if some of us have never held a gun, never used a knife to stab someone (on purpose), etc. Killing isn't an easy thing...

Would I do it if I could? Well, it depends I think on why the people would die. If the person was spreading say HIV to that 1000 or something along those lines (even a disease), I know I wouldn't even think about murdering the person. But, if that person was a terrorist/mass murderer/etc., I'd darn well hope I could, but I really don't know if I'd be able to even then. Heck, I might hire someone else (like everyone above) to do it for me, the truth is, I don't think I'd be able to murder someone myself...well, maybe.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:26 am
I think I'd feel more comfortable to condem one person to death to save the thousand rather than kill them myself although if the person was particularly evil say *cough* Mr. Green *cough* I may be able to.
so I won't tick the poll cause I just don't know.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:00 pm
I think part of the difficulty in this question and the real situation is not knowing, though. Never knowing who you would kill or what significant change you'd cause, whether it was right or not, how those people will die, are all questions that would put a huge weight on your shoulders and drive you mad. So yeah, it is hard to keep a definite answer without as much knowledge, let alone keep sanity if this event were to really happen to someone. Here's another thought, what if it was only two people you were saving, who were going to be shot in the head if you didn't assassinate an average every day person? Would you guys still have the incentive to honestly murder for the sake to stop a violent death of 2 more lives? To be honest...I really think I'd wuss out and not do it, and possibly go insane from guilt afterwards. But there are, people out there who do not care about the rest of the world and feel that they aren't affected by other people's harm. I guess that's just the real difference between good and evil...caring or not caring about the world around you. =T

Zora Guard

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 am
Kill and get arrested? No way. If the person was evil though, I would probably do it. If the 1000 people were evil, I'd probably go after them but only if the FBI or someone hired me too. What would happen if I didn't do anything? I'd probably go after the 1 but it just depends.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:33 am
Yeah I'd kill if I had to. Don't get me wrong I still have some form of appreciation for human life, but if I was in a situation that called for me to kill another human being, I could do it without losing any sleep. As long as it's self defense it's justified in my opinion.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:59 am
Ninten* wrote:
Kill and get arrested? No way. If the person was evil though, I would probably do it. If the 1000 people were evil, I'd probably go after them but only if the FBI or someone hired me too. What would happen if I didn't do anything? I'd probably go after the 1 but it just depends.

well, if u didn't do anything then the people would die. You have to murder 1 in order to save the rest, but do you have the willpower to kill someone?

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Would You Murder If You Had To? • Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:25 pm
Like most other people in this discussion, I would kill one person rather than let one thousand die. I believe that if I have to, I could. That does NOT mean that I'd like it at all, and I'd probably be wracked with guilt for a looong time afterwords. But I would do it, not because I'm a cold or evil person, but because I'd have to in order to save the one thousand others. I would probably try to find an alternative first and foremost though. I have a very high respect for life. (I save worms from the sidewalk after rainstorms, what does that tell you about my personality?!)

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2