View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) 
Sub-Administrator

Post Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 am
Recently, in world history (hist 120), a friend of mine brought up the idea of spanking (right before class, the teacher would have been pissed if the conversation continued while or when he was lecturing), so, I began wondering what do you guys think of corporal punishments? I'm sure we've all been spanked (at least), but do you think this harms you mentally or just physically? Is it an appropriate means of punishment for kids, and if so, is this something that should only be done at home, by schools (and other things like daycares), at all of these, or not at all?

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:54 am
"Spare the rod, spoil the child"

That's the quote that comes to mind. In any case, discipline in the form of spanking or smacking a child's hand with a stick is fine by me, provided it's done out of love. What I mean by that, is a parent should be using this form of discipline to teach a child what they not to do. They shouldn't be using it just because they're angry or abusive. I recall being disciplined in the manners I listed and I turned out fine. Kids just don't have the capacity to be reasoned with they're young, so you have to discipline them in other manners.

I'm typing this all out whilst being dead tired, so I hope this makes sense when I read it tomorrow. If it doesn't, I'm really really sorry Future Caleb.

-Past Caleb.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm
Well, I came from a family that highly regards Corporal punishment in the home, but strangely not at school (for reasons unknown at this time). So from that and looking through to the other parts of my family and friends who have told me their history with this form of consequence, I endorse it. The main sticking point is when Corporal Punishment moves from acceptable to child abuse, some may argue it's always child abuse, a point I can also see merit with.

I've heard many case studies that explain that spanking or hitting a child as a punishment for behaviour or lack thereof usually produces more violent children because of it, perhaps because they are exposed to violence as a solution, but hey, I'm not a psychologist. I will be the first to admit that I can be violent but in a way that doesn't harm anyone but myself, but I don't attribute it to getting a good smack for being a pain in the *Navi* as a child.

Corporal Punishment that doesn't go too far is very effective as far as I know, mostly for one plain reason: a time out is not nearly as effective, nor is removing luxuries, or as workable as the threat of a spanking. That is a bit morbid but it seems to put a child in their place much quicker, though it may be a fear tactic at its very core. My values place that like a usual justice system, Corporal Punishment should only be used on certain occassions and to be used sparingly, such as fit the punishment with the crime if you would. Hitting a child over anything isn't the way to go about things, that is a very clear value people should have (but some don't).

This also applies in schools, let the punishment fit the crime. Many kinds of punishment at school and home just won't work on a child, even into their teens when you think of it as school based. Surely in the high school level corporal punishment loses almost all effectiveness (unless the child is afflicted from earlier abuse) because we became more materialistic so 'groundings' from belongings or events will actually work more often than not.

That's longwinded and like DC before me, I apologize if it's poo, because I'm sleepy :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Terminian Captain

Post Re: Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 pm
I was never ever hit as a child. My mom is extremely against abusing as a punishment. I've always had a weak punishment system, yet I was always really behaved. I did what was right because I was taught the value of morals, and I used my knowledge to do what was right, rather than holding my desires because of what would go wrong otherwise. I do admit it has caused me to have quite a low will power to bring myself up to do things, so maybe a little more discipline would have been better. I don't think it's necessary that a person is hit ever and physically hurt for their actions. It may work, temporarily, but if you look at people who have had long term consistent abuse for their actions, they become quite dysfunctional people, and will in turn abuse other people.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:27 pm
When my parents grew up, they were raised in a society where they believed that spanking is good for a child's discipline. I HATE spanking. It sometimes can cause anger in the child and maybe some resentment.

It just depends if spanking is needed or not. If the child did something really bad, it might be OK to be spanked. If it's not as bad (ex: disobeying parents, yelling etc.) then spanking isn't OK. There are other methods for discipline. Spanking doesn't have to happen whenever the child does something wrong.

I personally am kind-of used to being spanked, but I'd rather be spanked instead of being grounded. I don't know why, I just feel like that for some reason.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Corporal Punishment (in the Home and/or in Schools) • Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:50 pm
You brought up something that I'm surprised no one else has... at least explicitly. I think there can be an argument made that spanking is not necessary if a child is raised with 'proper parenting techniques'. Like, we're talking SuperNanny perfection here folks. If you can teach a child at a young age what behaviour is wrong for public and private use (such as yelling at home, breaking things at home, being a little screaming death machine in the supermarket), then as a young child (5 - 10) we would virtually have nothing to be punished for.

But that's a perfect world, and there is no such thing as a perfect parent. If a child is exposed to anything they might desire, but not quite understand that desire, you will have one upset child who will cry or berate you as the parent for not giving them what they want. With this method I do not endorse complete dictatorship control over a child, I have witnessed such and the worst part is the child not even understanding the term 'free from the mother's bosom' (or father's...). Overprotective parents or overly strict parents are just as bad as careless parents.

All in all some form of punishment will be needed, no one is a perfect little angel, as anyone who has been around young children can attest to. Spankings technically shouldn't be required if you can make a child understand the quality of other punishments, such as time-outs or groundings... which at a young age are basically the same thing :P. When a child starts to become aware of themselves, which occurs shortly after puberty (at least my experience was as such and others will attest this was the rough age when they actually lived life day to day and were truly self aware), they then lose any response to spankings. That, as I mentioned in my previous post, is when groundings from events or removal of privileges become very affective.

I'm not saying that violence is the only way to get into the minds of smaller children, no, not at all, but at such a young age it is very difficult for a child to understand 'social norms' and parents can't very well break this barrier between young child and matured (I hope) adult. I will at least come out with this remark:

If I ever become a parent my fellow Woodsmen, I will not spank my child. I will outwit the outwittable and create my own 5 year old clone. That is the day...

Wait... serious time folks :P.

Spankings won't be in my repetoire of parenting, BUT I would not condemn someone who did it reasonably and with due cause. That is the most we can ask for for most people's behaviours in this day and age, isn't it?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]