View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 The Texan Curriculum Controversy 
Administrator

Post The Texan Curriculum Controversy • Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:58 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/educa ... texas.html

Short version: Texans are removing liberal concepts (Jefferson's separation of church and state, for example) from textbooks and substituting their own philosophies (St. Thomas Aquinas's 'interpretation' of Aristotle's philosophies to fit Christian teachings, for example). Given Texas's vast purchase of textbooks each year, this will affect several states in the nation as opposed to solely Texas. For those of you who want to get the information but skip most of the build-up, start near the middle.

I think it's garbage. “The Enlightenment was not the only philosophy on which these revolutions were based,” Ms. Dunbar said, in reference to Thomas Jefferson's influence. For some reason they find it necessary to remove anything they object to, as opposed to merely adding their 'Republican slant'.

I have no objection to most of the additions -- I'm not too crazy about the bit about Phyllis Schlafly, the Contract With America, the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority and the National Rifle Association (honestly, by including the NRA, there should also be something about such an influential Libertarian group as the ACLU, at least), given their lack of any real significance in American history -- but the subtractions are ridiculous. It's like they're trying to rewrite history. And then, of course, why isn't a higher court getting involved here, if Texas is effectively deciding the curriculum for a significant portion of the country? I thought we had Congress for that?

Discuss.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]