View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Philosophy Thread 
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:37 pm
True. Can I ask a question? Who defines the rules of the world? Other than Chuck Norris.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Zora Guard

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:02 pm
The rules of the world, or the rules of the universe?

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:03 pm
Um, both I guess.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Administrator

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:53 pm
Guys, there's a reason why this topic is in the Seriously Serious Board. Please keep it that way or I will have to lock this topic.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 am
The Great Architect defines the Universe. Also, if you were kept in a monochrome environement for your entire life and learned all there was to learn about color, would you truly know everything, or is there some empirical requirement to know something?

The Doctor: The writing... the graffiti: Old High Gallifreyan. The lost language of the Time Lords. There were days, there were many days, where these words could burn stars, raise up empires, and topple gods.
Amy: What does it say?
The Doctor: "Hello sweetie".

Administrator

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 am
The rules of both the world and the universe are one in the same. If you subtract the rules that humanity has given itself as a species you fall back upon Scientific law. Conservation of energy, gravity, time and light, pressure, etc. etc. Physical Laws define the Universe as we know it, which of course includes our planet. No one but ourselves define moral laws or ethics in our own interpretation of everyday life and the world around us.

If you want a 'who made the laws', well your answer is no one, no one had to. Unless you have a religious background, and well, we've got a topic involving that :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: The Philosophy Thread • Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:59 pm
Zeldaeinstein wrote:
The rules of both the world and the universe are one in the same. If you subtract the rules that humanity has given itself as a species you fall back upon Scientific law. Conservation of energy, gravity, time and light, pressure, etc. etc. Physical Laws define the Universe as we know it, which of course includes our planet. No one but ourselves define moral laws or ethics in our own interpretation of everyday life and the world around us.

If you want a 'who made the laws', well your answer is no one, no one had to. Unless you have a religious background, and well, we've got a topic involving that :p

Incorrect: Scientific Law is also a human concept.

The sciences do their best to explain the phenomena that surround us, but should never be accepted as any sort of 'binding law' or 'truth'. They are merely the best human attempts at explaining things in a manner that humans find acceptable. Science constantly rewrites itself as more is learned and discovered, however, the concept of being able to grasp all the knowledge that encompasses every phenomena is literally impossible.

All science begins with an assumption to rule out interferring phenomena, more and more assumptions are made afterwards to narrow down general concepts to specific ideas. In a sense, Religion is the opposite. Their only assumption is that an all-powerful omnipotent being exists that did everything. Everything then just ties back to being 'an act of God'.

Humans fear most what they do not understand, unless what is not understood is treated as insignificant.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2