Loading...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:12 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Heart vs. Brain 

Which is more important?
Brain 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Heart 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Both 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Neither 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

 Heart vs. Brain 
Author Message
Zora Guard
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Gender: None specified
Post Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:36 pm
I saw this topic on Zelda Dungeon, so I decided, to share it with you guys. Which organ is more important? The heart or the brain.

The brain is the one that tells the heart to pump blood, and the pulse so that if you're excersising, then you can get blood and other vital nutrients to your body when you need it.

The heart however, pumps blood to the brain. It keeps the brain alive so that the heart is alive.

But without the heart, the brain won't have blood or other nutrients. Without the brain, the heart won't be able to pump blood at all.

So with one's more important? Why? Discuss.

_________________
Image


Profile WWW
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:19 pm
Posts: 4427
Location: Kanada
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 pm
From a biological standpoint, the brain is developed first in the womb, and therefore takes priority over the heart (as from there other organs are developed, etc.) The brain is also responsible for your consciousness, something I imagine most people rather enjoy having. I'm not sure what else can be said, unless you sort of delve into more philosophical stuff :p. After you're officially 'born', the two work in the most required symbiosis imaginable (if that's the wrong word, forgive me, I'm a Physics major :P), although the heart can remain pumping with ulterior means, the brain still functioning off of a machine is a little more of a doozy, I think. :p

_________________
Image Image Image
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

-Carl Sagan


Profile WWW
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:06 pm
It's my considered opinion that, from a philosophical standpoint, the brain is still superior. What you feel should be important in your decisions, but I think that logic should probably be the deciding factor a majority of the time.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Zora Guard
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:50 pm
I thought that the heart was the first organ to develop, THEN the brain. The only reason I can see a brain to be better is that it lets you solve desisions, gives you a conscience, etc. But there's no vote cancellation allowed.

_________________
Image


Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 407
Location: Candyland!
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:29 pm
I believe the brain because that's what makes us human. If we didn't have the naturally superior brainpower unique to us, we'd be just another species on the planet. We wouldn't have the very things that make us human, like reasoning, curiousity, or planning. Just an opinion.

_________________
Image
‘You don't need to treat me like that. I'm not crazy, okay? I'm totally and completely sane. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go blow up this dead body.’ -Wash
“Your toast has been burned, and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff!”
"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.


Profile
Terminian Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 772
Location: Modesto, CA
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:14 pm
Obviously the heart, because you can still sustain human life without a completely functional brain for a while. What good is a brain without life?


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:32 pm
Invader Phil wrote:
Obviously the heart, because you can still sustain human life without a completely functional brain for a while. What good is a brain without life?

Ah, but Phil, what good is life without a brain that can do any more than keep your motor cortex running? You wouldn't have any thoughts, a personality, anything. You would quite literally be doing nothing more than living if your brain ceased to function, and contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe you don't go into a magical dream state until they cut life support; you would experience nothing.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Terminian Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 772
Location: Modesto, CA
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
Invader Phil wrote:
Obviously the heart, because you can still sustain human life without a completely functional brain for a while. What good is a brain without life?

Ah, but Phil, what good is life without a brain that can do any more than keep your motor cortex running? You wouldn't have any thoughts, a personality, anything. You would quite literally be doing nothing more than living if your brain ceased to function, and contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe you don't go into a magical dream state until they cut life support; you would experience nothing.


Obviously, but again it works vice versa. You can't have a brain without a heart and you can't have a heart without a brain. Either alternative you're going to have a *Navi* life. The least shitty you can get is at least having a live, thoughtless body for a while, and the only way to achieve that is to have a pumping heart. If you had a brain and no heart, you'd have no more than probably something to think with for a mere few seconds, assuming you had a heart before.

If we're talking about some magical fantasy here though, as if you could survive without a heart, then you'd have to have a mental illness not to choose the brain. But again. No point to have JUST a brain if this is reality. This isn't really a debate as much as it's a discussion over a theoretical impossibilities.


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:07 pm
Invader Phil wrote:
Obviously, but again it works vice versa. You can't have a brain without a heart and you can't have a heart without a brain. Either alternative you're going to have a *Navi* life. The least shitty you can get is at least having a live, thoughtless body for a while, and the only way to achieve that is to have a pumping heart. If you had a brain and no heart, you'd have no more than probably something to think with for a mere few seconds, assuming you had a heart before.

If we're talking about some magical fantasy here though, as if you could survive without a heart, then you'd have to have a mental illness not to choose the brain. But again. No point to have JUST a brain if this is reality. This isn't really a debate as much as it's a discussion over a theoretical impossibilities.


And if you got an artificial pump to replace your heart? You'd be hospitalized, but you'd be alive and well and able to experience life, much like the people who are on lung machines for the also-necessary lungs that aren't event a part of this discussion, for whatever reason. It's not a theoretical impossibility to live without a heart, it's a medical treatment.

What I don't understand is why you'd rather live without thoughts than live without the ability to move around without machine strapped to your chest. You either think until you die or vegetate until you die, given that the heart can, in fact, be replaced.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Terminian Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 772
Location: Modesto, CA
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:58 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
Invader Phil wrote:
Obviously, but again it works vice versa. You can't have a brain without a heart and you can't have a heart without a brain. Either alternative you're going to have a *Navi* life. The least shitty you can get is at least having a live, thoughtless body for a while, and the only way to achieve that is to have a pumping heart. If you had a brain and no heart, you'd have no more than probably something to think with for a mere few seconds, assuming you had a heart before.

If we're talking about some magical fantasy here though, as if you could survive without a heart, then you'd have to have a mental illness not to choose the brain. But again. No point to have JUST a brain if this is reality. This isn't really a debate as much as it's a discussion over a theoretical impossibilities.


And if you got an artificial pump to replace your heart? You'd be hospitalized, but you'd be alive and well and able to experience life, much like the people who are on lung machines for the also-necessary lungs that aren't event a part of this discussion, for whatever reason. It's not a theoretical impossibility to live without a heart, it's a medical treatment.

What I don't understand is why you'd rather live without thoughts than live without the ability to move around without machine strapped to your chest. You either think until you die or vegetate until you die, given that the heart can, in fact, be replaced.


LOL there's no point in asking brain vs heart if in reality you're asking "brain and heart" vs "heart" xD


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:00 pm
Invader Phil wrote:
LOL there's no point in asking brain vs heart if in reality you're asking "brain and heart" vs "heart" xD


Maturity would be appreciated. You know, in the Seriously Serious Board.

That aside, the point which you seem to have missed was that the heart can be replaced while the brain cannot.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Terminian Captain
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:17 am
Posts: 772
Location: Modesto, CA
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:35 am
You're right. Seriously serious board means pretending funny things aren't funny. Also could you please provide proof that there are humans on this planet right now functioning without a natural human heart?


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:46 am
Quote:
Artificial hearts are typically used in order to bridge the time to heart transplantation, or to permanently replace the heart in case transplantation is impossible.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart


As you can see, there are humans on this planet right now functioning without a natural human heart. Checkmate.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Hylian Swordsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 463
Location: Anor Londo
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Heart vs. Brain • Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 am
I, myself, believe that the two are equally important. Sure, the brain can make us be who we are, but what use is a brain without a heart? None whatsoever. Well, of course, if you want to fight with the AI technology in our hands nowadays. But they aren't alive. The heart regulates blood flow, and what not. A brain dead person can continue living, but wouldn't be able to do anything. So what if one organ develops before the other? It's just like saying I'd be better than everyone else if I was the first to post to a new topic. What truly matters is the use of an organ. No thinking without a brain, and no breathing without a heart. i'd try to be more medical and what not, but I'm on my cell phone. :P

_________________
Image
Image


Profile YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.