View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 An Open Letter to the Community 
Administrator

Post An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 pm
Dear friends,

I've been around EDN for a long while now, most of which time I've spent keeping watch over the forum and generally having a good time with all of you, and it has made such an impact upon me that I can't imagine life without my time here. The people, the atmosphere... the way of life on the Forbidden Underwoods has become a part of me -- part of my way of life. You're some of the best friends I've ever had, and strangely enough our relationships have managed to thrive through a tiny internet connection. Some of the greatest memories and most meaningful conversations I've ever had have been right here, with people on this forum, in some nearly unnoticed corner of the internet, and I daresay that the people here have grown on me to the point of constituting a kind of second family. I know I'm not alone in that. However, much to my chagrin, these are not the reasons I feel compelled to address you today. I was actually going to save this for a year and a half from now, but it's been gnawing at me for the past three months, and so I think it's time that I told my version of an old story of the Underwoods.

A long while back – three years, eight months, and a handful of days – it was a boring Thursday afternoon on the Underwoods. The only forums with new posts were the RRB and the General board. Things were generally dull, until the Underwoods spontaneously combusted. Those who were there will recall a single post in the Breaking News section containing terrible images of things I probably shouldn't list lest our young members become inclined to google. We watched as posts were wiped from the forum one board at a time. I was there. I remember.

I remember talking to Zeldaeinstein on Msn, discussing the events as they happened; by the time we got the bright idea to ban the perpetrator, we were banned ourselves. And so we watched it happen, helpless to do anything but watch the event unfold before our very eyes. People speaking in the shoutbox were banned one by one until the only account left online was LinkisDoomed – he was a moderator back then. ZE made a new account to patiently sit, online but not talking, to see what would happen. Granger was the name. It was eventually noticed and banned.

And then the post in Breaking News changed. The images were exchanged for a message of hate, apparently from LiD himself. The dialect matched. The act was something many wouldn't have put past him. It was within his power as a mod. Hell, it even had his little "post from xbox" gimick, because he'd been posting on the Underwoods via his Xbox lately.

But something wasn't right. It's that feeling where something just seems off, though you can't place your finger on exactly why. I know you're familiar with it. And somehow in the days after, we each came to the conclusion that it wasn't LiD on his account that evening; in the end, I think Lienator was the only one who thought it most probable that LiD did it. Of course, in the interest of security, LiD was stripped of his powers. It probably didn't help that, years later, he was making jokes about how he torched the Underwoods. But, after a week or so, the event went largely without mention with the exception of these occasional jokes. We continued our lives on the Underwoods. Gained new members. Popularized Hyrule Trivia. Started ACGV and the Life and Times of Hyrule. The anniversaries of the event passed without mention or closure, and some even started to suspect LiD again. Just in the backs of their respective minds.

But I'm here to dispell those suspicions. Too long after the fact, I must regretably inform you that I've been suppressing information about that day, and, having lately shifted my perception of what is morally acceptable and what is not, it has become a burden I no longer wish to bear. I've found that the closer I've become to all of you, the more painful it's become to continue deceiving you and to keep telling myself that we're better off with everybody assuming it was just some random hacker. I initially was going to wait far longer, but I feel I certainly shouldn't; for better or worse, I must reveal that on 27 March 2008, I changed the password to LiD's account; I used it to delete all of the content on the forums; I posted the horrific images that probably still haunt some of you today.

And I've lied through my teeth to all of you – now some of my most valued friends – about it. And I've forced LiD to serve the time that was mine to serve, and I didn't care... for a while. It was an act of pure malice, the kind that balls up inside you until the hate makes you explode with anger – the kind you experience as a child when 'it's not fair'. You remember what I'm talking about; you're as glad to be rid of it as I am, I imagine. That malice was directed solely at LinkisDoomed, although why I don't remember. Does it matter? I'm not sure it does. For reasons that are no longer clear to me, I plotted to have LiD thrown off of this site – one that I know we shared (and still share) a common love for. I wish I hadn't. I really do. However, nothing can change what's been done, and I feel that to continue this facade is only to do a further disservice to this community. There will be no more secrets. You deserve better.

I'd like to address certain members of the Underwoods:

LinkisDoomed/AkaAnonymous: So. The elephant in the room. We've become far better friends than I would have imagined possible some years ago, and I'm glad of that; now, though, I fear I've spoiled it. Having reread my cutting (if childish) remarks in your explanation thread, the only thing that strikes me is guilt. Nothing can excuse what I did to you, but it is my hope that we can continue our friendship. I'm deeply sorry, and I feel incapable of adequately expressing it.

Zeldaeinstein: I'm sorry for breaking your trust back then; if it makes any difference to you, I've not broken it since, excepting my cover up when I discussed the event in casual conversation a few months ago. It was only after talking to you that the conviction that I needed to confess was solidified in my mind. I want to thank you for that.

Tetromino: I remember, back when it happened, that you were hard on me for being hard on LiD. I'm glad you were, because that was the first point at which I questioned what I had just done, and that questioning would fester for years to come, being accellerated by certain other, unrelated events. I know I've ripped into you in the past (mostly or entirely for childish things), and I'd like to think that over time we've become friends in spite of that.

Darth Citrus: I do recall telling LiD and ZE that I knew more about it than I let on. I remember feeling betrayed when at least one of them told you. And I remember you coming after me, and I remember making up some bull*Navi* about an email from the 'hacker'; would I be wrong in assuming that you've always known? ...as it stands, things have been largely impersonal between you and I. I've occasionally tried to remedy that in the past, though you've always seemed somewhe resistant; I suspect it may no longer be a possibility now, but I think it's probably for the better that this gets out. I guess, despite my admittance, I still want to make a point that I don't think has occurred to you; I don't mean to be insulting, it's just how it's seemed for years, and my belief has been reaffirmed through certain recent actions of your own. The point I've always wanted to make that I suppose I now have a certain freedom to express as candidly as I would like is this: it was not your site I ruined that day some years ago... it was our community.

Mr. Goron/Nean: I hardly recall what role you played, although if memory serves it was trivial compared to mine. I expected you to be angry when, some weeks ago, I told you I wanted to put all of this out in the open, but you weren't; I really appreciated that. Now, I suppose, it's your turn.

I like to think I've changed since then, particularly in the last several months; however, if it is the desire of Darth or anyone else, I will step down from my position or will leave entirely. Thanks for reading.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 pm
This is going to be a little hard to say eloquently. Exploding Deku Nut is one of the two sites I regularly visit, so coming out and saying things that will result in disdain and punishment are not really my cup of leaf juice. Honestly, I really don't know what to say. I never really expected this day to come, though I guess somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it had to happen sooner or later. As Deku Lord stated it started on a boring Thursday evening. Me and Deku Lord had recently been setting up a site/forum we titled “Hacks N Gadgets”. During this time we decided to take alternate “Hacker” names, I donned Infectious Byte, and Deku Lord Blighted Operator, I hate to say it but we were want to be E-thugs. Thinking that we were so cool because we could set up free forum sites, and run pre-made tools. See, I met Deku Lord through our similar interests at the time, which was generally hacking/security related subjects. Honestly in the end we were a couple stupid teenagers looking for thrills, and unfortunately we were getting them at the expense of others. In this case Link is Doomed. My side of the story isn't really much different from Deku Lords but I'll post the story from my point of view, as best as I remember.

For reasons unknown, me and Deku Lord shared a disdain for Link is Doomed, which is most definitely not the case today. It all started out as a “Man, if only we could oust Link is Doomed” thing. Instantly those thoughts formed to plans, and the next week was full of discussion of how we could possibly execute such a plan. I still remember showing Deku Lord the private password protected proxy belonging to Critical Security. (proxy.criticalsecurity.net) With the Proxy Deku Lord would be able to make his moves on the site, and it would all appear from a foreign IP. A few days before our 'attack' I remember Deku Lord changing Link is Doomed's password. No one really noticed, aside from Link is Doomed himself and ZeldaEinstein who saw his post in the staff forum, and things went back to normal without much suspicion, allowing for us to do the same a week later only this time with dire consequences for the Underwoods.

I would like to say beforehand, that we already knew that there were back ups for the site, and in no way meant for the site to suffer in any way, only Link is Doomed (wrongfully). After all, we didn't want to destroy somewhere we visited daily, and wholly enjoyed. It was almost more of a publicity stunt than anything else, to get Link is Doomed in trouble. We completely framed him. Because of my hacking/web raiding interests at the time, I was able to supply Deku Lord with proxies, the raid images (Gore, other gross stuff, etc, etc), as well as parts of the plan. Due to my lack of forum access, Deku Lord did most of the actual posting, but I was always there helping him plan, event the moments as it went down. I can't quite remember, but I think I may have even done some of the posting as well, behind a proxy. I think it's entirely fair to say that if I hadn't been around reinforcing these hacker based thoughts and ideals, that this wouldn't have happened at all, and in no way can Deku Lord take all of the blame for this stunt. To put it simply, we got too caught up in what we were doing, to realize that we were in fact doing this to people that we wholly considered friends. I am completely sorry that I took part or even encouraged what went on that day. If I could go back and change it all, I would.

I still remember when Link is Doomed finally appeared, after (I believe) getting off of work. Shocked and bewildered Link is Doomed protested his innocence. I remember him coming on and stating that it was like “a giant hole in his stomach, he couldn't mend”. This showed me the emotional impact our actions had, and that is when the guilt set in, but the deed was already done. It was a bad idea, and a complete lack of good judgment. I honestly don't know what we were thinking, and I am in no way proud of our actions that night. There is no excuse for our actions, and I am not only very sorry for the pain and suffering we caused Link is Doomed, as well as the giant headache Darth must have inherited from the situation, but also sorry to all of you that invested any form of trust into me, this goes especially to ZeldaEinstein and Tetromino. I am ready to accept whatever the staff deem necessary as punishment.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:07 pm
All offenses are forgiven. Through tough trials we've grown closer together. Thank you for finally dispelling any doubt that it was/wasn't you. It's finally good to know the truth.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Administrator

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:32 pm
Well.

In the least offensive way possible, I must say that I suspected this was the case. I've already reflected upon this with you personally, DL, in the last few days, and nothing of value can really be shared on the forum with others. I am glad that you have stepped forward with this as many of the senior members have likely always wondered. For a while, I was convinced of Aka's guilt by his acceptance of the event with jokes, but when you came forward with 'an email from the perpetrator', I changed gears.

This is not to say I have ALWAYS suspected your involvement, or anyone else's for that matter, but in the olden days of first receiving my modship I thought it would be the 'heroic' thing by informing DC of this information you had come across. You could say I had glory in my eyes, for myself and the rest of the mod team, because maybe we could 'get them', whoever had played with fire with our Community. As Aka had seemed to let the topic rest, his easy reintegration with the site, I let my suspicions rest on the idea that someone had to have been involved, and given that you were teeming with evidence, the idea rested on you.

I'm glad I played a part, however small, in your choice to reveal the truth to the community - but, as a single member, my feelings and response to this are of minimal value.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 pm
You should stay, man. What's happened in the past has happened in the past. We're in the present. We're all family here. No need leaving.

Profile YIM WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 am
To be honest, the worst thing you could do is leave, however I think that, at least, should be your decision. Do I want you to leave, no I don't, but I think it would be best to let that choice be yours not ours.

For one, Aka has already forgiven you. If any of us had the right to ask you to leave, I believe that it was him. We (as in the oldest members) were all effected, yes, and all hurt as a result to some degree or another, but it has long since past. Perhaps were I who I was then (a bit of a spitfire, really) I would be enraged, but I'm not, none of us are, we've grown and changed and the very fact that you're mature enough now to come out into the open and admit that you did it shows to me that the change we've seen recently is sincere.

Personally, I see no reason to ask you to leave, and forgive you too. Though, if you want, we can debate in the shoutbox sometime. Kinda miss that, actually. :P

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:27 pm
Now that the truth is out, and there's a level of acceptance, I'll buy a round for everyone. Cheers! *clink*

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:23 pm
Wow, all I can say is that I can't believe I was right about DL. I'll probably post when and why I suspected DL when I have access to a pc and not when I'm on my phone. And about forgiving Mr. G and DL? I dunno just yet.

"I used to be able to input a cheat code, now I've got to enter a credit card"
-John "Totalbiscuit" Bain

"If 'something that is utterly incomprehensible' starts getting popular, doubt your generation. Consider that something may be very wrong."
-Kaiki Deishuu

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 pm
Well I wasn't here, so I don't know exactly what happened. But I guess I forgive you. We all did something that we weren't proud of. Something controlled by our emootions that we just couldn't stop. Something like this happened on Zelda Dungeon a while back. Some people were chattingon the ShoutBox. So one person said something and a mod was freaked out over it or something like that. I dunno. Anywayz, a lot of forum content was deleted. He was banned for a while and regretted what he did. Why am I saying this? It's to prove that not everyone can control their emotions. But don't leave. The past is the past. There's no use worrying about it now. At least you came forward and confessed.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: An Open Letter to the Community • Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 pm
I've always known DL. However being able to prove it is another story. The fact that you've remained a moderator should be indicative of my views. But don't stand there and tell me it was only the community that was ruined that day, because since then I've kept all staff at arms length, never trusting anyone to even come close to the position of a co-administrator; both on the site and forums. Consider it the final straw in a history of staff incidents leading to the current policy.

Nean, I had my suspicions but they were only that. I certainly am disappointed at the two of you for what you did, but I also know you both didn't have to apologize either. That shows how much you've matured in the passing years. Hopefully we can now put this matter to rest.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]