View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 should a woman be forced to die? 

should this woman be forced to die to save the fetus?
yes, because the filthy harlot shoulda kept her legs closed 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
no, it should up to the woman and the doctors to choose who to save 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

should a woman be forced to die? 
Hylian Squire

Post should a woman be forced to die? • Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 pm
Let's say a woman has a severe medical condition. She is pregnant and will die in childbirth unless she gets an abortion. however there is a small chance that the baby will survive if the woman dies and doesn't get the abortion. Do you think that the woman should decide who the doctors should save or do you think that she should be forced to die to save the feetus.

Administrator

Post Re: should a woman be forced to die? • Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 am
I think the woman ought to decide. You can't just force somebody to die for the same reason you can't just shoot people. That said, the poll is definitely a leading question with leading answers; it's far too biased to accurately measure the opinion of the others on this forum.

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: should a woman be forced to die? • Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:03 pm
A lot of people, and let's be clear on this, would never say that in a life or death situation (the woman is going to die or is very likely to die) that abortion in the kind of case as listed above is perfectly moral and ought to be legal. One, the "fetus" is more than likely dead (or going to be), secondly, she has a right to life, so, we ought to save her. Last, this is a medical emergency, of course we ought to try to save her life. We would be acting immorally not to do so...

However, I think what you really want to talk about is whether or not I (or others) are Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. I, however, want to argue that the right to have an abortion is morally ambiguous. And in light of this moral ambiguity, such terms should be thrown out the window.

Personally, I'm not for abortion. I'm also not for drunkenness, sex before marriage, or smoking (I am of the LGTBAQ community, being demi-romantic/Asexual). On moral grounds, I don't agree with it, but I'm not against a woman's right to chose to have an abortion. This may sound like someone speaking out if their *Navi* and their mouth at the same time, but there are several reasons for this contradiction.

First, however, one must understand a few concepts. I won't be going in depth on either, (as that would take a lot of time and writing), but we need to discuss civil rights vs natural rights. Natural rights are rights that each person has a right to, but that they give up for "better" rights given to them by a governing body chosen "by" the people. These rights are guaranteed by the body of laws (called the Constitution in America but it goes by other names elsewhere) is the social contract of the land that we agree to live under. A right given by the government (such as a right to an abortion or to drink or to have a dog) is more like a "permission" given to you. It doesn't mean that something is right or wrong morally speaking, but it is your choice (and right) to make that decision. I don't believe that I can or should have the right to make a moral decision for you, despite that I think abortion is morally wrong...

I also think that using the law to control the actions of others and to strip them of their rights (or prevent them from having them) isn't morally just either. While I would/will always encourage a woman to keep her child (in a non-life or death, or due to rape, situation), I think that we need to create a society that can support single women, working mothers and fathers, and any other situation under the sun. We need to have paid leave for new parents, subsidized daycare for all, health care and sexual education to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If we want less abortions (which I do), we need a society that actually supports families. On top of that, we need to make adoption more variable to parent(s) and easier/cheaper for those looking to adopt. And, even then (since they will happen even in a more "perfect state"), abortion would still have to be legal to make sure that it's safe (otherwise unsafe abortions would become commonplace, and would if we made them illegal now).

In the end, this shows that this topic (the right to have an abortion, not whether it's morally right or wrong) is not nearly as simple as it looks. That, I find, is true of anything under the sun, however. The world is to complex for black and white morality.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: should a woman be forced to die? • Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:17 pm
The Tetress wrote:
A lot of people, and let's be clear on this, would never say that in a life or death situation (the woman is going to die or is very likely to die) that abortion in the kind of case as listed above is perfectly moral and ought to be legal. One, the "fetus" is more than likely dead (or going to be), secondly, she has a right to life, so, we ought to save her. Last, this is a medical emergency, of course we ought to try to save her life. We would be acting immorally not to do so...

However, I think what you really want to talk about is whether or not I (or others) are Pro-Life or Pro-Choice. I, however, want to argue that the right to have an abortion is morally ambiguous. And in light of this moral ambiguity, such terms should be thrown out the window.

Personally, I'm not for abortion. I'm also not for drunkenness, sex before marriage, or smoking (I am of the LGTBAQ community, being demi-romantic/Asexual). On moral grounds, I don't agree with it, but I'm not against a woman's right to chose to have an abortion. This may sound like someone speaking out if their *Navi* and their mouth at the same time, but there are several reasons for this contradiction.

First, however, one must understand a few concepts. I won't be going in depth on either, (as that would take a lot of time and writing), but we need to discuss civil rights vs natural rights. Natural rights are rights that each person has a right to, but that they give up for "better" rights given to them by a governing body chosen "by" the people. These rights are guaranteed by the body of laws (called the Constitution in America but it goes by other names elsewhere) is the social contract of the land that we agree to live under. A right given by the government (such as a right to an abortion or to drink or to have a dog) is more like a "permission" given to you. It doesn't mean that something is right or wrong morally speaking, but it is your choice (and right) to make that decision. I don't believe that I can or should have the right to make a moral decision for you, despite that I think abortion is morally wrong...

I also think that using the law to control the actions of others and to strip them of their rights (or prevent them from having them) isn't morally just either. While I would/will always encourage a woman to keep her child (in a non-life or death, or due to rape, situation), I think that we need to create a society that can support single women, working mothers and fathers, and any other situation under the sun. We need to have paid leave for new parents, subsidized daycare for all, health care and sexual education to prevent unwanted pregnancies. If we want less abortions (which I do), we need a society that actually supports families. On top of that, we need to make adoption more variable to parent(s) and easier/cheaper for those looking to adopt. And, even then (since they will happen even in a more "perfect state"), abortion would still have to be legal to make sure that it's safe (otherwise unsafe abortions would become commonplace, and would if we made them illegal now).

In the end, this shows that this topic (the right to have an abortion, not whether it's morally right or wrong) is not nearly as simple as it looks. That, I find, is true of anything under the sun, however. The world is to complex for black and white morality.

There are plenty of "pro-lifers" (more like pro fetus amirite?) that say that the mother should be left to die. As a matter of fact a woman DIED because she was denied an abortion her story is here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... lappanavar . Her precious fetus died too.

I agree that if you want abortions to be reduced we need to support mothers and provide education and contrception to reduce uinwanted pregnancies . Most abortions are actually done because the mothers cant afford a child . which is why i can't stand "pro-life" republicans. They move heaven and earth to make sure an unwanted fetus isn't aborted but don't want to support the child after it's born, they demonize mothers on welfare. You can't want abortion to be banned but then whine about having to support poor mothers and unwanted children.

I find that most pro-lifers see the world in black in white. They constantly say that abortion is always baby murdah even if it's to save the life/heath of the mother and that any woman who gets an abortion is a cold hearted murderer on par with Diane Downs.

Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]