View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. 
Sheikah Elder

Post The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:27 am
I'm creating this thread to explore different views on this topic. Please keep it classy and interesting, and I'll post my views on the subject later on. Be respectful, and don't generalize as there are those who walk among us. Feel free to ask questions if you're unsure, and give excellent insight on your opinions. The motivation for this thread is to inform everyone, so lets stick to the facts. Cheers! ;D

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Banned

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:15 am
Short and sweet: Alcohol is legal, and it can mess you up worse than pot. I see no reason that, given similar restrictions, marijuana should be illegal while alcohol is.

Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 am
Despite my grumbling over misconceptions and myths about pot, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnNPm5cG85c , it addresses common myths with over 140 pieces of research done on cannabis, I see no issue in its safe consumption and proper legalization. There are worse things out there, and a regulation of marijuana would do more good than harm. Of course, like any other regulated drug, I don't think it should be in the hands of young teens, but that never happens, they're big jerks. :P

Some of my best friends are recreational users, and it may not be for me, but I don't caaaareeeee. :P

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 pm
I don't encourage smoking, but tobacco's worse than pot and that dang crap is legal.

Plus, there's some good things that it can do. It has medical purposes. If I remember right, it was made illegal for economical (and stupid) reasons. Yes, I wouldn't mind for it to be legalized and regulated, fact, I'd trade the legalization of marijuana for the delegalization of tobacco...xD

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Zora Guard

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:13 pm
What I don't understand is, here in Canada, we have stores that sell marijuana accessories like the bong, paper, etc but not the actual drug and it's not legal. I think it should be legal and we tax the *Navi* out of it.

Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:52 pm
We have head shops here also. It's not uncommon to see a hookah, pipe, bong and others for sale downtown here. The scapegoat is that they're for tobacco use only though. I will agree that it needs to be legalized. It's pretty harmless, considering the long term effects are tar buildup and inhaling carcinogens. This can be eliminated through using a vaporizer of some sort. I don't know about heavy taxing on such product though. I'd like to see your viewpoint before I defend it.

As for the industry, hemp can be a very viable resource. It's good for making many different things such as paper. Replacing standard materials with hemp-based materials can cause quite an upset with manufacturers, thus causing hemp to be outlawed.

As you might have guessed, yeah. I'm a recreational user. The experience is quite enlightening. It's like opening your eyes for the first time. All your creativity comes out and it's rather awesome to see.

[12:08:29 PM] AkaAnonymous: I buy expensive things and talk to pretty girls all day. When I'm not doing that, I usually act like I'm 10. Because 10 is awesome.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm
I don't like smoking, and I forgot one last thing...I'd like it to be taxed too. Just not too extreme, since this isn't tobacco. It isn't as dangerous, but local/state taxes could help our economies in the long run. Yes, taxes do that, but this isn't a topic about taxes, so I'll leave it there. ;P

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:11 am
I would disagree, Tetromino. Given that the substance is typically smoked, one joint is worth about the same amount of tar and carcinogens as a pack of cigarettes, and slightly more likely to cause cancer. This applies, as far as we know, to smoking, so vaporization and consumption might still be an option, but the other problem lies in that it's also a component cause of schizophrenia, among other mental health related issues. I submit that it's quite a bit more dangerous than tobacco, especially when ingested the same way.

That said, I think it should be legal in the same way as alcohol sans the age restriction (which I think should be 18 [if only for conformity to the "out of school" tradition] with an emphasis on the fact that mind-altering substances can impact your mental development when used before age 25), punishing users only for the things they do while on the drug instead of punishing the use of it.

~Samuel Clemens

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:54 pm
You're apparently right about the larger amounts of tar, but it would appear you are wrong about the increase in risk of cancer. At least for lung cancer. Then again this article is from 2006. Anyway, yeah I'm a user. I support regulation and similar restrictions to alcohol, as well as a somewhat hefty tax.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 083353.htm

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:35 am
It's okay, DL. I'm fine with being wrong. This is hardly my area of expertise, but from my understanding the research done is limited because it's illegal (this is kind of obvious, but whatever). It would be safer for the government, those who use it, and those who might be effected by those who use it if it's legal because then we can do proper research and testing, and I think that legalization could help in awareness and other such things...

I live in a state where marijuana's legal for medical practices. I'm not against legalizing it fully, but I don't promote using it myself, other than for medicine...*shrug*

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:42 am
The research on the cancer topic goes back and forth, although a particular study from a few years later found that it increased risk for lung cancer (which would make sense, given the tar; that *Navi*'s not harmless); this particular study worked rather hard to take confounding variables out of the equation, which is why I trust it perhaps a tad bit more than other studies. More research, of course, should be done, considering the volatile nature of the topic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18238947

~Samuel Clemens

Banned

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:02 am
Thank God for brownies and bongs then, yes?

Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm
Bongs not so much, seeing as they don't do anything to the smoke besides making it cooler on the lungs; it's still filterless, it's just a bit more diluted with oxygen and won't burn your throat as easily. Even brownies won't save you from the mental effects, though.

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:05 pm
But a little brownie would be okay, right? I always wanted to try marijuana brownies...and candies and baked goods. Not anything with a LOT of stuff, though. Small portions; admittedly, I'm still for it because I wouldn't mind seeing brownies as medicine. D:

Or yummie foodstuffs...:shifty:

Also, would a vaporizer (or whatever the darn thing is called) be more effective?

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: The consumption of and legalization of Marijuana. • Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:13 am
What a vaporizer is supposed to do is heat the compound up to the point where all the psychoactive chemicals vaporize while leaving the rest of it intact. In theory, vaporization is as free of health effects as eating it, although the rate of absorption would be higher and I don't know if there's any lungular tar associated with inhaling cannabinoids in particular.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next