View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bullying 
Administrator

Post Bullying • Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:57 pm
I don't think there's a person on this forum that endorses bullying. I used to think nobody in the world really did, but perhaps I've been proved wrong. A few days ago, Michigan passed a law (Matt's Safe School Law) that excepts bullying by reason of religious or moral conviction from their definition of bullying as a result of AFA lobbying. Those guys who go out and commit hate crimes, claiming the victim is immoral and therefore deserves it? Those guys are now protected under Michigan law.

I don't even know what to say about this. It disgusts me and strikes me as the scale equivalent of allowing serial killers to run loose if they have a "religious or moral conviction" that what they're doing needs to be done.

~Samuel Clemens

Zora Guard

Post Re: Bullying • Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 am
hm....that's weird. So they can bully as long as it's for religion or morality? That's stupid. I think that bullying shouldn't be illegal, but students should be taught how to defend yourself from a bully, and an easy way for teachers to identify bullying. There's a video on that, but it's got some inapropriate stuff, and it may offend a lot of people.

WARNING! THIS VIDEO HAS INAPROPRIATE STUFF SUCH AS CURSING AND SOME SEXUAL REFERENCES. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY STUFF LIKE THAT, THEN PLEASE DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Bullying • Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 pm
I'd liked to know where it says it what religion, with proof, that it's OK to bully someone or what gives the right for someone to commit a crime to another because "they are immoral". What makes them immoral to them? What ever happened to "love thy neighbour"?

I think this is going to be abused a lot. People can now hide their reasons for bullying behind religion even if they may not be religious just so they can get away with it.

This reminds me of the Westboro "Baptist Church" (putting the last two words in quotes here), which I'm sure most have heard of. If not, they call themselves an independent "Church" but end up picketing or going to funerals of dead soldiers or will be going to the funerals of the students of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting that just happened recently. Example of a sign they would hold here:

There have been recent protests to call this church a hate group but this is just one example of bullying because someone they thought to be immoral and had to deliver "God's message" aka their own.

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Bullying • Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am
We must be reading different laws, I'd interpret it quite differently. Here's the original section:

"This section does not abridge the rights under the First Amendment of the constitution of the United States or under article I of the state constitution of 1963 of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil's parent or guardian. This section does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction of a school employee, school volunteer, pupil, or a pupil's parent or guardian."

This does not allow for Westboro kind of crap, that's actually Constitutional under Free Speech. Under closer inspection, bullying can be justified under free speech too! That's why law isn't always good especially when people think they can imply any interpretation they want, but that's what post modernism's done (I'm not saying this is intentional in this case, but I just can't see it the same way as everyone else has). This law is anti-bullying, much like similar laws in many other states probably with similar religious protection added.

However, it does not constitute using religion as an excuse for bullying, but protects religious rights because certain actions might be seen as bullying. But, if people don't know how to love in their witness they have no witness and they should shut the hell up. I can see why that might be seen as bullying; and I hate when "Christians" or other religious people do that (I'd argue it's a type of bullying), but yes, to some extent it needs to be protected. Yet, there's a fine line between religious bullying and religious freedom; just like there's a fine line between free speech and bullying. Depending on how smart someone is, you could weave bullying of many kinds into legal bullying...

It's not a big deal that this section is here. Sure, some screwed up person might try what you suggest, but I feel that would be a weak case in a court of law. Free Speech platforms are much more dangerous and much more likely to cause religious bullying or any kind of bullying for that matter than this law is. It sucks, but it's true despite that free speech is a good thing most of the time. The real problem is, does my free speech violate other people's rights? In the case of Westboro, this is the case. The same question should be applied to free speech (in cases of bullying), does it violate other people's rights? Yes, it does. So, bullying should not be legal... Still, I can make a mighty good argument for bullying (if I were a lawyer) given the right situation and the current view of free speech in certain circles...

But anyways, I think you guys are overacting to this law and blowing it out of proportion. *shrug*

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: Bullying • Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:38 pm
After looking at DL's links I was confused since this bill passed in 2011 and it's currently 2013.

Then I saw the post date.

This is a really old topic guys. If you want to reopen this debate, I would suggest starting a new topic since the references in this thread are fairly old. That would avoid confusion from people like me.

Locked.

Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]