View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve 
Administrator

Post NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm
:nyancat:

As many members of the community are aware, NaNoWriMo (National Writing Month) is coming up once more. Writers attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I tried it once in the past and failed due to several circumstances beyond my control. (ie my novel was crap)

However, this year I am seriously considering joining once more. As some of you are aware, I have been writing a novel (series) in my mind for the last couple years and it's about time I get it on paper.

So, for the wily veterans out there, what advice do you have for aspiring Nanowrimos? Also is anyone else crazy enough to try this with me?

Link: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:44 pm
Don't be in uni and try this...or you'll die. Seriously, wait...that wouldn't count for you though. :P

One thing, you have to write every day. Even if it's utter crap, the goal is to get done. I remember when I wrote my first 50,000 word thing (and it was crap, I'm not ever going to finish/write that story but I learned a heck of a lot from doing it), one of the major things I regret not doing is that. I got it done, but I general wrote a ton at once. That's usually not the way to go, one you get mind cramps and you begin to not want to continue. It just gets really hard to meet your goal when you don't write everyday like that, but if you do, in a week it won't be a pain any more.

It becomes a habit.

I guess that's what NaNo is good for, making a writing a habit for the aspiring writer. I already write enough as it is (being a history major and all) so I won't be trying this year. Also, caffeine, stubbornness, and will. If you mess a day, remember, you can still catch up. The worse thing to do is to give up, even if you don't reach the goal, part of NaNo is attempting NaNo. I guess it's like the "writing Iditarod". xD

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm
So how much to you people plan in advance? I know you aren't supposed to start writing your story until November 1st, but what about the outline?

Also I'm seriously the only one doing it this year? FINE I'LL JUST BE ALL BY MYSELF IN THE DESERT ALONE.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 pm
Well hey, somebody in the A.S.S. is doing it this year (and I can give you updates on them if you like), but I'm going to be swamped with a big research paper smack in the middle of November. Furthermore, I have quite a large project to tackle myself during that time, if you know what I mean.

~Samuel Clemens

Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm
I'm tentatively going to try... again. As for advice, I don't have any, it's just something that you do or don't :p. So long as writing can become habitual, hitting that magic ~1600 will be easy. If not, then it'll be horrible. Like it is for me, every year T_T.

I wish you much luck, though ;D

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm
You could maybe pick on Smoosh. She could be another conspirator in this little venture!

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 pm
Well here goes nothing. Here's my profile with my super legit pen name: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/c-d-paul/

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:50 pm
And at 53,873 words I have finished the first draft of my novel.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participant ... 8898/stats

*balloons*

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:33 pm
Congratulations! I did a total of no words! ;D

Great job beating the challenge, DC, we knew you could do it D:

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: NaNoWriMo Twenty Twelve • Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:59 pm
Darth Citrus wrote:
And at 53,873 words I have finished the first draft of my novel.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participant ... 8898/stats

*balloons*

When I did mine...I was only...one fourth through the book I was writing...xD

Then I abandoned it...because it wasn't that good. :L

Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]