View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 N00b 
Hylian Squire

Post N00b • Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:01 pm
I'm a new(ish) webmaster, and was wondering if someone could give me some tips.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: N00b • Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:49 am
Considering Website Design is my real life job, I might be able to help.

-You need to start with an overall idea for what you want the site to be
-You need to design a template (Good templates are done using PHP and CSS, but very basic designs can be done well using HTML)
-Design the site around the name, and do the design in the same day. You won't always go into the design the next day thinking the same things you were before.
-Upload the site and start on Version 2.0 (The site will look overall, much nicer and cleaner if you do an immediate revision of your design. How do you think Darth got to this part of EDN? Site looks amazing. :D)

Tools of the trade:
-FTP client: One such as FileZilla or FlashFXP (a $$ service, but worth the money if you do get a full license)
-Image manipulation program: A lot of us have Adobe Photoshop, and these help us with the images for the site. Most are created from scratch.
-Mouse/Tablet: If you really get into this, and decide you may want to keep doing it for a while, a good investment is a tablet. Wacom and KWorld make excellent tablets and can either be found online at places like http://www.newegg.com or a local electronics store like Best Buy, Office Depot, or Micro Center.
-Creativity: lots of this is generally great

Programming languages you may learn and develop upon:
-CSS: Cascading Style Sheets. These were initially used to position objects in a website anywhere you wanted to freely, without the use of HTML tables.
-PHP: Similar to C# programming, and is a valuable tool to learn.
-Javascript/jquery: Lots of neat library effects and can be used to give your website a nice "wake-up juice".
-HTML/XHTML: basic structure of website design.

Hosting:
There's lots of hosting options in the world, but I'd follow the following guide to finding one that's right for you on the Joomla! Website. I don't like using Joomla, but I came across this nugget at work, and it makes a lot of sense if you're going to use a CMS. http://docs.joomla.org/Top_10_Stupidest ... tor_Tricks

And there you have it! Any questions?

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]