View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The EDN Pokemon League 
Administrator

Post The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm
Alright guys, this idea just came to me in the middle of a fever, but since we have a lot of people here who play Pokemon, why don't we make an EDN pokemon league?

The idea is simple, we appoint 4 people to become the Elite Four. Then, anyone who wishes to challenge an elite four member has to contact that person, set up a battle and beat them. Then the Elite Four member gives a person a badge signifying they have have succeeded. Once a person has all four badges, they become the league champion, and will field challenges from future besters of the Elite Four.

The reason I'm only using the Elite Four is that we don't have enough people to have eight gyms first. Maybe sometime in the future. So if you guys are interested, post in this topic and I'll set everything up for real, including battling rules and fancy graphics.

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm
I'm in.

I love playing Pokémon, and have already beaten Red in SS. Feeeeaaarrr the Zabimaru.

Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm
That'd be neat :p but how would we figure who the Elite Four members are? Voting? Battling amongst ourselves?

Either way, I'd like to be a contender in whatever business this will be, I think it's pretty epic :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm
We need a Dragon...oh, never mind. :P

But seriously, we could've just done it like in the show where the League is more of a tournament and chose the top four trainers plus one (the champion) from that and then make them the elite four. Have a sign up for the tourney and once that is over, we could figure the rest out. :p

Perhaps, it would have to be like when teams (hockey/basketball/soccer/etc) play in the Olympics too...

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 pm
=o That would be so cool. x3 But yeah, I'm also wondering about how it's gonna be set up. :P

I doubt I could be in the Elite Four. I'd have to train a lot more and get a much better team. xP

Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm
An interesting interjection but, as an Elite Four, would we have to coincide with the usual rules that we have a type specialty and must build a team that reflects such? Or would we all in a sense be Champion styled trainers? :p

But yes, I know rules are coming up and all that such and such, but, still something I just pondered, Pinky.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm
It would be nice, but it's not required. The only stipulation is that the Elite Four can only use 5 pokemon and no legendaries. I'm not sure what level cap we're going to use yet. Probably 100, so we can save 50 for gym leaders in the future. :P

Profile WWW
Terminian Captain

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 pm
Oh snap! I regret slacking on the game now, my pokemon suck lol =P. Will this also include platinum version? Or is this strictly Heartgold/Soulsilver?

Zora Guard

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:43 pm
Invaderzzim wrote:
Oh snap! I regret slacking on the game now, my pokemon suck lol =P. Will this also include platinum version? Or is this strictly Heartgold/Soulsilver?

I think all of the 4th Gen games are allowed.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm
Zabimaru wrote:
Invaderzzim wrote:

I think all of the 4th Gen games are allowed.

No kidding.

Darth Citrus wrote:
It would be nice, but it's not required. The only stipulation is that the Elite Four can only use 5 pokemon and no legendaries. I'm not sure what level cap we're going to use yet. Probably 100, so we can save 50 for gym leaders in the future. :P

So, you hope to have a Dragon/Dark/Steel/Grass/Poison/Normal/Whatever for the elite four. Well, even those (at least in the second set of games) that were Poison/Dark/Psyche/Fighting/Dragon did not only use Pokemon of that type. Most used Pokemon with a double type or even Pokemon that weren't of that type. Heck, Lance has a Charizard, that one rock bird, and a Gyrados. He only has Dragonites for his Dragon type. :p (Even if he is the champion)...And Bruno uses Onyx, and Onyx isn't a fighting type.

So, I don't think it matters too much if those elite members used a non-type Pokemon if they decided to go with one type. *shrugs*

But, I think that an Eevee (plus the Eeveelutions) would be an excellent Elite four member. Themed, yes, but not themed, strictly, by type.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:33 pm
It would be nice, but it's not required. The only stipulation is that the Elite Four can only use 5 pokemon and no legendaries. I'm not sure what level cap we're going to use yet. Probably 100, so we can save 50 for gym leaders in the future.
(copied, too lazy to quote)

I take much issue with these rules, personally.

Firstly, as we'd likely be playing over WiFi, a level cap is entirely irrelevant. There is a Lv 50 and a Lv 100 All function.

Second, a blatant "no Legendary" clause is entirely uncalled for. There is a banlist for competitive Pokémon, http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

Thirdly, 5 Pokémon? Really? The only real reason the Elite Four in-game has 5 each is simply for game balance reasons.

Fourthly, the set of clauses used in competitive battling. Bolded are the "Standard" rules. In addition to these, it may be limited to a certain tier; OU being Ubers banned, UU being Ubers and OU banned, NU being Ubers, OU, and UU banned, and Little Cup having its very own eccentric ruleset.

Species Clause states that you may have no more than one of a single Pokémon species on your team.

Sleep Clause states that you may not cause more than one of your opponent's Pokémon to be asleep. If that Pokémon is no longer asleep, whether by waking up or fainting, you may put another opponent Pokémon to sleep. Your opponent using the move "Rest" or, in Doubles, using a sleep move on one of their own Pokémon does not count towards this limit.

Freeze Clause is identical to sleep clause, but applies to freezing. Generally scoffed at by competitive players and those who understand the game mechanics. Heck, if you look at the moves which cause it, you'll understand why this is outdated.

Item Clause states that you may not use identical hold items on two Pokémon. Never used, except by scrubs and Nintendo.

Extended Game Clause is an outdated clause that allows the use of Arceus and 4 event only berries. Outdated as Arceus and those berries are now obtainable.

OHKO Clause states that OHKO moves are banned from use. Use of Guillotine, Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, or Fissure means you forfeit the match.

Soul Dew Clause bans the item Soul Dew. This is necessary since the unbanning of Latias.

Evasion Clause bans all moves that raise Evasion except for the move Acupressure.

Legendary Clause is a clause that bans Legendaries, or places arbitrary limits on their use. Never, ever used.

When it comes to tiers, I'd assume OU.

Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:41 pm
>_>

The whole point of having this thread is to create an EDN emulation of the pokemon league. There are maybe only 3 people here that would play ultra competitively. What's the point of making this ultra competitive and end up having no one beat the elite four? The point is to create a system were we can battle each other but have something to show for it. If you want super competition, you'll have to look somewhere else man, sorry.

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 pm
I agree with SD's suggestion to restrict the ubers list. No legendaries is a bit harsh.

Other than that, the only clauses I advise are Sleep and Freeze, and Soul Dew for Latias.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm
Well, the no Wobbuffet and Wynault (baby Wobbuffet) is good, because that Pokemon is really no fair to use in battle due to it's abilities and attacks. But, I think that the reason for the "no legendaries" isn't that big a deal. *sigh*

Profile YIM
Zora Guard

Post Re: The EDN Pokemon League • Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:56 pm
I'll nominate myself for the Dragon type of the E4.

There should be a minitournament between participants to determine the champion. Though, Caleb should just have it really.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next