View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application 
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:07 am
It's better. Unlike Shoddy, where they're sort of like "yeah, just wait for the new one we're making" PO just updates every time a glitch is found. It's far more accurate at game mechanics than Shoddy. Battles are a bit slower than Shoddy, but not by much, think how nbs showed movement of HP bars, though I'm pretty sure that can be turned off.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:16 pm
That sounds good. I'll give it a go.

Also, how competitive is the ladder, and is the metagame similar to that on Smogon's Shoddy server (i.e. same tiers including recent changes)?

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:14 am
Same tiers, metagame is somewhat different due mostly to the Smogon community's superiority complex. Also, doubles are supported, which is always nice.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:19 am
Well, I'm always up for a casual game of the Pokeymans. I don't know what any of those rule things you mentioned are, though. Also, Supreme Dirt...you are the least fun person I have ever met. Ever. You're make Pokemon sound like serious business or something. :P

Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:25 am
@Yaz: Here's a list of clauses: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro ... mon#clause Item clause is a stupid rule for competitive play, and freeze clause can't be policed on Wi-fi, but those other rules all stand for it. I'm not sure which rules will be used for the E4 challenge.

Also, if you want a game and we're both online, drop me a PM or something and we can arrange one :D

Profile WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 pm
Not fun? Rules for Pokémon get rid of stuff that make it unfun, like abusing Double Team and sleep moves.

I actually play the Uber tier mostly, which means I play with one less rule than the average player.

Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32 am
@B01: Man, all that link did was prove competitive play is the easiest way to suck all the fun out of something. Playing to win? Using simulators to achieve absolute perfection? It's all akin to playing Smoosh Bros. on Final Destination, no items, with Falco vs Sheik (or whatever the "top tier" characters are these days...Metaknight, probably).

@SD: Knowing you and Pokemon, you're probably the one who introduced the concept of rules to the EDN League...but I digress. :p

Anyway, as soon as I have an idea on what sort of teams the Elite Four will have up their sleeves, I'll be able to figure out what I want to use out of my 'mons...but it'll almost certainly involve a Machamp and a Rapidash. :p

Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:10 am
@Yaz: As SD stated, the rules are there to make a funner and more balanced game. Do you ever find it fun playing against an in-game trainer who uses Double Team until their evasion is at maximum, then putting your entire team to sleep one by one as you switch between them?

I play pokemon for fun, and the clauses make it fun. They're there as a result of agreements within the community as to what is and isn't fun. Also, simulators are used because wi-fi is painfully slow and has no random matchmaking, not to "achieve perfection". Perfection in Pokemon is impossible: You can build the best team possible, with the right counters to the right threats, and still be messed up by the opponent getting a critical hit at the right moment. It's just the kind of game Pokemon is.

Profile WWW
Goron Warrior

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:34 pm
@B01: ...I disagree with everything you just said. For me, gaming works by the honour system. I naturally assume that the other player isn't going to exploit some cheap system to beat me. But then if they do, half the fun is somehow, through insurmountable odds, breaking their system. For example, when versing a friend of mine, he seems to have a magic, really fast Jumpluff who never misses with Sleep Powder. So he goes around putting all my Pokemon to sleep. I anticipate this, and when he puts a certain Pokemon to sleep...BAM! Sleep Talk! Super-effective attack! Dead Jumpluff! Or a nail-biting battle where it's his Jumpluff vs my low-health Rapidash...and he misses with Sleep Powder! BAM! Flame Wheel to the face! And banning OHKO moves? The entire fun of OHKO moves is to see if they hit or not. Which is where moves like Double Team come into the picture. :D True, it's really annoying if someone takes advantage of some exploit or cheap move, but I like to think that people are better than that; at the very least, the people here. And if it was completely unfair to use those moves (e.g. Double Team), WHY would they be in the game at all? Anyway, moving on...

So, who are our Elite Four, and have they all come up with their theme yet, at least?

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:11 pm
Yazstromo wrote:
And if it was completely unfair to use those moves (e.g. Double Team), WHY would they be in the game at all? Anyway, moving on...

Because the game is designed around the 1 player story. Moves like double team aren't completely unfair there, because a large part of 1p story is having moves with good PP.

Yazstromo wrote:
@B01: Man, all that link did was prove competitive play is the easiest way to suck all the fun out of something. Playing to win? Using simulators to achieve absolute perfection? It's all akin to playing Smoosh Bros. on Final Destination, no items, with Falco vs Sheik (or whatever the "top tier" characters are these days...Metaknight, probably).

Sheik is actually pretty low on the tier list, Final Destination is not a balanced stage in the least, and I rarely play MK vs. MK. Part of that is because I main Ganondorf.

Quote:
@SD: Knowing you and Pokemon, you're probably the one who introduced the concept of rules to the EDN League...but I digress. :p

Either me or TZ.

brainiac01 wrote:
You can build the best team possible, with the right counters to the right threats, and still be messed up by Supreme Dirt kicking your *** with Farfetch'd.

Fixed.

Also, 0.o

Administrator

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 am
Obviously this league never got off the ground, despite some extensive planning way back when.

I am posting to ask who would still be interested in honouring this league as well as challengers, especially now that Black and White 2 are on their way here? I know that DL and I have been talking 'recently' about setting up teams in case this League ever gets going, so I ask fellow Elite 4 members and all interested parties:

ARE YOU A POKEMON MASTER?!*

* Do you want this League to carry on, say, this summer. :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Knight

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:21 am
I have White version. Any reason to pick it back up would be a good one, I guess.

Administrator

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 am
Oh jeeze, this summer? I'd certainly be interested, but I'm sure I'd get stomped with so little time to prepare. :p

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 am
Sure, though I'd have to re-find my version and stuff. <_< Probably meaning I'll be buying a new one...D:

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: EDN Pokemon League Challengers Application • Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 am
The league "died" because Nintendo's WiFi was so unreliable we couldn't even hold best of three competitions successfully.

Supposing this has been fixed now, are you asking to start a new round robin? Or for existing Elite 4 to create a Black/White version of their team to do battle?

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next