View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Where in the World is YOU?! 
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm
Ooh, New Hampshire? Have you been to Canterbury. I have a friend there.

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:05 pm
No, not recently.... I'm in the Cheshire County, the county most south-west to the state (so relatively, I'm not too far, but I don't no any time I'll end up there....)

"Time, like space, although a dimension in itself, also has dimensions of its own." ~Viki, DR. WHO

"Seek you the world? Seek you power? Does your soul despise peace and thirst for more? Does your soul cry for destruction and conquest? We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness."

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:03 pm
Sintra, near Lisbon, Portugal. :)

Administrator

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
I'm curious, Berlioz; are you originally from Portugal?

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 am
Yessir. Born in Lisbon, son of a Portuguese man and a mostly French mother.

I can list the 10 different bloods that inhabit my body from only 3 generations, if you want. :P

Administrator

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am
Heh, no thanks. ;P

I asked because you have an impressive command of the English language for somebody whose native tongue is not English, and also because your website isn't written in Portuguese.

Though, I might just be exhibiting the ignorant American in me; it's a near universal truth in this country that students aren't well educated (or don't care) as far as contemporary countries are concerned. How did you come to learn English?

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:00 pm
Started alone because of video games (age 4) and TV movies/series/cartoons. Portugal was one of the few countries that in the 90s still didn't dub cartoons. Portugal is also very turned towards to the American and British media, so everything came here untranslated, with subtitles. Sometimes it didn't even have any, as we got Cartoon Network without any subtitles at all. You can't imagine how that helps.
Today, it's becoming just like the rest of Europe and cartoons are getting dubbed (LAMELY, on top of that). Cartoons, as in, the little cartoons that are left, since now it's apparently a fad to eliminate the childhood part of childhood and spring babies directly into teens with stupid (horribly dubbed) teen shows. I can see the difference in the kids' English.

It is also part of the education to have English classes from first grade (6 years old) until the 11th grade (12th if you're in the Humanities course). Well, it was like that when I was in school, I'm not sure how it is now. That helped as well.

The third and most important thing was my exposure to the internet. I think I started at 11 or a bit sooner, and being exposed to most stuff in English also played an important role (because at the time it was also the most common language on the web, at least associated to whatever I was trying to find information about).

To top it off, I graduated in American languages, literature and culture some years ago (American as in, North America, not only the U.S. xD). My mother's eclectic blood always helped us stay in touch with foreigners she knew or came to meet, and I always felt more connected to the English language and any outside world than my own country. xD

It is very hard for me to create something written in Portuguese, for example, since it either sounds lame or childish to me. I tried starting a comic opera in Portuguese, but I soon turned it into English because I was getting disgusted. :P

It's just not my vibe. I don't like anything here, not even the mindset. Every known Portuguese artist has started by leaving the country, which is what I intend to do anyway because everything is mediocre around here. I wouldn't mind the mediocrity AROUND me as long as I could strive for something higher myself, but there isn't even that enthusiastic delivery of one's self into what one is working on. People are too contained, never spontaneous, and that's a nightmare for me since I can't get decent help from anyone. I've tried for years now.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:00 am
I have lived in California all of my life.but have moved into many different parts of it. I currently live in Murrieta Cal. and spent 10 years before that in French valley Cal. Then two years in a trash can next to a Wallmart,I'm just kidding by the way.Lastly from my earliest memories I remember living in the Torrance area.

I have only been out of state a few times in the past for vacations like; Chicago,Louisiana,Texas, and Wisconsin. I have yet to venture out to another county like our Canadian leader in Canada.

-Luke

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:17 pm
Currently attending the community college in Kalispell Montana.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:02 am
I live in Orlando, Florida but my Home Town is New York, New York City. Hopefully I will be able move back. :)

Administrator

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 am
Well, for the past year and from now until an indefinite point in the future:

Near the Bay of Fundy D:

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 am
I suppose I forgot to make mention in the official topic that I'm currently in Michigan, United States and will be for the better part of the next four years. Woo.

~Samuel Clemens

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:51 pm
Hmm...

All the way in a small city in Texas called El Paso. I am currently attending an awesome school that's filled with people whom I can't describe nicely and people who kick butt at competitions and sports. :P

Zora Guard

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 pm
Since I revealed it in the Shoutbox today anyways...

Edmonton, Alberta Canada(land)

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Where in the World is YOU?! • Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:41 pm
The wonderful world of California, where fangirls run rampid.

Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next