View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Video Games/ Girls 
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 am
Thank you so much. This is so perfecy. :nyancat: Nyan Cat perfect. I hate that. But where I go to gamestop I've been going there since I was a little girl to buy videogames with my sister. They know better than to say that or think that. I will light their hair on fire. :onfire:

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Video Games/ Girls • Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:20 pm
I agree that the stereotypes against female gamers have long persisted and women who talk about or are seen playing videogames are usually typecasted as fangirls or very alternative.

But I think that perception has been slowly changing since the Wii was introduced. Regardless of age or gender, I think it's pretty much acceptable for any person to be seen playing a Wii. Granted, this might be geared more towards casual gaming like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but I've definitely seen my fair share of women buying videogames in stores. Not only did women make up at least 1/3 of the people who waited in line alongside me to pick up the pre-ordered Skyward Sword bundle at its midnight launch, but I recently attended the Symphony of the Goddesses concert (full review at my site) and guess what? Almost 50% of the attendees were female, ranging from children to elderly women. They came from all walks of life and they were there to celebrate Zelda just as passionately as any of the male attendees. I didn't detect any bias or judgment at the event.

My personal opinion is that this life is too grand to let how other people unfairly view you affect your mood or condition. Maybe it's easier said than done because I'm a guy, but I think I would honestly relish those awkward silences like you described with the clerk. Just know that those who judge you based on gender bias/inequality in standards have some maturing ahead of them. If you enjoy videogames, don't let anyone prevent you from that in any way, shape or form. Hold strong.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2