View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What Will You Carry With You. . . 
Hylian Swordsman

Post What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:53 am
. . . In case of a zombie apocolypse?

This discussion, we'll discuss what we will carry on us in case of a zombie apocolypse (Yes, sounds very farfetched, but c'mon, with modern medicines and all this other science, we'll be bound to run into that human-eating sensation that is seen in movies), where a good tactical position will be, and what TO DO and what NOT TO DO. Now, I want this serious, none of that "LOLOLOLOL 2 NUKES AND 15 BILLIONZ GALONS OF TEH GASOLEEN IN A TANK" crap. Take this seriously. Think, "Wow, I can carry x lbs of gear, what should I take?". And where? And what to use as a mode of transportation?

(If this belongs in the Serious board of Discussion, change it, please. I was not entirely sure if it should go there, or on the General Discussion)

NOW, here are some rules.

1. ABSOLUTELY NO gory explanations. I DO NOT want to hear anything that is above PG13, AND EVEN PG13 is pushing the border. I do NOT care if this is a zombie apocolypse.
2. NO SPAMMING. I do not want to wake-up juice in and see someone repeating what they said. THIS IS A DISCUSSION TOPIC. We will chat, and figure out what would be proper and inproper.
3. DO NOT FLAME OR NERD RAEG over someone's opinion. Simply point out little loopholes or problems, and if they get defensive, DO NOT ENGAGE FARTHER. Simply pull out, and if they continue to harass YOU over it, send a notice to our advisors. I DO NOT want anyone getting in trouble, or getting harassed. I want this to be smooth, and happy. Kapeesh?
4. Have fun. Do not take this completely serious.

Now, I'm sorry if I came up rude or angry about this. I just wanted to make a topic where we can happily talk about things like this.

I personally would carry a backpack with extra clothes, maybe a set or two, with tightly sealed cans of food, and a canopener. A tomahawk, a Native American weapon, would be my midrange weapon. Why? it's pointy on almost all ends. More chances of success. As a long-range, I'd take my Ruger .22 rifle, because the .22 rounds are very easy to come by, it's a semi-automatic, and it looks menacing to those highwaymen expected to be on the road preying on the weak. Of course, I'd carry light amount of ammunition, and use a crowbar or other longer, blunt weapon (Blunt, because it'd simply bend instead of growing dull).

Mode of transportation would be a bicycle. Yes, it requires energy to use, but it can get by those meddling cars that'll clog up highways and cities. If not, then I'd simply use something else smaller - my parents' fourwheeler. Now, of course, it requires gasoline, which'll be hard to come by, so I'd use it to get as far as it could go before being forced to abandon it, then look for a bicycle, or hole up.
The position I'd pick most likely is a school. Yes, there are a lot of nooks and crannies, but if you go in a group (Yes, that happens quite often, though it is also just as dangerous as being alone, due to bigger groups = more chance of an infection), you can scout it out for any dangers, before turning it into a large fortress. there should be plenty of food, and if not, then local gas stations or grocery stores could be a lifesaver. Plus, more room to fight, and since classic zombies can't go up stairs, you could simply go to a second or third floor and fight from there. If not, then a house that can easily be defended, or a warehouse. I would not prefer to make a last stand in a gas station, car dealership, or city streets, simply because you do not know exactly where things can wake-up juice out. That's the problem with schools. So, possibly, a local school if you want to carry more, and travel less. A place ill to go to is a HOSPITAL, because c'mon, that'll be Ground Zero for the undead.

Profile YIM WWW
Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:12 pm
This is an amazing post.

My friends and I have formed a zombie apocalypse survival group. We're planning on going to the Yukon and holing up in a Wal-Mart or something similar. Zombies would freeze and be unable to attack. We'd have an almost endless source of supplies. It's almost a win-win scenario. The only problem is how to get there. We're thinking about hiking cross-country; it's safer than using the major roads and would have less zombie traffic.

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:16 pm
True, cross-country would be safer in a way. But zombie virus wouldn't exactly stick to humans. You have to think. Mad Cows Disease hit the cows. And a similar virus happened to a tribe that had devoured human brains until they ate some with a disease that was much like Mad Cows Disease. I think it was Uruguay. They turned into "Mindless husks" and devoured other tribals. So, it could be possible that animals could be affected the same way with a zombie virus. But, that is a good idea.

Profile YIM WWW
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 am
I have multiple Zombie apocalypse plans, they all vary depending on the situation. Here's the most generic:

Transportation
-Bike
-Moped

Explanation: Bike for the reasons listed in Midnight Foxes post, Moped for quicker travel (And they're awesome, plus it worked out in Highschool of the Dead....)

Weapons
-Machete
-Silenced firearm of any sort

Explanation: Machetes don't need to be reloaded, and unlike a sword or Katana, Machetes are built durable and won't dull as quickly. The firearm for the moments when the Machete won't quite cut it, silencer for obvious reasons. Also makes for a better way out than being eaten.

Backpack
-One extra pair of clothes
-Winter Gear (Flashlight, matches, firstaid kit, heat blanket, compass)
-Sleeping Bag
-Dried fruit

Plan

I live in Montana, which is pretty far north. During the winters Zombies will freeze, either killing them, or at least keeping them immobile for the winter. When it happens, I will take to the road and head up to Glacier National Park, a nearby national park that is known for its extensive wilderness, akin to the Bob Marshall wilderness. Because it is a National Park it is teeming with wildlife such as Deer, Elk, and Mountain Goat. All are so used to seeing people, that they don't even bother shying away, and will make for good and easy hunting, should food be hard pressed. There are a few very small settlements deep in Glacier Park (Towns with populations of fifty), the people in these settlements farm/ranch to get by so organic food is not scarce.

Ideally I can take over a building in one of those towns, should the building be multiple stories I will install a rope ladder, and destroy all stairs ensuring my safety when I sleep. From then on, I can use the top level of the building to store my food and lodgings, the higher it is the better it will suffice for keeping an eye out on nearby activity. Anyone who decides to go to any type of store to hole up, following the outbreak can expect to be eaten. Everyone will rush to stores to stock up, and inevitably some of these people will be infected. We all know how fast an outbreak can spread, and you can easily find yourself outnumbered. Better safe than sorry. I suggest stocking up on canned goods, they're easily transportable, non perishable, and a good way to avoid the need to go to any type of store.

Might update later, but it's 1 am, and I'm tired :D

Hylian Squire

Post Re: What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:02 pm
I, personally, am just a sword/bow person, so those would be my weapons of choice.
Going up north sounds like a good idea, and bringing canned foods sounds logical to me. They can't spoil, it's hard for wild animals to get into them, it just seems right.
One other thing I would suggest bringing would be medicine, because it would be just as easy to hurt yourself with an ordinary illness or a fall or something as it would to get infected with a disease that turns you into a zombie.
Also, water would be a must-have. Even if you are going up north, you will need water to stay hydrated to keep walking, fighting, biking, etc. There's no guarantee you would find water on your way there, and even if you find water, there could be unsafe to drink. So I guess you'd also want to take water sanitation supplies, if possible.

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: What Will You Carry With You. . . • Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:28 pm
Yeah, water sanitization. Boil it thoroughly, and should be safe to drink. But, bring specimens like a gerbil or hamster to test on before trying it yourself. That way, if it ISN'T safe, then it's a whole lot easier taking out the test subject rather than dying.

Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]