View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Phobias V.2 
Administrator

Post Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 am
Back about... 4.5 years ago I posted a topic about personal phobias. Now that we have a new mix of members and we've all aged at least 4.5 years... I have brought it back from the void.

This is a topic to discuss your personal phobias, perhaps some of people you know, and general information/confrontation stories of said phobias.

To reiterate what I said 5 years ago: I have a fear of spiders. This fear has waned some as I've grown older, but I still have two basic reactions: a) receive moderate helping of chill pie b) MURDER THAT F:SPPFIF. If the spider is at ground level and I'm standing, it's cool (because I can squash it :P ), if the spider is relatively small, it's cool (see previous), but the closer to my personal being or eye level, the worse the situation. Large spiders, like toonie size or better, those give me the willies: the longer the legs the worse -_-.

This fear came naturally as a child, and was cemented in my YOUTHFUL DAYS as my grandmother's porch was full of large spiders prepared to just drop from the ceiling at any time... Barf.

I also suffer from claustrophobia (sort of). Being caught up under something (tarp, blanket, etc.) makes me panic, and cramped conditions, like a car ride, can really get my stress level up. Fear of public speaking (who knew), a very instinctual respect for the dark and what it contains... some pretty basic phobias there.

I'm also afraid of commitment ;D. *badumkish*

Discuss your phobias today! (and for many years to come O_o)

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 am
I'm really afraid of needles due to some complications with them during various trips to the hospital when I was younger. For those of you who never had an IV before, they are small needles that go in your hand or arm and used for medication while at the hospital. They also put a cream on to numb the skin so it doesn't hurt. The nurses decided to put the cream on my hand and inject the one without the cream and miss the vein four times. It hurt, a lot... especially when you are like 6 or 7. Since then, I'm horribly afraid to get blood tests done, immunizations, etc.

I also can't handle heights or crickets (yes crickets.. we had a family of them in my old house since one got loose when we had lizards..) very well either.

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:45 am
Needles and shots. Not at phobia level though, just pretty darn close. Since, technically a real phobia would be worse, I can still get shots, but I'll let you know I just don't like it.

Oddly, everything else is fine. On the issue of spiders, I just squish them for the heck of it...or rather, because everyone else freaks out when they see them. This goes for bees too. It seems for us who don't find spiders scary we are given the duty of spider attacker for everyone else. xD

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:03 pm
Ummmm lets see I'm afraid of roaches......when I see them I just start to jump and run, I just go in to straight panic. Other wise I'm good.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:35 pm
I have a phobia of spiders only because I opened an empty egg carton and there was a ginormous black widow next to my thumb in one of the empty sockets. 0_0 I used to be okay with spiders when I was little. I would even pick them up. D:

I loathe needles. I have to get blood work done anytime I go to the doctor. It wasn't until recent that I stopped crying. :P But I still get lightheaded and ghost white when the phlebotomist brings out the needle.

Third- Heights. It's really bad. Even looking at pictures of relatively small heights make me feel woozy. Things just start spinning.

I realize all of these are ones already mentioned. I guess a lot of people have the same types of phobias. :lol:

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm
Any kind of creepy crawlie. They creep me put and scare me half to death. Why? Because every time I've ever had an encounter with them, it's always been in a situation where they are in an odd place then try to crawl on me or something.

Now, picture a fear of that while in the shower. That's absolutely horrifying.

On that note, I think we've all heard about my profound dear of spiders- arachnaphobia. Those. Things. Are. Horrid. And. Must. Die.

One strange fear has to be fish. Not all of them, just the ones like squid and stuff. XP

Hmm... I have slight clausterphobia, nothing too major though. Also needles. A very slight fear if them, probably only because when I was little, my grandfather told me wierd stories dealing with needles.

Another one has to be getting my wisdom teeth out. I'm terrified of getting that done. That a few years off though, but apparently, my gums don't show signs of any wisdom teeth right now. What's so bad about them that you have to get them out anyways?

Also, I have the common fear of the darkness? This comes fromy fear of spiders and creepy crawlies. Oh, and weird dolls that I used to have until a few months ago...

Another strange one is that when I'm in a large room where there is an extreme amount of space between me and another person starts to freak me out. I like having people within an arms length. Makes me feel as if I have enough space between me and the next person. Though, if I'm in a fair sized room, I can stay alone for hours at a time.

A common one is death. Just the fact that one day I'll never wake up again scares me.

The final one is change. This isn't so much a fear so much as I hate it. Though, I guess I fear it too. *shrugs* I just don't coup with major change very well. So, when my cousin was born, I was not a happen camper. Then again, I'm not a family person either...

Okay, one more. :p I'd have to say the slight fear of cats- as much as I love them. This happens to be a more recent one, since I had a really bad ahsma attack last time I spentthe night at a friends house and she had cats. :P

Zora Guard

Post Re: Phobias V.2 • Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:18 am
I don't think I actually have any fear. I probably do, but I'm not sure what it is. Yeah I get scared like when watching a horror movie or something, but I don't know if I have an actual phobia. If it's a spider, I still have a reaction. I just kill it. I guess my worst fear is experiencing either a zombie or alien apocalypse when I least expect it. If that happens, I'm screwed.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]