View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures 
Zora Guard

Post Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:17 am
As some of you know, I am taking a Game Development Certification program at NAIT in Edmonton and my teacher of one of my classes is Corey Gaspur aka the Lead Combat Designer of BioWare. Yesterday, he was kind enough for the class to take a tour of the offices of BioWare. While I am signed on a non disclosure agreement to not discuss anything I see or hear regarding new content, and where exactly is the office in question, I can share a bit of what was in the offices and a few "safe" pictures.

I shared some pictures already with the shout box but

Tali, Wrex, and Miranda are painted on the third floor of the building where the ME team is. They may look familiar since they are the same images on lithographs that were sold awhile ago.

There is also a large painting of the team that fills up the whole wall.

And all the games they have done so far. There were many awards scattered in the lobby too.

I can also say:
- the cafeteria has a pool table, a ping pong table, a regular table where staff can play board games and 40K. There was also 40K terrain in a box
- couches and a TV. There was some staff playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 when we were there
- Casey Hudson has a giant Wrex head in his office
- there are also several art works hanging up of Shepard, and the gang.
- Each meeting room is named after a game. I was in the Neverwinter Nights room
- A giant library of games. Staff can take out any game they want and play them.
- I was also in the recording studio. It was very quiet in there =|

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:34 am
This is awesome. Entirely, completely awesome. Out of curiosity, why were you at BioWare?

~Samuel Clemens

Zora Guard

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:34 pm
One of my teachers in my GDC classes is Corey Gaspur aka he is the lead combat designer of BioWare. He was nice enough to let the class take a tour of the offices.

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:06 pm
WOW!!! That is so kool!!! It was very kind of your teacher to do that. Also thanks for sharing the pictures. One last thing that place sounds AWESOME!!! 8O

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:29 pm
Wow. That is incredible. I played the hell out of Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic series, and am completely playing the hell out of their The Old Republic MMO. GDC classes, eh? You working to become a game developer?

Zora Guard

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:01 pm
The GDC course also goes through level design, coding, 3D modeling, etc. I'm not sure what area of game development I want to go into quite yet. It would be fun to do Level Design or Character Design.

More pictures!

Another wall mural. It might look familiar

And the awards

Profile WWW

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:03 pm
Stunning. That is really all I can say.

Seeing as I want to be a voice actress... T'would be funny if you were to end up at BioWare and I ended up doing some voice overs for them. XD

Back to the original point- you must have a lot of fun in class then, seeing as whom you're teacher is.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:08 pm
Haha, and my end goal is to be a game programmer, which is why I'm a Computer Science major. It would be even more funny if we all ended up working on the same projects without ever knowing. :P

I would kill to go visit a game studio... How many people did he let tour the studio?

Zora Guard

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:16 pm
I think DC said this in the Shout Box one day but one day, when everyone is done school and has jobs in said areas, we will have enough people to make our own game with each person specializing in their territory. We have a voice actress, a game programmer, a maybe level, character designer, etc.

There are 14 people in my class that went to the tour. 8 on Tuesday and 6 on Thursday when I went. The offices have small hallway spaces so 14 people crammed in a small hallway or the offices would be rather squishy.

Edit - I forgot to add information about the interview room. I thought I should mention this since it was pretty interesting to say the least. Imagine a large room and in this large room is a sound proof room with glass for windows so you can completely see inside and you can see out. This is where you get interviewed; in a bubble in the middle of a busy area where other staff can see inside as you tell them all about yourself. Sure they can't hear you but it's intimidating.

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm
These pictures are excellent. I am super jelly right now.

Did you get to see any of the workstations or where they program the games?

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 pm
Yup. I saw where the ME level designers, sound team, Corey's offices, and QA offices are along with Casey Hudson's office, life size replica of Wrex's head and all.

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Pie's Adventure to BioWare with Pictures • Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:05 pm
Oh you lucky bat. Maybe one day I shall invent a time machine go back to this day........then switch bodies with you to see all that. Even though there is a small chance I do that.....it never hurts to dream.

Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]