View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Aliens 

Do you believe in them?
Yes 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Yes, but... (please explain) 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Not sure 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
No, but... (please explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

Aliens 
Zora Guard

Post Aliens • Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 am
I believe in aliens. I also believe that they will one day attempt to take over Earth. If they have the technology to build a ship to get to and track down Earth, then they're completley capable of taking over. There might be some peaceful aliens out there somewhere, but I also believe in an alien race that will stop at nothing to take over Earth. What are you're thoughts?

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm
It'd be completely silly to NOT think that life exists outside of our puny little planet. Will it try to contact us? Maybe, if it were as sentient or better. But the odds of this happening are ridiculously little given the expanse between us and anywhere else in our Galaxy... or Universe (obviously). But Life beyond Earth is inevitable given the chemistry and size of the Universe.

Let Tyson explain ;D

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:34 pm

If aliens were to find Earth (that in itself being the largest challenge by far in establishing alien contact given the vastness of the universe), they would probably not be hostile. Anything so much more scientifically advanced than us would no doubt have an insatiable curiosity about everything as a species, and as such if we were the first planet (or within the first several) that they found with living, sentient beings, they would probably want to study us.

I further think that any thoughts of alien takeover are nothing short of absurdity; while the human race is surely a blood-thirsty one, those species with more-advanced intellects probably wouldn't be, because war and conquest are petty, insignificant, and ultimately boring things in the context of the universe at large. Why take over a planet? Sure, there have been those of us who dreamed of world conquest, but the fact is that these people want to control everything; when you take into account all the planets in each star system of the hundred billion or so it takes to form a galaxy, and when you take into account that there are somewhere on the order of a hundred billion galaxies in the universe, there is simply no way to conquer and maintain control over all living things. Any attempt at total dominion is pointless, as any sufficiently advanced society would understand with utter clarity.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:38 pm
I'm with DL on this.

If they were technologically advanced enough to find us, I doubt they would want to destroy us. Especially since I do believe they may have made contact in the past. I wouldn't doubt it if they did give a few nudges to mankind.

To experience contact with aliens would be fascinating though, wouldn't it?

Zora Guard

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 pm
Deku Landmaster wrote:
Sure, there have been those of us who dreamed of world conquest, but the fact is that these people want to control everything; when you take into account all the planets in each star system of the hundred billion or so it takes to form a galaxy, and when you take into account that there are somewhere on the order of a hundred billion galaxies in the universe, there is simply no way to conquer and maintain control over all living things. Any attempt at total dominion is pointless, as any sufficiently advanced society would understand with utter clarity.

Unless
a) There's enough of them (which could be done through a process such as cloning)
b) The aliens only take over planets with intelligent life

I don't exactly know why they would take over another planet. I'm not saying that I want them to invade, because I really don't. But I just want to know the probability of it happening. Regardless of how long it takes.

Profile WWW
Banned

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:33 pm
What if they're searching for habitable planets?
What if they're not as advanced as you're making them out to be and they got here by a fluke?
What if the aliens feel that establishing their leadership over Earth and reducing the population is for the benefit of our species overall?

Heck, what if (and I know this one is a HUGE stretch of the imagination) alien beings from an alien planet have a completely different way of thinking than humans and find it perfectly moral to commit genocide?

Personally, I doubt that aliens would want to decimate the planet, but I think it's hasty to rule out the possibility just because they're smart.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:54 am
If there are aliens then they could well desire our resources, desire for livable environments (if they need our atmosphere to live, though they might have better terraforming tech than us), have an superiority complex, or many other things. This is, of course, if they would even be sentient. Yes, they could be peace-loving, but there is nothing stopping them from being greedy as well or going after their own desires.

Also, this post is to surprise some people here, I really don't mind the idea of aliens...but I also think that it may be more likely that, if we find life on other planets, it probably won't be sentient. This, however, is not the place to argue over why Tetromino thinks alien life could exist (you know what I mean for those who have a good grasp of my worldview), but yeah. Aliens. Awesome.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:00 am
Consider the inverse. Suppose humans become the first race to discover advanced spaceflight and thus became 'aliens' to whatever species we discovered. Knowing our incredible history in dealing with indigenous peoples, most likely we would accidentally kill off their entire species with some earth-virus by sneezing. We would call that an unforeseen consequence in establishing relations between two biologically distinct ecosystems. They would call it a weaponized biological attack.

Better to be safe than sorry. I subscribe to the Ellen Ripley view on alien contact: assume they're hostile and respond by blowing them out of the airlock.

Profile WWW
Zora Guard

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Pretty much DC. Even if they come in peace, they might kill is with any foreign bacteria. I've seen enough movies to figure out that aliens aren't usually travelling in warships and making peace with everyone. So I'll just shoot a missle or an RPG or something while I still can.

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Aliens • Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 am
Their DNA and our DNA would either be so different that bacteria wouldn't actually harm us or, possibly, we'd kill each other OFF because of said bacterium. Yes, doesn't that sound fun? Alien contact equals death for both sides! Woohoo.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]