View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A series of Unfortunate Events 
Sheikah Elder

Post A series of Unfortunate Events • Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:46 pm
Has anyone watched the new show on Netflix? A series of Unfortunate Events? What did you think about it? Did you read the books?
:% :nyancat:

Administrator

Post Re: A series of Unfortunate Events • Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm
I've read a few of the books, and I've heard the show is excellent. I plan to watch it as soon as I watch all the other things I want to watch.

Worth noting before you start: each book appears to take up two episodes.

~Samuel Clemens

Administrator

Post Re: A series of Unfortunate Events • Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:18 pm
While I was a little hesitant when it was announced NPH was cast as Olaf (which he IS a producer, so of course he was), I was still pumped for the show to release. I'm not completely sold because I don't feel NPH has the range to get as dark as necessary for the Olaf character, but he is pretty competent. I had the same feeling about Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket, but not anymore, he's fantastic.

I've read the entire series and other associated works and the show has done a fantastic job with the story (including the little nods and jokes/easter eggs). Normally I hate it when things are added that weren't a part of the book, but every scene and change they've done (with 1 important exception) I've been completely on board with. Daniel Handler being more intensely involved certainly helps the show, too.

Of course we have to compare the show to the movie: the show is definitely a better told adaptation but some of the cast were sorely missed. I liked Jim Carrey better as Olaf, Billy Connolly better as Uncle Monty, and obviously Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine. I have no love for the new Mr. Poe. Where I have a soft spot for the movie, the show shines best whenever Warburton is on screen narrating and when they finally reach Book 4 (Miserable Mill) for episodes 7 and 8.

Episode 1-7 spoilers

Spoiler: show
I had a really big hate going for the show when it seemed like they were rewriting the most basic fact of the series: having the Baudelaire parents surviving the fire. Every bit with Cobie Smulders and Will Arnett had me seething, which was probably intentional. As it turns out, of course, they AREN'T their parents. They are the Quagmires. After that reveal in Episode 7, I finally let myself mostly love the show haha

In short: some casting choices I don't like, but everything else is superb.

Highly Recommended.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]