View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Legend of Zelda Timeline 
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:48 am
@ ekul - Regarding the timeline in your sig, that's definitely really close to mine, but I do have a couple of issues with it.

First of all, you have OoX featuring the same Link as ALttP and LA, and you have OoX sandwiched in-between ALttP and LA. However, ALttP was the first time that Link met Zelda, and OoX was also the first time that Link met Zelda. So unless there were two Zeldas present during ALttP and we just didn't see the second one during that game, then ALttP Link and OoX Link can't be the same guy. Considering the fact that ALttP Link is the master of the Triforce since he wished on it, and OoX Link was summoned to the Triforce and given a job by its Essence, the two Links' relationships to the Triforce is pretty different. So most likely those two aren't the same guy. Furthermore, LA Link has fulfilled a Hyrulian Prophecy, saved his native land of Hyrule by defeating Ganon, and left Hyrule in order to train for the future. These items definitely fit ALttP Link, but they only fit OoX Link if he is also ALttP Link, which we know he can't be. So, IMO, it's more likely ALttP/LA - OoX.

Second, why do you have FS and FSA Link being the same guy? FSA takes place "years" after FS, but both Links look to be the same age, and Kaepora Gaebora says that FSA's Link has taken on the role of the hero for taking the Four Sword up against Vaati. If FSA Link was the same as FS Link, why would he now be recognized as a hero for the same thing he did years ago? So I think it's more likely to go FS - FSA.

Other than that it looks pretty solid to me, though I'm not quite sure which side of the timeline I would place the post-ST games.

EDIT: @ Invader Zzim - The Oracles can't go where you've got them. Remember, the Triforce was split during OoT, and it remains split until TWW. In OoX the whole Triforce can be found in Hyrule Castle, so they have to take place after TWW at the earliest if you place them on that side of the timeline.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 pm
Volvagia_slayer wrote:
@ ekul - Regarding the timeline in your sig, that's definitely really close to mine, but I do have a couple of issues with it.

First of all, you have OoX featuring the same Link as ALttP and LA, and you have OoX sandwiched in-between ALttP and LA. However, ALttP was the first time that Link met Zelda, and OoX was also the first time that Link met Zelda. So unless there were two Zeldas present during ALttP and we just didn't see the second one during that game, then ALttP Link and OoX Link can't be the same guy. Considering the fact that ALttP Link is the master of the Triforce since he wished on it, and OoX Link was summoned to the Triforce and given a job by its Essence, the two Links' relationships to the Triforce is pretty different. So most likely those two aren't the same guy. Furthermore, LA Link has fulfilled a Hyrulian Prophecy, saved his native land of Hyrule by defeating Ganon, and left Hyrule in order to train for the future. These items definitely fit ALttP Link, but they only fit OoX Link if he is also ALttP Link, which we know he can't be. So, IMO, it's more likely ALttP/LA - OoX.

Okay, first off, we are assuming ALttP link is LA link right? My reasoning was that, since in the LA manual it mentions that link was returning from a "quest of enlightenment" he had been away from Hyrule for some reason. Where better than OoX?
Also, the two oracle games revolve around link (courage) rescuing din (power) and nayru (wisdom). In a sense, the triforce sent link on a quest to balance his "triforce-attributes" but, for this to work, link must have already proved himself in some way to the triforce, hence ALttP.

As for the meeting Zelda thing... As far as I understand it, the godesses used the triforce as a focal point to bring a hero into a form of the sacred realm to combat twinrova's evil magic. They controlled his environment as much as they needed too, in order to train him correctly.

Also, I think it makes sense for LA to follow OoX because of the overworld map. It is quite similar across all 3 games, and if LA was a dream, it should have been influenced by recent experiences right?

Plus, I think that was just a typo with FS and FSA link. I can't think why I would have argued they were the same person.

Timeline
Spoiler: show
Adult:.............- WW/PH - ST - FS - FSA - ALttP/OoX/LA - LoZ/AoL
..................../
SS - TMC - OoT
....................\
Child:............../MM - TP
Yes, I recognize that this is wrong according to Hyrule Historia, but I keep this up for old time's sake.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 pm
Well, here's my temporary timeline. I say temporary because I'm gonna create a new one when Skyward Sword comes out.

-------------Minish Cap------------------
----A-----Ocarina Of Time--------B------
Majora's Mask------------Twilight Princess
A Link to the Past--------Hyrule is flooded
Zelda 1---------------------- Wind Waker
Zelda 2----------------Phantom Hourglass
Four Swords Adventure-------Spirit Tracks
--------------------------Link's Awakening
Oracle of Seasons----------Oracle of Ages

Time for an explanation. First, in 1998, Miyamoto said that Ocarina of Time was the first game in the series. However, that was said 7 years before the release of Minish Cap. Minish Cap has a few things hinting to the fact that it's the first game in the series. First off, Link has no hat when you start off. He doesn't get that hat until he rescues the wizard who then gives Link his green hat saying it suits him. Second, the man who uses the Picori Sword (Which would also be later known as the Four Sword) is named King Gustaf, who would be known as the hero of the people, not the hero of time. We obviously know that there's a split timeline after Ocarina Of Time. There's timeline A which is when Link went back in time and Timeline B where Zelda is still existing with the sealed away Ganon. Let's look at Timeline A first. Obviously, Majora's mask is a sequel to Ocarina of Time, as Link has the Ocarina and Epona before he gets turned into a Deku Scrub. Then, they talk about the 7 Wise Men in the Prologue of ALTTP. Most likely, they are reffering to the descendents of the 7 sages who helped seal Ganon away, so you might think that the game belongs in Timeline B. However, the 7 sages did appear in present Hyrule at the end of OoT, and while there are only 2 male sages, it's possible that the husbands of the 4 female sages and the eventual King were told by their wives of the adventures. Eventually, the descendants of these sages would be found by Ganon, who had disguised himself as the wizard Agahnim. When Link defeated Ganondorf, he unleashed the abilities of the triforce of power and became Ganon, as he never released this power in timeline A at the time. After the story, Link and Zelda's children would be the Zeldas of the 8-bit games. I say Zeldas as plural. One is the true Zelda where as the other is a decoy for her sister. Ganon kidnapped the decoy mistaking her for her sister and the new Link had to go rescue her. After she was saved, she would later tell Link that the people retreated north. Once Link headed North, he found Hyrule Castle, where he would find out from Impa that the real Zelda was asleep the entire time under a spell cast by a wizard way back when. Link was also informed that an evil power may be trying to reserect Ganon. Thus brings us to Zelda II. Then came Four Swords...I have no idea about what happenned with this game, but from the information I have gathered, it seems to belong here and it seems that Link finds the four sword that was lost during the 7 years war of OoT. I'll get to the Oracle of Seasons thing later. For now, let's head to Timeline B.

Timeline B begins with Twilight Princess. There are a few things that seem to point to this. First off, there are 7 spirits that guard the enterance to the twilight realm. Second, the triforce bearers still bear their pieces of the triforce, which is evident by the marks on their hands. Ganondorf is caught having escaped from his seal and is about to be sealed in the twilight realm by the spirits of the 7 sages. Notice that the way to enter the Twilight Realm is by mirror. This may mean that the Twilight Realm, the Dark World from ALTTP, and the sacred realm, which was corrupted when Ganondorf reached the triforce, are all the same place. At the end of the game, Ganondorf is killed, but he is then revived by some unknown force. However, Link has yet to be born. Hundreds of years afterwards, Hyrule is flooded, and no one hears of the land of hyrule because of how long it was lost. This is where WW begins. Also, since PH and ST are direct sequels, they are thrown in right after WW. Then comes Link's Awakening. This is there because Link becomes lost at sea. He is later found on an island that may be a mirage. Well, there may be some legends in the great sea that speak of an island that's a possible mirage. At the end, Link wakes up. Now, as for why I put Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons at the same spot on the timeline. Well, most likely, these two can be interchanged on that spot in the timeline. There's no clues as to which game goes where, so they may be interchangable. As such, these 2 games could be on either timeline. However, there are hints that they take place at the same time. So, that pretty much wraps up the timeline. At least IMO.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm
...............................MC...............................
(maybe SS? I don't know where to place this yet.)
..............................OoT...............................

........................../...........\...........................
......................MM............TP.........................
.......................................LoZ.......................
.......................................AoL.........................
.......................FS.............WW........................
......................FSA............PH........................
......................LttP............ST........................
......................OoA............OoS----------------->Placement in which timeline is uncertain. One in one and one in the other.
...........................\........./.............................
...............................LA.................................
From one timeline split to the other, I am not certain on what happens when the other happens--except for the Oracles. They happen at the same time and reconnect the timeline.
Minish cap is most certainly first--it's where link first got the pointed green hat. It also must go before four swords and four swords adventures because this is the game that the four sword was created in.

Skyward Sword, despite not knowing the Storyline yet, goes after MC and before OoT; From what I've heard, the Master Sword is a revolutionary blade in that game. Since it's new there, it can't go after OoT.

OoT starts the timeline split.

MM begins the child side of the OoT split. Link returns to the past, foils Ganondorf's plots before they can be put to action, and heads out to find Navi.

FS, of course, goes before FSA, and after MC. Minish Cap is the first appearance of Vaati, and FS is the next. He is sealed away, and breaks from the seal in FS and takes Zelda away. Link draws the Four Sword (created in MC) and heads off, defeats Vaati and seals him away once more.

FSA; Vaati breaks free once again and the dark world is created--or at least realized. Link splits into four once more and heads after Vaati, come to find out that he's only small prey to the end boss, Ganon, who only recently stole the magic trident. It also sounds like Ganon had only recently been turned to a beast, possibly by the power of the magic trident and/or the Triforce of Power. Here, both Vaati and Ganon are sealed away in the dark realm.

LttP begins with a distress call from Zelda to Link's uncle. Agahnim, a wizard sent by Ganon, sends each of the descendents of the seven wise men (which can be retraced back to FSA at least) to the dark realm to release the seal and set Ganon free. Link finds the seven girls, and faces Ganon, who has the trident (thus, LttP goes sometime AFTER FSA).

Returning to the other side of the timeline, we see the most controversial portion of my timeline; The Twilight Princess. The reason I placed this one here is for a multitude of reasons; 1. Ganondorf has the Triforce. I have heard the argument that the Sages called it a "divine prank," but I feel that anyone in the place of the sages at that time would be disappointed enough in fate to call it anything. That brings me to 2. The sages existed. They also weren't the same in shape as the OoT sages, which could mean that there was a LOT of time that passed between OoT and TP. 3. Link seemed to have no connection to any past--he even had brown hair instead of blond, and that is a good indicator that the TP is connected to the timeline in which Link is deleted.
If I explain anymore on this subject, I'll be writing an essay, so moving on...

LoZ and AoL goes right after TP, as it seems Ganon is well remembered by Link, Zelda, and Impa. Also, one person made a good point that the Sages names are the town names in AoL, so it's likely that AoL goes in the other timeline, and if that one does, then LoZ goes in the other timeline as well, as they are directly linked.

The Wind Waker is the next one, but it seems that this story goes much farther along down the timeline--by possibly centuries! Still, it seems obvious--by how the world knows of the story of the Hero of Time and by the fact that the Triforce is NOT in the Sacred Realm--that the WW is in the deleted Link split.

As is also obvious, the PH goes next; Tetromino, Link, and the pirates are all present, and it begins with Niko explaining how Tetromino and Link fought the evil wizard Ganon.

ST begins similarly to PH, but it is clear that the only character that is the same character is Niko--and he looks extremely old. The Link, Zelda, and Pirates are decendants of the Link, Zelda, and Pirates from both WW and PH.

Then, on both sides of the timeline, we have the Oracle of Ages and Seasons, occurring together and converging to defeat Ganon. Here, Ganon also has the Trident, which is a great indicator that the Oracles must come after the FSA and LttP. If these two don't occur at the same time, then the timeline converges here, and the Links from each timeline become one, and that Link travels to Holodrum and Labryna by the command of the Triforce.

Then, on Link's return home (which he did not do with Zelda and Impa, but alone) he is shipwrecked. Some say that this goes after MM, but Link is clearly either continuing his search for Navi or returning home through the Lost Woods--not across an ocean. It is also clear that Link knows Ganon already, since the Nightmare turned into Ganon as part of the final battle.

There concludes my timeline theory.

"Time, like space, although a dimension in itself, also has dimensions of its own." ~Viki, DR. WHO

"Seek you the world? Seek you power? Does your soul despise peace and thirst for more? Does your soul cry for destruction and conquest? We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness."

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:07 pm
You know, it's interesting to see the different theories. Still, it's not a good idea to put Skyward Sword ANYWHERE in the timeline until the game is beaten.

Also, this is a question I have about the series that makes it seem like one giant plothole, but, if the different Links and Zeldas in the game are descendants of other Links and Zeldas, then how does this family tree go? I mean, if Link did marry Zelda, then why is there another person that bears the triforce of courage, and if he didn't marry Zelda, then who did he marry? Same question goes for Zelda.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:48 pm
Quote:
Also, this is a question I have about the series that makes it seem like one giant plothole, but, if the different Links and Zeldas in the game are descendants of other Links and Zeldas, then how does this family tree go? I mean, if Link did marry Zelda, then why is there another person that bears the triforce of courage, and if he didn't marry Zelda, then who did he marry? Same question goes for Zelda.

I've heard that before; my best guesses follow:
1. The Triforce of Courage doesn't necessarily stay within the family tree, so it hops around from worthy wielder to worthy wielder.
2. Link and Zelda had multiple children, the child that did not inherit the Triforce of Courage moves upward in the royal ladder and the other child marries a peasant, probably for love, and walks away from royalty.
Both ideas are somewhat connected, but they can be taken as separate entities as well.

I think, marriage wise, it depends on the game. I feel strongly that Link and Zelda loved each other in the OoT, but some believe Malon and Link loved each other and that they would have gotten together. Of course, adult Zelda/deleted Link/sealed away Ganondorf timeline has no Link, and has no Link and Zelda marriage. Wind Waker has obvious Link and Tetromino action, and Minish Cap only hints to childhood friends--which can obviously grow. Then, there are less obvious situations, like Twilight Princess; Ilia is the childhood friend, Zelda's the Princess, and Midna is gone. Whether Link swoons over Midna enough to not let go or he chooses one of the two available girls (and which of the two) is uncertain.

"Time, like space, although a dimension in itself, also has dimensions of its own." ~Viki, DR. WHO

"Seek you the world? Seek you power? Does your soul despise peace and thirst for more? Does your soul cry for destruction and conquest? We grant you power to ruin the world. The power of darkness. Evil spirit of magic trident. You are the King of Darkness."

Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm
MLDKF wrote:
You know, it's interesting to see the different theories. Still, it's not a good idea to put Skyward Sword ANYWHERE in the timeline until the game is beaten.

But Skyward Sword's place in the timeline has already been confirmed by Nintendo as the first game (perhaps beside Minish Cap, which could still occur before it...however I have a feeling that a certain villian in SS is somehow related to Vaati...they look alike in a freakishly uncanny way...) http://4playerpodcast.com/2010/07/21/sk ... a-of-time/ (I know this has been linked too before, but yeah...)

Anyway, timeline time? What? You didn't think I had one? D:

(A=Adult Timeline; C=Child Timeline
-------Skyward Sword-------
----------Minish Cap---------
---A---Ocarina of Time---C---
-------------------------TP
Great Flood------(No Great Flood)
WW
PH---------------------Zelda 1-------Four Swords then Four Swords Adventures -------
ST---------------------Zelda 2
----------------------OoA/OoS
------------The Imprisoning War
------------------------aLttP
-------------------------L.A.

Why? Though MC and SS could possibly happen in any order, it's more likely I think that it happened like that. MC, on the other hand, probably happened before the events of OoT, but that is no longer certain because Link has his cap in SS...(that is why the placement of both seems confusing to me...but I think the Wind Tribe might be related somehow to Skyloft of SS.)

Adult time line: Wind Waker, PH, and ST. All three related games and all placed in the adult timeline, since Ganon(dorf) is sunk under the sea in WW with the Master Sword stuck in his head (under the sea), it seems unlikely that any Ganon related game would occur in this timeline. The guy might live forever, but that would be hard to get out of...even for him. Not impossible, just unlikely. :P

Child Timeline: Twilight Princess is said to be 100 years after OoT by Nintendo and in-game evidence. Specifically that Ganondorf doesn't realize the threat of Link (he didn't trouble him much at all in the Child Timeline...instead, the strange, white sages did it) and the Hero Shade. He either regrets not passing down his techniques to his descendents (because he realized Ganondorf would return) or that placing Ganondorf in the Twilight Realm wouldn't be enough and he should've taken up his sword (Master Sword) and defeated Ganon himself. Possibly both. Either way, that is evidence enough in itself for it. :P

Child Timeline Continued: OoS/OoA; Zelda 1; Zelda 2; aLttP and LA. Zelda 1 and 2 come first...errr...because the master sword is said to rest forever at the end of aLttP. Yes, it's true that you don't get it in either 1 or 2, but it seems that Ganon is dead and defeated at the end of this game. Link wished it so, and that is the only way to truly defeat Ganon. The Master Sword was no longer needed...at least for Ganon because Ganon was no more. Now, this doesn't mean that the place where OoS/OoA is certain, accept that must occur before aLttP and after OoT. In theory, it could even be OoT Link because he's riding a young Epona at the very beginning. However, because in a Linked Game you fight Ganon-returned (as a mindless beast), these two games must occur before aLttP and probably early on in the Timeline because Koume and Kotake (who are LOYAL TO GANON...how odd...) are trying to bring him back. The Linked Game is also evidence for OoS and OoA occurring around the same time instead of in different timelines (btw, Nayru brings Ambi to the future to meet her...skeletal lover...) xD

Four Swords Adventures and Four Sword Sword. They could, I think occur in either timeline. Either before the Great Flood or and even before OoT if you think about it. However, it is...perhaps more likely that they would occur before aLttP because that's the only timeline where the Knights of Hyrule did anything useful (you know, the imprisoning war. Yes, that's a separate event Ocarina of Time. What? Ask ZE, he's quite convincing.) xD

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:14 am
Quote:
Skyward Sword's place in the timeline has already been confirmed by Nintendo as the first game

It's hard to take anything they say for granted. Firstly, when they began the series, they didn't have a timeline theory whatsoever. Their games aren't necessarily made to be placed anywhere specific--they figure that out later, and because of the holes in the timeline where games will end up going/need to know, none of us can be sure about even what Nintendo has in store for us--or the game.

P.S. I thought the Imprisoning War was during the Ocarina of Time, where the Great Cataclysm occurred; Ganon took the triforce, the land was thrown out of balance, the seven sages/wise men seal Ganon in the Dark Realm, etc....

Profile WWW
Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:21 am
Quote:
--------------------------Link's Awakening
Oracle of Seasons----------Oracle of Ages

I had always switched the two games and assumed that Link would be traveling back to Hyrule on the boat. That might explain some of the Nightmare battles--such as Ganon. Someone also brought to my attention that the towns are named after the 6 sages in the Adventure of Link, so I ended up switching zelda 1 and 2 into the other timeline. Your timeline seems fairly solid, though.

Profile WWW
Terminian Captain

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 am
Just like to drop in and say that the oracle games aren't across split timelines. The games happen in the same order, one after the other. They are similar due to MARKETING techniques. Nintendo wanted to create a zelda game they could link together and in fact make more profit by released two games instead of one. This has nothing to do with the split timeline. In fact, when the oracles were in pre-development, they were meant to be 3 games. The seeds of power, the seeds of courage, and the seeds of wisdom. There aren't 3 timelines, so that's never what they had in mind.

That being said, the oracles are merely two similar stories that happen one after the other. And the fact that you can link the games to defeat the final boss immediately tells me that there's no way you're fusing the timelines together just to do this. That would be ridiculous. And there's no possible location that an oracle could fit into the adult timeline anyway, since that's exclusively a story with a missing link who has no heritage whatsoever, where there's a huge gap and link is missing from the timeline between OOT and WW. After that, the story stops at spirit tracks. And don't tell me any games go after spirit tracks, because they don't. Those games are still an ongoing story as far as we know, we can't just throw link's awakening or an oracle out there.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: The Legend of Zelda Timeline • Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm
Quote:
There aren't 3 timelines, so that's never what they had in mind.

They didn't have a timeline in mind until fairly recently. And the oracles started out with Link being summoned by the Triforce; it was never made clear that he knew how he got the Triforce or anything, so the idea that it could never happen in that timeline is kind of extreme; if you remember, the Triforce was reformed, wished upon, and sent back to the sacred realm in the Wind Waker, safe from Ganon--who is now dead. You can't say that, far in the future they immigrated back or the Goddesses kept in touch.

Despite that, you make an excellent point. You may have just beat the re-converging timeline idea out of me (which is a difficult task). Congratulations! :clap:

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2