View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Links Dominant Hand 

Which hand do you believe should be Links dominant hand?
Left 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Right 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Ambidextrous 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
It doesn't matter 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Links Dominant Hand 
Sheikah Elder

Post Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:38 am
So I was wondering, what hand do you believe Links dominant hand should be?

Seeing as this debate pops up in the shoutbox every so often I figured it's a topic deserving a . . . well . . . Topic.

Choose in the poll and discuss and reason your selection please.

Administrator

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:29 am
Left. They mirrored Twilight Princess on the Wii to make it easier on people who weren't left-handed; as such, I feel it wasn't so much a design decision as it was one made out of necessity.

~Samuel Clemens

Administrator

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:42 am
I say left, but also ambidextrous... but out of design choices for the 2-D games, since you can clearly see Link using either hand depending on his orientation on the overworld :p.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Hylian Knight

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:14 am
Although I am sure Link is universally left handed, I rather feel as though it doesn't matter what hand the Hero uses to slay the villain :P Just sayin'...

Terminian Captain

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:20 pm
Come on, this again? As long as it's a zelda game and he HAS a sword does it really make a difference :| lol

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 pm
Word of God say's that he's ambidextrious, yet he prefers his left.

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 pm
What word of God is that?

And no need to be an Arse Zzim.

By the way I say Left is dominant but he seems the guy to be ale to fight as well with his least dominant hand on occasion. Even if it is less cool.

Terminian Captain

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:24 pm
If someone else had said it you wouldn't think they were being an arse at all :L

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm
Arguably, it depends on the Link. Oh, yes, I just SAID that.

But, since reincarnation is a rule-of-thumb in the Zelda Universe for the Hero and Zelda, it's possible that a different incarnation of Link could have a mild difference like handedness. It's the spirit that's the same and MOST physical aspects, but each one looks a little different. None are identical. So, why can't one Link in the mix be right-handed, another be left-handed, and another be ambidextrous? In fact, Link from aLttP IS the last of these and we have a bucketload of left-handed Links. Why not throw in a right-handed for a good mixture? There is no rule-of-thumb that says that "every Link incarnation must be a left-hander" and in fact, that's already not the case. Preferred, but not a requirement, and I actually find it interesting to see the diversity in SS, but I think that Nintendo needs to give an in-universe reason too, even though, yes, it would just be an excuse for a game mechanic. ;P

Also, Zzim and Zet, don't let this develop into a pity argument. If you do, I'll come over there and eat your lunch. :P

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 pm
Doctor Zzim wrote:
Come on, this again?

You said that trying to be little the point of this. That is why I called you an arse. Not because you think something different to me. If I wanted everyone to think the same thing I'd make every selection left handed.

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 am
In artwork from varying games his left hand is dominant. In SS it was quite a surprise to see him right-handed, though it is necessary considering the controls.

Now, if Skyward Sword allows you the choice of which could be your sword hand unlike in TP...

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am
Well seeing as hes been left handed in nearly every game, I'm going to say hes left handed. Except in games like LA where hes both (assuming this because you can equip the sword in both hands) that is.

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:46 am
SmashQueen wrote:

Now, if Skyward Sword allows you the choice of which could be your sword hand unlike in TP...

If they do this I will briefly consider writing nintendo a letter professing my undying love for them before deciding that it would be too much bother and that it's the thought that counts.

Also Toko I never really thought of the two buttons being the hand link uses for the item in them. It's interesting.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 am
Zetsuyout wrote:

Also Toko I never really thought of the two buttons being the hand link uses for the item in them. It's interesting.

Yeah, I hadn't either until I played through LA again on the 3DS when I got it haha. Kind of interesting how they handled it back then, and while its nice to have a dedicated sword button or motion or whatever, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to chose like you could in LA.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Links Dominant Hand • Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:03 pm
I want to vote left handed too. First because it's kinda tradition even though not every Link is the same, that was something that was maintained through the series until fairly recently. Since I am left handed myself I liked the idea of a left handed hero since that so rarely comes up in fiction. Unless they are evil in some way, that seems to happen more often. Although I do with SS had a left hand option for RL leftys it makes sense to me why they made the change. Overwhelming majority of players use their right hands so the game would have to accommodate.

Honestly I do not have much of a problem with Link being ambidextrous since he comes off as a very skilled individual. He seems to pick up and master skills incredibly easy. From picking up a bow one day and all of a sudden being a master of it, riding a horse for the first time and outperforming an experienced rider, to being capable of shooting and winning the Gerudo Valley horse riding archery range. When he is taught sword skills it normally only takes him one showing and a practice then he has it for life. Plus his skills with strange and unusual items that he picks up over the course of the adventures. How many people really could pick up a hookshot/clawshot and actually have the confidence enough to go wonder around a city floating a mile or more in the sky with ease? With his ability to pick up random weapons and items and use them like a pro minutes after gaining them I see no real story-wise problem for his to be capable of using his right hand so swing a sword

Although if all the theorist hopes are true and Skyward Sword really is the earliest game in the timeline that really does give a few hints on origins for the series, maybe they could add a little bit of story in there somewhere as to why all the Links that came after are leftys. That might be reaching a bit but I think it would be a fun easter egg to find.

Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next