View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders 
Administrator

Post Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm
Are there games in the Zelda series you just can't bring yourself to play? Are there points in certain games that make you RageQuit, Rage at, or Quit the game altogether? This is the topic to discuss your least favourite aspects of the series in general, or specifics within the games themselves!

For me, there are certain points in almost every game of the series that I get prepared to just set the controller down and stop playing. It may be from the sharp difficulty change in the earlier games, or certain puzzles/dungeon elements that I find more of a chore than enjoyable. By game, I'll list a few:

The Legend of Zelda(NES): Level 6 - The sudden insurgence of Wizzrobes and LikeLikes makes this dungeon a gruelling test of endurance. No matter what I always seem to lose a Magical Shield or two, rack up a couple deaths, and have to grind for rupees to afford the Water of Life. Recent playthroughs I have played this Level more intelligently, but it never seems to fail that Level 6 is a big slap in the face compared to the dungeons before it, and to an extent (if there were no Blue Darknuts at all), the dungeons that follow.

Zelda II (NES): Most of this game is a big 'I can't deal with this!'. But no other point had me raging as badly as the final stretch to the Great Palace. With the 'ghosts' and various Lizalfos like creatures along the way, I rarely play the game for the satisfaction of watching the ending again. There are no doubt other points in the game I can say I wasn't a huge fan of, but this last challenge takes the cake.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - I absolutely adore this game, but don't get me wrong: playing any of the final three dungeons of the Dark World (that is, Level 5, 6, 7), would be my least favourite point of the adventure. None of them are horrible, but the design they chose for each dungeon is rather irritating: Go to A, Go to B, backtrack way back to A, go to C, OH WAIT GO TO A again. The biggest culprit for this would be Misery Mire.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB) - Despite having one of my favourite stories and set of items, I find playing through the game to mostly be a chore. The dungeons of this title just have something that turns me away, with the exception of Face Shrine and Turtle Rock (Lv 6, Lv 8 respectively). The point in the game where I have the easiest time just setting it down and never returning, comes in the form of Eagle's Tower. With a dungeon wide puzzle using the Steel Ball, the constant judging of location above or below certain floors becomes a bore. The concept of a dungeon wide puzzle has been utilized before, but never has it been so monotonous as Eagle's Tower.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - Everyone knows I'm not a huge fan of this game, but I can't say that I don't love it as much as the others. You would expect me to maybe say 'the Water Temple!', but in fact that is not the main turn-off. In fact, all of the game after you draw the Master Sword is where I lose interest in the adventure, and I have absolutely no idea why! I like the Temples and all, especially the Fire Temple, Shadow Temple, and Spirit Temple, but I seem to lose interest the moment I step into the 'Adult Hyrule'. Also, it may stem from my bleeding hatred of Jabu Jabu's Belly, despite it being a very tame dungeon...

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) - One of my favourite games of all time, for structure, story, and atmosphere, is also the Zelda game I put down the most. I have only ever finished it once. I believe it comes from the very slow opening of turning back to normal, as I almost always stop playing once I finish the first cycle of 3 days, again, with no clue as to why!

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - Perhaps it is because it is an homage to the original LoZ game, but either way, my only beef with this game comes in the form of a single level: Level 5. It is easy to get to, just like Level 6 from LoZ, but the dungeon itself is just an annoying mess. This game it is not about the difficulty, it is about the chest fetching with the Magnetic Gloves. Also, I hate the dancing the first time you enter Subrosia... Which brings me to my absolute most hated part of any Zelda game:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) - I hate absolutely everything to do with accessing Mermaid's Cave. All of the minigames are annoying and repetitive, the constant time travelling for the keys and changing certain situations is a chore, and the DANCING GAME WITH THE GORONS ABSOLUTELY INFURIATES ME :LSKHFdpisuabvap. The dungeon is cool though. Also, not a huge fan of the Zora segment (Level 7), with the polluted waters and the dungeon itself having the ever hated 'change the water level' concept.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN) - My second favourite game of the series, and to be honest the only complaint is the stealth mission at the Forsaken Fortress - and it isn't even that hated. I also don't mind the sailing one bit, nor the Triforce Shard quest, as it truly feels like you're playing an adventure game when the point of this quest is to EXPLORE. That's it!

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GCN) - I haven't played much of this game, but I have a few stages I'm not fond of: Village of the Blue Maiden (again, a lot of guesswork involved with where to go and when), the Lost Underwoods, and basically the entire Gerudo Desert Chapter. I also hate any part of the game involving the Dark World, especially in the final Chapter.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - The last heart piece and having to get all of the figurines - this only counts on the ONE file I ever cared to get 100% on. I also find collecting the gold Kinstones above the clouds to be an irritation, but other than those two 'small' parts of the game, I have very few complaints. Maybe it's because the game is too short :P.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN) - Anything after Arbiter's Grounds, before the Temple of Time, and after the Temple of Time. So, basically Dungeon 5, 7, and 8. Especially City in the Sky! I find the journey to arriving there to be boring, and the dungeon itself to be rather lacklustre. Hell, I even loved the idea that you get a second Clawshot, but the boss was far too disappointing. Also, too much focus on Midna... despite her being the titular character.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) - Obviously, Temple of the Ocean King. Other than that, I found the remainder of the game quite enjoyable... though the Goron Quiz was annoying as *Navi*

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) - Getting access to the Sand Temple, the long journey to the underwater Ocean Temple, and the undying rage I felt for how you acquire your second sword... But like Phantom Hourglass, I rather enjoyed the entire package.

I don't believe I'm missing anything other than Four Swords, Master Quest... Crossbow Training :P.

GO!

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:53 pm
I find that in certain games there's a major concept that will aggravate me to no end. Among these are:
--LoZ: the way you swing the sword
--TMC: the way you swing the sword

Honestly, nothing has made me more irritated than having to adjust my fighting style to accommodate the primitive/unnecessarily changed sword-swinging mechanic. Well, nothing except for...

--LA: Something about having Mario characters all over the place never sat well with me. It's probably the only reason I haven't played the game more than once.
--OoT: I, too, harbour a deep, festering hatred of Jabu Jabu's Belly. I hate everything about it, from the atmosphere to carrying Ruto around, except for the boss and miniboss. Barinade and Big Octo terrified me as a child, but I found them to be rather fun to battle later on.
--OoX: The Goron Dance. I ended up ragequitting three times during my last run. Perhaps the only thing that kept me going was the friendliness of the Gorons.
--PH: I found that the entirety of this game felt like one giant chore. The only real payoff for me was the final boss battle, which wasn't that great despite being an interesting twist in comparison to other boss battles in the series.
--ST: Most of this game felt like a slightly better planned PH to me up until the ending sequence. Perhaps I just don't like Zelda as played with touch controls.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:53 pm
THAT. *NAVI*ING. FISH.

Oh, how I LOATHE that thrice-accursed fish from The Great Bay temple. That wretched piece of sushi has kept me from progressing in my favourite Zelda game for 13 months now. And yes, I've kept track. I love Majora's Mask so much, but the Great bay temple makes me want to kick a puppy. Then set the puppy on fire. Then feed whatever's left to a carniverous turtle.
Then there's the temple itself. Everyone else is talking about how bad the water temple from Oot is, but the Great bay temple in comparison is like... a goldfish compared to a shark. (And yes, the fish reference was on purpose) Those pipes, those whirlpools, those freaking fish skeletons... words cannot express the horror. And THEN there's the fact that you have to become a zora for pretty much the whole damn time. I hate swimming as a zora, I always get the 'go forward' and 'go up/down' crap mixed up. Plus, you're practicully defenseless as a zora. The weapons you do have suck badly. You get eaten alive by the fish skeletons and mutated seaweed, and THERE IS NO BLOODYWAY TO STOP THEM.
*Sob*
Ah yes, now I remember why I stopped playing MM.

*More sobs*

"...It's not going so well. I lit myself on fire." -Caboose.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:20 am
Hands. In any Zelda game. Not Redeads. Just hands.

The LoZ: Just...in general. It's the colors, man. It's the COLORS. They always hurt my eyes. D: Yes, I hate the original game. bleh.

Oracle games: I don't know, I just can't get through these more than once and usual not past the third dungeon or so. It's a total bore, really, sorry DL. I have no choice. It's more like..."hmmm, hmmmmmmz, zzzz's" instead of "rage rage. QUIT!" though. :p

Wind Waker: (I even complain about my favorite game.) Errr. Just the ghost ships and those darn stupid hands and those crappy Redeads. Bleh, the Redeads need to go to heck and stay there forever and never ever return in that form.

Twilight Princess: After I 100%-ed it, I got bored. Seriously can't bring myself to complete it again especially with those hands in the Twilight Palace. Don't take my crap dawg. Just don't. D:

PH/ST: The Phantoms. That is all. Oh, and the hands in ST that take your crap. I'm still not done with that game and probably don't care enough to get it done ever. >_<

SS: (IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET)
Spoiler: show
I'm certain the phantom like enemies will be a rage rage ragity ragequit until the game is done. It might be thanks to them that I don't enjoy it like I did the WW. It probably will be. bleh. D:

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:01 am
In Oot, its one of my favorite games, but Everyone hates the Water temple. Another part is getting the Megaton Hammer. Timed, Narrowing Staircase, ontop of that its like 50 story fall that takes away 2 and a half hears. This was quite difficult for a Three Heart Challenge. Lastly Ganondorf or Phantom Ganon . . . Playing Tennis . . . So hard for me :evil:

The first 2 zelda games in general . . . Really hard to play for me . . . so much death.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:06 pm
Hahaha, well, I can clearly say that two major things made me rage/quit in SS:

One. The Silent Realms. I just hate those stupid-heads, why do they have to chase me? Why do they have to play that stupid music like that? Gosh. I know I've done that for each of those once.

Two. The silly mine-cart part. Just...seriously, didn't Nintendo have enough of this in DKCR? Ugh, that was just terrible.

Three? No, not a rage quit. I wanted poes and I wanted redeads, but all I got were Stalfos and undead Bokoblins! Ugh, Nintendo! THAT DOESN'T COUNT. xD

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:42 pm
So far, I only had one rage quit. It was actually a forced quit, and the rage came after. I got to temple 4 in A Link to the Past, only to find my save file got corrupted.

Everything was gone.

I never picked it up since then.

I have been showing every Zelda game to my girlfriend, one at a time, she fell in love with the first one I played with her (my first play too), Wind Waker (shamefully recently, perhaps two years ago?), then Twilight Princess (my first play-through as well), Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time. It's from that second playthrough of Majora's Mask that the ideas for the opera solidified in my head.

I haven't played any other now, from being busy, but I intend to go on, this time with my first play-through of Four Swords Adventures.

So because of my endeavour to show her the games and play those I haven't played yet, I will end up playing A Link to the Past again, and this time I'll SAVE BACKUPS!

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:41 pm
Mostly rage here.

OoT: The Big Goron Sword side-quest. I've gotten better over the years, but it's still a paaain. Worth the headache to get that sword asap.
Shadow Link used to be up here then I learned his weakness for Stabs. :P

OoT: MQ: Bottom of the Well, Water Temple, and Spirit Temple. The Well's silver key after the Dead Hand fight was infuriating to find, the Water Temple had a pixel perfect puzzle, and Spirit Temple?
Freaking time travel! Mainly for one key!

SS: Oh ho... This game... So much rage. Let me count the ways.
1. Zelda as Hylia. Almost quit. I mean, really? A goddess? It made sense after a while but initially it just...made me hate Zelda (the girl). Then I realized that everyone in her family had a bit of Hylia in them and...my brain broke. Not a fun day to be a theorist.
2. Killing Demise resulted in a ragequit. I couldn't stand not understanding his weakness after using up every healing item. Second try? Went on the defensive (something I'd been practicing now and then) and won. Thank goodness for the Hylian Shield.
3. Re-positioning the Wiimote's cursor. Ugh. Fighting a boss! Don't need this!
4. Useless side quests you don't know are useless until it's too late.
5. GET YOUR OWN HARP, LUMPY PUMPKIN MAN!

That's I can remember for SS. >_>

And that's all the rage my head can take.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 pm
I have yet to beat Big Octo in Master Quest.

Also, Big Octo can go *Tael* himself....

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 pm
Four Swords: Those stupid Rupee Likes! After spending my whole time getting as many rupees as I can, one of those ends up grabbing me and starts eating my hard earned rupees. To make it worse, when I switch to another Link to kill it, it grabs that one. So I switch again, and it happens again. So its eaten about half of my whole stock of rupees and is still eating away. It is at this time that I angrily cut the power and throw my DS across the room.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm
SmashQueen wrote:
OoT: MQ: Bottom of the Well, Water Temple, and Spirit Temple. The Well's silver key after the Dead Hand fight was infuriating to find, the Water Temple had a pixel perfect puzzle, and Spirit Temple?
Freaking time travel! Mainly for one key!

I remember the MQ Spirit Temple. The Spirit Temple itself made me rage/quit and never bother completing that game:

If I remember right, it was either the chamber with the sand goddess statue or a room close to it. There were hands. There were hands where hands just should not be. It freaked me out and made me rage/quit so bad that I've never picked up MQ again...:P

Profile YIM

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm
@Tetromino - Yeah that...that was annoying.
Also annoying and frustrating: finding the eye switch! Hours spent looking! Even when narrowing down the rooms it's a pain to find and then you get desperate. MQ is one big guide dang it by that point.

ALttP: I love this game, but Turtle Rock. Just Turtle Rock. The bit where you have to place a block on a switch then ride around the room just right to get to the door on time.
Even worse:
missing the heart piece in the Light World once outside!

Not so much as rage as...bracing to quit if too much magic is used. Quite irritating that room. The urge to quit is constantly there.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm
Spirit Tracks:

Can't get past the train-killing sequence before the boss sections.....also can't find all the rabbits.....don't want to pick the game up.....someday.......someday soon....I will get those wily wabbits...

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:49 pm
BeeX wrote:
Spirit Tracks:

Can't get past the train-killing sequence before the boss sections.....also can't find all the rabbits.....don't want to pick the game up.....someday.......someday soon....I will get those wily wabbits...

I gave up on the rabbits after I couldn't catch the first fifteen. -.-

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Rage/Quit - Personal Zelda Blunders • Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:21 pm
Only a few left.....but hell if I can find them.....and why did the last rabbit have to be in the section that's completely horrible to get?

Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next