View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Hyrule Historia 
Hylian Swordsman

Post Hyrule Historia • Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:46 am
I'm not much for the whole timeline thing, (although sometimes even I'll argue about it with a friend...hehe...) I did find something interesting. Well, I didn't find it. Someone from PTH found it. I only took it to show you guys... ^^;;

http://www.newnintendo.net/blog/2011/12 ... -timeline/

I'm actually kind of excited for this. x3

Administrator

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:45 pm
I'm both excited and not for the book. I'm excited because it is an officially sanctioned title explaining a lot of background information of game development and design... but, I'm not excited if it truly does explain the timeline that has alluded us all this time. It makes sense to release this 'master document' as Skyward Sword was one of the first game's where we were told it matter-of-factly took place prior to Ocarina of Time. If you've completed the game, congratulations, and if not this is not necessarily a spoiler: Skyward Sword is absolutely the first game in the timeline (as we know it).

I should not one thing: likely from a bad translation, what everyone is excited about is 'Finally Revealed: The genealogy of the [legend].' If you take genealogy as the exact translation (and maybe Nintendo is trolling us :P ), we might just get a list of:

Zelda begot Zelda who begot Zelda who begot Zelda. That would be hilarious xD

By establishing a beginning, perhaps Nintendo realized it was time (25 years afterwards :P) to release the details behind the other games. I am not quite happy to see this happening though: I enjoy debates and theories regarding the timeline and now that is basically robbed from players unless you get into even finer details of implied connections in games. I have a lot of faith in the timeline I've constructed though, so I'm waiting to see if any surprises are in store and (ego go!) I'm almost certain nothing of any great difference between the official timeline and my own will exist :p.

Also, thanks to the fact that I am indeed a Timeline 'Theorizer', there's the part of me that simply can't wait to hear what it actually is so all things will be settled.

I'm waiting to see the result in the Community for having a timeline (if, in fact they are releasing one!), because I'm sure a lot of fuckers are going to show up crowing 'OMG I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG, HERE IS EVIDENCE CONVENIENTLY DATED POST OFFICIAL TIMELINE RELEASE', as well as big name sites taking credit for being super smart (coughZDcough), or even denying this official timeline for ridiculous reasons or just to be the hipsters of the community. (coughZDcough)

Anyway... can't wait :p

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm
While there is a small part of me that wants to know the timeline for certain, I am of the opinion that its release would act like a small high and then would proceed to drop community interest in the games off of a cliff. Sure, they'd still probably play the games but I'm not sure I'd find the same magic in them knowing where each title fits in, and I fear it would turn the Zelda series into just another game series.

So, while interesting, I feel like Hyrule Historia should at least limit itself to not drawing out the timeline. More evidence would be cool, but I'd rather not have it laid out to me.

~Samuel Clemens

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:17 pm
I fully disagree DL.

I view a full disclosure on the timeline will only lead to more questions, especially depending on any gaps they leave behind, which any good writer will do. I mean they're not going to necessarily explain everything in spots where they want to eventually release a game to do the storytelling.

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:02 am
I...was excited at first then disappointed. It's cool that they let the cat out of the bag, but now... I don't know. I'll miss theorizing about where the games go chronologically. My interest seems to be dwindling for the series, now.

We can always theorize on how the lands changed, how Hyrule shifted, what led this to that, etc.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Hylian Swordsman

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:42 pm
There's scans and translations of scans starting to surface on the internet. I haven't been this hyped for something in a while.

Administrator

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 pm
Here is the preliminary 'official timeline': http://kotaku.com/5869993/this-might-ac ... -timeline/

I've already discussed several of my grievances and currently I must say that if this IS the official timeline: Nintendo doesn't know their series well.

These are the issues:

1. First and foremost the biggest slight rests in this new and never before seen '3rd Branch' in the split that occurs with Ocarina of Time's ending. The reasoning behind this results in the outcome of Link's battles. If he was victorious you have the standard split, and if he failed you have this new branch. But if all outcomes have a parallel universe in Zelda, Link taking a *Navi* at 3 AM or instead at 2:59 AM would result in a new Universe. I'm pretty sure they don't want to get into the implications and the arguments for real life parallels, so why incorporate it into their game series?

2. This third branch also has a disturbing factor to it: it contains all games that are the most hotly debated. Does this not seem to be a cop-out? Sure, I do follow quite a similar structure of those games but after extensive reasoning that also removes LoZ and AoL from the end of it... and I can fit it quite easily into the Child Timeline with no hiccups. This third branch seems like some terrible add-on, and it is more worthless than worth anything, because I can contest that it has no reason to exist.

3. Now we get into the placements of the games on this Timeline. The first and most hilarious oversight: Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures are directly related - FSA is a direct sequel... but not according to this timeline which places the two of them unbelievably apart from one another. Way to go, Nintendo, way to go.

4. Another hook-up featuring Four Swords Adventures. The story of FSA follows quite closely to that of A Link to the Past's prologue. Also, in the re-release of ALTTP we have Ganon in the Dark World with a broken Four Sword in his possession. How does FSA end? FSA features Ganon first getting the Trident of Power (which Ganon has in ALTTP), FSA features an aesthetically similar Ganon, this Ganon has dominion over the Sacred Realm - that is, the Dark World exists in FSA. FSA ends with Ganon being sealed into the Four Sword.

FSA also features nearly identical landmarks to A Link to the Past. So, story in hand, geography in hand, it is clear that FSA is meant to precede A Link to the Past... but this timeline does not recognize this, it ignores all of those details. Shame...

5. A less substantial issue comes with of course: the Oracle games. While it is clear that they are meant to feature between A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening: a major flaw exists in these games. Link's Awakening features the same Link as ALTTP as confirmed in the original Japanese release as well as the English release... but the Oracles note the first time Link meets Zelda. How can this be? He definitely met her in ALTTP and a death of royalty would likely be a major thing to mention... but it isn't mentioned. All other details support ALTTP - OOX - LA.

Some say it is due to Capcom messing up, but, Nintendo had to be involved at some level to catch this oversight, because simply: what an incredible *Navi* -up on someone's part. :p

So: You can easily move this third chain under FSA and place FS between TP and FSA and everything still works.

So I support, even in the face of this being 'official', that this 3rd chain has no right to exist and does not need to exist at all.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm
Thank you. That pretty much sums up why the timeline is a headache to look at and why I feel ill.

They did this before: state a timeline, "fix" it later. (Also, I'm guessing in the "failed" branch child Link never learned the song to drain the well. Adult Link never knew about the Song of Storms and died around the Shadow Temple. Bleck. *vomits*)

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:54 am
Well, since the timeline is now, sadly, confirmed (it seems), I want an actually explanation and not just, "these were hard to place so we made a third split". How about a new game that at least deals with it in it's back story in some way? I hate to think that this hand-weave will never be solved, because if it isn't, I swear, I'll just ignore it. :D

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Hylian Squire

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm
I don't see why it is sad that the timeline is revealed. Finally something solid to work on. Did anyone really think it would please everyone? It's their game, their story, their timeline.

Makes enough sense for me.

Besides, my Majora's Mask opera with Link's absence now makes sense, because it is in a timeline in which Link didn't go to Termina. :%

Administrator

Post Re: Hyrule Historia • Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm
Berlioz wrote:
Besides, my Majora's Mask opera with Link's absence now makes sense, because it is in a timeline in which Link didn't go to Termina.

Ah, but that could have happened in the adult timeline anyway. :p

I'm still at odds with the official timeline, mostly on the grounds that it doesn't make any damn sense with the sole exception of Link's appearance in official art. Their explanations for it are so far ludicrous, and I refuse to accept them as anything but the half-assed work of some lazy clerk.

~Samuel Clemens

Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]