View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dark World forms 

Post Dark World forms • Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am
I've been thinking about this for a while. We know from A Link to the Past that when one enters the Dark World, they become something that mirrors their heart. If you are indecisive, you turn into a ball. If you're a bully, you turn into an ugly demon. So I've been trying to figure out why a person could turn into a tree/bush (as seen near Dark World's first palace; it's an informant) or a monkey and what various people would be like in that world. For example, what would a Zora turn into? A Gerudo? Tingle?! Take the personalities we usually see, add Darkness, and presto. Inhuman/monsterous things.

We know ALttP Link turns into a bunny, TP Link has a wolf form (Dark World or no), Ganon is usually a boar or pig-like monster, etc.

What do you guys think? What would some NPCs in the DW be like in the Light World and vice versa? What attributes contribute to their final transformation?

(Note: Those with canon non-human forms are excluded. However, reincarnations may vary.)

Edit: I think that's clearer.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Last edited by SmashQueen on Thu May 10, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 am
I have no clue what Twilight Princess Link would ever turn into....

But in all seriousness, In a Alttp Fan Fic I read, the author choice to have a monkey originally be an acrobat from a travelling circus. As for a tree, I'd say someone who is more passive and perhaps a bit elderly.

Administrator

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 pm
I don't know that I agree with your analysis of the trees, BX. Their behaviour didn't seem to mimic that of a typical elderly person; rather, they seemed bent on scorn and trickery (see: the one that shoots a bomb at you for talking to it).

I'm of the opinion that the trees weren't ever not trees in the first place. The dark world "perfectly mirrors" the overworld (in multiple games, reinforcing the concept) and as such I do believe the evil trees might have just been a result of Ganon's wish.

~Samuel Clemens

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:08 pm
I'm going to dig out Tolkien and the concept of Huorns. Watch this.

A Huorn is a kind of tree that is, let us say, more aware than the typical tree. They are, you might say, quite bitter towards people. In Tolkien, these creatures were disgusted because someone had burnt and cut down their forests in the past and would use trickery and other tools to hurt people.

I've always seen the trees in aLttP as a Huorn-like creature. They are bitter creatures that, in this case, became more aware due to Ganon's magic and were, perhaps, already bitter to some extent before then. They can be seen as a reflection of the hearts of trees that are bitter and were given more awareness, perhaps, due to Ganon's wish.

tl:dr See DL's post. :P

Also, the monkey could be a prankster of some kind. He's darn well annoying enough to be one. :L

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm
Stupid time constraints. Okay let me clear up some things.

- The tree I was referring to could also be seen as a bush. It's one of the informants near the 1st DW palace. I should have clarified but I was already late this morning and had to jet.

- I agree about the points raised for the bomb-spitting trees.

- In general, I'm talking about LoZ characters and what they would turn into. Like, we know TP Link has a wolf form. DW or not, he's excluded from the "guessing at someone's inhuman form" thing. But what about other Links? Other Zeldas? Heck, what would a Zora turn into? A Gerudo? Tingle?!

The frick - greedy grubby monkey hands. Sneaky sonnuvabiscuit. Probably was a conman or a pick pocket.

Updating 1st post.

And then some.

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:23 am
I kind of find it curious that it seems both TP and OoT Links would turn into wolves (most likely, and this is drawing from the same game). So, only aLttP is pure-hearted and bunny like (or did Ganon wish he would be...stuck? lol.)

A Zora would turn into a fish or, if it was a mean Zora, it would become an Octorok. *snicker* Like Ruto, she'd be an Octorok. Gerudoes would probably become crows, foxes, racoons, and other creatures that are known for thievery. And Tingle would stay Tingle because Tingle has a heart of Tingle.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Administrator

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm
SmashQueen wrote:
The tree I was referring to could also be seen as a bush. It's one of the informants near the 1st DW palace.

The person turned into a tree because was a man of nostalgic nature, raised by hand and one who cared deeply about his family. He lived in the Dark World the same way he lived in the Light.

Close to his roots.

HEYOOOO! *bah dum tish*

Profile WWW

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:07 pm
Tetromino wrote:
I kind of find it curious that it seems both TP and OoT Links would turn into wolves (most likely, and this is drawing from the same game). So, only aLttP is pure-hearted and bunny like (or did Ganon wish he would be...stuck? lol.)

A Zora would turn into a fish or, if it was a mean Zora, it would become an Octorok. *snicker* Like Ruto, she'd be an Octorok. Gerudoes would probably become crows, foxes, racoons, and other creatures that are known for thievery. And Tingle would stay Tingle because Tingle has a heart of Tingle.

I know right? You'd think OoT Link would be something else but nope. Sacred wolves! ALttP Link turned into the not-so-sacred bunny because he wasn't a predator. Yet.

Pfft. Octoroks? I was thinking more like those cyclops fish monsters.

Gerudo... The lizar- family perhaps? They are used to the desert heat, are wily thieves (Keaton?), and are quite adept at popping out of nowhere. Anything sneaky and wily seems about right.

Brr. Tingle. He's Uncle Rupee! Ruuun! D:

@DC: Ha!

...It just occurred to me, why did a weapons smith turn into a frog? O_o Maybe he was jumpy. (Ba-dum-tish)

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Banned

Post Re: Dark World forms • Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 am
Thing is, did OoT Link turn into a wolf because it matched his personality, or because he was going along, doing his whole mentor thing with TP Link? He didn't seem to have to be a wolf at any point; I think he just wanted to have that connection with... himself.

And knowing Tingle--at the very least, MM Tingle--he would probably become a fairy.

He must never be allowed access to the Dark World.

Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]