Loading...
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 1:54 pm



Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Skyrim 
Author Message
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Skyrim • Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 am
ITT: We talk about Skyrim.

I seriously cannot be the only one here, playing this game. For those of you who don't know, Skyrim is the fifth installment in the massive Elder Scrolls series. The series is characterized by it's large worlds, ridiculous amount of quests, and it's eerie ability to rearrange one's priorities. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the province of Skyrim is besieged by Dragons, who were thought to be legends. It's your job to stop them, etc, etc, etc.

If you haven't seen or played the games yet you should watch:



I have currently put in about thirty hours playing as an Orc, with a tank build.

Some pictures of my character:

Image

Image

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Hylian Swordsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 pm
Posts: 463
Location: Anor Londo
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:00 pm
I REALLY want this game. It looks amazing, and it's a long RPG, and an Elder Scrolls one at that. I can't stop thinking of it. . . D8

_________________
Image
Image


Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 am
Having seen my friend play this game for a good while yesterday and having also seen him break assorted game mechanics right off, I'm concerned that Bethesda has once again done an inadequate job with Skyrim. It seemed to me that in fixing many of Oblivion's problems they created several more and that they also took out several things that made the game more diverse and interesting (for example, the removal of short swords as a balanced in-between for players who don't like longswords or daggers). If it turns out to be another hilariously broken game, I'll likely just stick to Oblivion.

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:27 pm
You're so hideously wrong, it's cringe-worthy just reading that post. Skyrim puts Oblivion to shame, and even manages to beat Morrowind in terms of fun (Something I deemed impossible years ago)

Skyrim is going to be taking game of the year, and it's quite easy to see why. I have invested over fourty hours into the game, and I still have at least another twenty to thirty ahead of me, in quests I ALREADY have active alone. Did you play it on a console? This game definitely runs better on PC, I guess the 360 has some texture scaling issues that are being worked on. However, with games like these, there are always remaining bugs from development, it's impossible to weed out everything with an engine, and game map so massive. However, this is by no means a broken game. In fact, it is one of the best I have ever played. And the bugs present are very minor things, that are going to / or already have been patched out.

Gamespot gave it a 9/10
IGN gave it a 9.5/10
GameInformer gave it a 9.5/10
Metacritic gave it a 9.6/10

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Sub-Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 pm
Posts: 2482
Location: Your Reflection. *snicker*
Gender: Female
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:13 pm
You shouldn't say someone is wrong just because they don't agree with your opinion, Nean. I'm sure it's a good game, though one I probably won't play much of once we (my family, specifically my sister, who loves the series) has it. More because of time and well...disinterest in more RPs on my part...but who knows. I might like it like I like Dragon Age 2. Can't say until I play, I suppose...

_________________
Image
“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson


Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 pm
Well, he certainly can't be wrong about an opinion, and I'm obviously expressing a few of my own, which obviously cannot be taken as law. However, there are a few things that one can be wrong about:

Quote:
took out several things that made the game more diverse and interesting

Like? I know you're bummed about short swords, however Short Swords were replaced because they were not needed. Regular swords function as short swords, just without the "Short" in the name, instead they're referred to as one handed blades. Otherwise they would have to build a bunch of perks to fit something, that is already covered as a one handed blade. The game mechanics for fighting with one handed blades is the same.

Quote:
If it turns out to be another hilariously broken game


It's not. With games these big, there are always minor bugs present. However, nothing that I would say inhibits the actual fun of the gameplay. I'm sorry, if I sound like a complete jerk for saying he is wrong, but every site/critic that has reviewed the game, has an opinion quite opposite of it being a bad, broken, or shallow game.

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:40 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:18 am
I feel this has a place here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-V-Skyrim

And as we cleared up yesterday via Steam, it looks like a good game and I'm going to get it eventually, but it looks like it has a lot of hilarious glitches. That's not a bad thing by any means, and it's one of the reasons I love Oblivion; such is the nature of everything Bethesda makes. We have a love-hate relationship, you see... I love their games and they hate fixing all the damn bugs. :P

_________________
Image
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~Samuel Clemens


Profile
Hylian Squire
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: Where ever the Blue Yonder takes me...
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:35 pm
I've been playing this game for weeks, and it is magnificent! One of the most insane games I've ever played, and I haven't beat it yet. :%


Profile
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:03 pm
Deku Lord wrote:
I feel this has a place here:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-V-Skyrim

And as we cleared up yesterday via Steam, it looks like a good game and I'm going to get it eventually, but it looks like it has a lot of hilarious glitches. That's not a bad thing by any means, and it's one of the reasons I love Oblivion; such is the nature of everything Bethesda makes. We have a love-hate relationship, you see... I love their games and they hate fixing all the damn bugs. :P


There's definitely some hilarious bugs. I turned around one day, after hearing a suspicious noise. I was met with the sight of a mammoth plummeting from the sky, only to bounce off the ground and start walking. I lol'd when I saw it. It's only happened once though :\

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Zora Guard
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:00 pm
Posts: 246
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:06 pm
Nean, I've invested I would say 200 hours into Dark Souls this year, and I still wouldn't call it Game of the Year, for the same reasons I disagree with Skyrim getting Game of the Year. Fundamentally, Skyrim is a huge improvement to the genre/series much like Dark Souls is to Demon's Souls. However, that's the catch. They're both sequels that I feel didn't really innovate that much from a previous installment. I mean, yes, Skyrim obviously is a graphical masterpiece compared to Oblivion, and yet there's still janky stuff like there was before.

However, the flaws are still there, and some are far more serious than others, (ie, Bethesda's inability to patch without breaking something else, in this 1.02 case, magic resistance lulz?), and then on top of that how much innovation in the game is there, really? I mean, so many of the concepts like large, explorable open world and stuff are all there, but they were also there before. Skyrim is undoubtably a good game, but I don't feel it has innovation as compared to previous installments or appeal enough to be a MUST PLAY RIGHT NOW sort of game.

I'll probably play it down the line... but like many others, I think I'll just wait for the edition that comes with all the DLC to be released like... next year, or 1.5 years from now.

_________________
Image
PSN and XBL: TemjinZero (lemme know who you are when you add me!)
Co-Founder of Awesome Canadian Gamers Ventcast (A.C.G.V.)
Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!


Profile WWW
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 pm
TemjinZero wrote:
Nean, I've invested I would say 200 hours into Dark Souls this year, and I still wouldn't call it Game of the Year, for the same reasons I disagree with Skyrim getting Game of the Year. Fundamentally, Skyrim is a huge improvement to the genre/series much like Dark Souls is to Demon's Souls. However, that's the catch. They're both sequels that I feel didn't really innovate that much from a previous installment. I mean, yes, Skyrim obviously is a graphical masterpiece compared to Oblivion, and yet there's still janky stuff like there was before.

However, the flaws are still there, and some are far more serious than others, (ie, Bethesda's inability to patch without breaking something else, in this 1.02 case, magic resistance lulz?), and then on top of that how much innovation in the game is there, really? I mean, so many of the concepts like large, explorable open world and stuff are all there, but they were also there before. Skyrim is undoubtably a good game, but I don't feel it has innovation as compared to previous installments or appeal enough to be a MUST PLAY RIGHT NOW sort of game.

I'll probably play it down the line... but like many others, I think I'll just wait for the edition that comes with all the DLC to be released like... next year, or 1.5 years from now.


I can definitely see where you're coming from. However, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind had just about everything that Oblivion did. There weren't any major groundbreaking changes in Oblivion, aside from a revamped lock pick system (which sucked) and the fast travel system (Which I personally didn't care much for). The most notable changes were, as in Skyrim, the graphics. Heck, I would even go so far as to say that Skyrim had more changes from Oblivion, than Oblivion did from Morrowind. Dual Casting, dual wielding, chargeable spells, shouts and sprinting being some of the few.

With any game that large (as seen in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and just about any other game that large) you see a lot of minor bugs here and there. I would like to note though, that this is not the gamers problem, and simply saying "It's okay, because other games like it have a lot of bugs too" is stupid, I propose Bethesda does a semi-large closed beta before release. All in all, in my fifty hours of gameplay I have only seen a handful of quirks (and I'm using the original release), and I have to say none of those has prevented me from completely enjoying my Elder Scrolls experience.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-e ... ic-reviews

Though after seeing that Minecraft is second by score, I would have to say that Minecraft does stand a very good chance of taking it, because it did nothing but innovate.

On a side note as someone going to college and majoring in Computer Science to engineer software (and games) I can attest to the challenge of debugging a project, even a thousand lines of code, let alone the hundreds of thousands, if not millions that make up games. Every time you change one thing, anything using, or remotely linked to the code you have changed, is broke. Patching is hard lol.

Sorry for the wall of text, not trying to sound like a complete fanboy.

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Banned
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:19 pm
Posts: 41
Gender: None specified
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:22 pm
i just got it two days ago i just killed alduin and the emperor of skyrim

_________________
the person who doesnt like pillows and zombies cannot live



pillow eternal


Profile
Sheikah Elder
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:33 pm
Posts: 1456
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:50 pm
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... e-awards/1

Looks like it got game of the year, at Spike Video Game Awards.

_________________
Deku Lord wrote:
I only do stupid *Navi* out of necessity, and necessity only


Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:19 pm
Posts: 4427
Location: Kanada
Gender: Male
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:52 pm
Well as everyone is clearly aware, I am a newfound superfan of the Elder Scrolls series. I got Skyrim just last month as a late Christmas present, and I've invested probably 65 hours or so (if I remember correctly).

It's on the PS3, so I had lag issues until the latest patch. I would provide pictures of my character butttt... yeah. I'm a Breton once more. Recently hit Lv. 41. Story-wise I've progressed only to the mission in which Alduin is revealed to be reviving his fellow Dragons. 'Main' or 'Side Quests' completed are around 50, with miscellaneous numbering well over 100.

Compared to Oblivion, which I completely swept through (for the most part), I must say my time with Skyrim has been more enjoyable. The challenge levels perfectly, the combat and dungeon delving don't feel repetitive, and I just prefer feeling like the Hero rather than the Hero's running man (like you are for Martin in IV).

One double-sided complaint (one of few), would be the revamped magic system. Although I do enjoy the more streamlined approach, removing a complete school of magic that was quite pointless to begin with, the way it's handled seems a bit clunky. This is mostly by comparison to Oblivion... not having a Shield, Spells, AND weapon available all at once was very difficult to get used to. Also... WHERE ARE MY FEATHER SPELLS??? The lag was another big issue (obviously). The User Interface feels like a step backwards unless you're lucky and have the PC version so you can get the mod.

On the plus-side: Almost everything else. The story is more interesting, the soundtrack is breathtaking, the graphics are stunning, combat is much more enjoyable, and as long as I don't ever have to close another Oblivion gate, I'll give Bethesda all the monies. All the monies in the world.

Also, smithing is neato ;D

_________________
Image Image Image
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

-Carl Sagan


Profile WWW
Sub-Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 pm
Posts: 2482
Location: Your Reflection. *snicker*
Gender: Female
Post Re: Skyrim • Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:12 am
This is why ZE will never ever ever get out of debt. No, his life will be Skyrim...forever. D:

Bleh, I think I'm only level 10 at most and playing as a Breton female. Though, I still think ZE needs to try harder and get a picture. He's just being laze. D:

_________________
Image
“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson


Profile YIM
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.