View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cave Story 

Post Cave Story • Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm
Cave Story. A short game about an amnesiac, voiceless character who wakes up in a cave, grabs a gun, and meets the peaceful, rabbit-like species called the Mimiga. Over the coarse of 5 or so hours, the nature of current and past events are revealed, unveiling a nasty scheme and a captivating tale.

That's everything in a nutshell. It doesn't do the game justice.

The controls and graphics are reminiscent of the NES and SNES days with 2D sprites and appropriate music. The 3DS version defaults the music to "Remastered", the other choices being "New" and "Original". Depending on which version you play (PC, WiiWare, Steam, etc.), up to 3 different graphical and musical choices will be offered (again Original, New, or Remastered).

Created by one man in his spare time, Cave Story is a wonderful adventure that brings you back again and again. From how you respond to people to the weapons you choose to the little easter eggs you find and to every last important decision you make, you will find a reason to start again. It's the perfect game in a perfect little package that will leave you wanting more long after the credits roll.

So, what do you all think of this little game?

http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Sheikah Elder

Post Re: Cave Story • Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45 am
One of the greatest indie games ever. I downloaded the first version Pixel uploaded years ago, and just recently bought Cave Story+ on Steam with the new Soundtrack, HD graphics and gameplay. It really is an amazing effort, seeing as the entire game was created by one person. I'm pretty sure he even composed his own music for the game, which was also pretty awesome.

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Cave Story • Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:51 pm
Played the original as well years ago.

Epic all the way through.

Administrator

Post Re: Cave Story • Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:47 pm
I picked up this game a little while ago with my N3DS points card, totally before the craze hit EDN [/hipsterZE]. Anyway, I had always heard good things about the title for a few years so I felt it was nigh time to give it a shot. It was definitely one of the greatest 'try it outs' I've ever committed.

Most everyone already is aware of the time and effort I've placed into this game, so I'll make a short version:

Played a total of 3 times. First was on Easy, got only the Normal ending thought the final boss gauntlet for the Normal was difficult as all *Navi*

Second was on Normal, I chased the fabled 'best ending', and finally found it. Everyone has at least heard the rumours of a 'sanctuary' or 'Hell'. They make the final gauntlet from before look like a walk in the park. It took me an entire week of constant Hell runs to finally overcome the great challenge, it was certainly one of the highlights of my gamer life.

Third was on Easy... did a Hell Run to beat the clock and unlock special title screens and the last two jukebox songs, but apparently < 5 minutes hasn't unearthed any prize yet. ;/

ANYWAY. I love platformer shooters and this Metroid style of exploration and expansion/item collection. The music is fantastic and some of the best 'retro' style I've ever heard. Jenka 2 is definitely in my favourite game themes now. :p

One of the most fun titles I've ever played and I imagine I'll come back to it time and time again to enjoy this delicious gaming package.

I recommend it for everyone.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW
Banned

Post Re: Cave Story • Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:03 am
Isn't there a mobile version of this game? Or maybe I've mixed up things a little bit...

Hylian Knight

Post Re: Cave Story • Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 pm
On the 3DS is as Mobile as you can get with this game.

Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]