View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... 

Post Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am
So, lately I've been playing Super Smoosh Bros. Brawl. I forgot how much fun it was. I say Zelda/Sheik and Lucario have to be my personal favorites. I really hate Ike's (sorry Fire Emblem!) third jump when he uses Aether. XP Then again, he just dies on me whenever I have to use it.

-So, what does everyone else think?

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:26 pm
Ahh. Super Smoosh Bros. The game that's super awesome...for about 20 minutes. :P For me it gets a little bit monotonous- just fighting computers over and over again. But there's always online brawl, which makes it better. You're at least fighting with real humans. Don't get me wrong, I love SSBB. I just can't play it for more than an hour at a time. :p

I think they countered some of that monotony with the addition of the Subspace Emissary. I liked it, even though there wasn't any depth to it. Maybe because it was just cool to see all the Nintendo characters meeting up and fighting together, or maybe it was just nice to have a change of pace.

And it seems like everyone I played with loved Zelda/Sheik. For some reason I could never get her moves mastered. But here are some of my favorites: Toon Link, Falco, Pit, and R.O.B. (yes, R.O.B. -and I have no idea why.) Actually, I like *almost* every single character. There's only about 5 that I absolutely cannot enjoy playing as. But I'm terrible at this game in general, so I don't think that helps. :lol:

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:49 pm
Haha! I remember when it first came out, I would always train as Link.

I'll admit, as I try to use other characters, I find Zelda/Sheik harder to use. I still stick to her (habbits ;P ) but characters such as Pit, Peach (her moves I just find hilarious :lol: ), and Falco (also Fox, since essentially his moves are the same as Falco's) I find much more fun to play with.

R.O.B.? I give you a warm handshakes and many kudos. :clap: You're probably the first person I've met who plays as it (I'm assuming it's an it, since robots don't have genders?) For as long as I live, I'll probably never be able to figure out how he works. :p :lol:

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 pm
Dakurairakku wrote:
You're probably the first person I've met who plays as it (I'm assuming it's an it, since robots don't have genders?) For as long as I live, I'll probably never be able to figure out how he works. :p :lol:
Yes, it is quite odd. I feel as if he, errr IT deserves to be played since the R.O.B.s are always the ones who sacrifice themselves activating the bombs in Subspace Emissary. Such honor. :P
(I say "he" only because the name ROB immediately makes me think guy. I would think it is genderless, but robots nowadays are always falling in love with humans or having a girl or guy voice/body. So I guess maybe they are programmed with a gender? That's creepy.)

But R.O.B. was a heck of a pain to learn. The only reason I started was because of Subspace. I think there are a few levels where you have to be him- I mean IT. Grrr. After those levels I found that I was beginning to like the style.

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:37 pm
Queen Rutela wrote:
But R.O.B. was a heck of a pain to learn. The only reason I started was because of Subspace. I think there are a few levels where you have to be him- I mean IT. Grrr. After those levels I found that I was beginning to like the style.

Well then, I just might have to give R.O.B. a try.

R.O.B.'s real name... I trying to remember it... I think that the last word was Buddy...

Hylian Squire

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 pm
Dakurairakku wrote:
R.O.B.'s real name... I trying to remember it... I think that the last word was Buddy...
Robotic Operating Buddy.

R.O.B definitely isn't for everyone. :p But you should give it a go. See if you can control the awesomeness that is R.O.B. ;P

One that I just CANNOT get into is Olimar. Oh...my...gosh. The only thing I like to do when I'm him is spawn pikmin. I guess I just like the sound it makes. XD

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:56 pm
I know right! Other than his final Smoosh (and yes, I entirely agree on the sound when you spawn pikmin) he's not entirely all that good.

I actually shouldn't be saying that. I was playing online one day and I got my butt whooped by a person playing as Olimar... -.-

Administrator

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:34 am
For whatever reason, Brawl has faded from my gaming scene. This could be due to the separation I now experience in college from my family/siblings, but I'm going to take the first two years of its release while I was still in high school. Brawl was definitely a fantastic and addicting game as I played hours upon hours unlocking stages/characters to enjoy with computer players or real ones: but the game did not sit well like its predecessor, Melee, did. You know you made a fantastic game when you've played it for nearly 7 years and just about up to the day the next one comes out.

Melee was fantastic, as was Brawl, but I just don't feel the same love for the Wii's take.

But this is all about Brawl memories, so let's not dwell in the past ;D. Well, TOO far in the past :P.

Brawl: I got the game the morning of its release. My brother and I waited outside our local Wal-Mart with about two dozen others. When we reached Electronics we smartly waited at the desk while the others flocked to the empty cabinet, the first two copies were ours! ;D We tested out a few of the new characters before taking in a movie, then returned home. Over the next few weeks, including a day off of school where I faked to play Brawl @_@, the subspace emissary was my main focus, the easiest way to unlock new characters. Who wouldn't love a longer 'Adventure Mode'?

For what it was, this part of the game is well established as a fun gaming memory.

Characters: Carrying over from Melee it was a bit difficult to get used to the new control tweaks. Moves didn't seem to hit as hard or react with the same timing. It was no big deal but caused a bit of stress at the start. I used my usual best fighters in Luigi and Captain Falcon with no fuss. Even to this day I prefer them to all other fighters (Kirby, Yoshi, Mario, Marth, and Fox coming close behind).

New Fighters: I have very little to say about the new roster introduced, except for WHY REMOVE MEWTWO?! Anyway... I found Meta Knight to be a joy to use, as well as Captain Olimar (who I was very impressed with, I love me some Pikmin! ;D ), Wolf, Wario, and Toon Link. I was not a fan of Ike, nor Sonic, Snake, Lucas, and Lucario. I may just be picky, but I sure hope the next Smoosh Brothers will offer a bit more exciting additions, though I did love Sega and Konami sharing the love.

I won't even get started on R.O.B., other than I LOVE HIM THE MOST ;D. Not really, but I do use him frequently!

The only character I would say was useless on the entire roster would be Ganondorf. They completely destroyed him by adjusting his weight, speed, and move effectiveness. While he was a risky fighter in Melee with a rewarding heavy hitting pay-off, Brawl Ganondorf comes off as just plain useless.

Now that Brawl has been a revived topic among certain members of the Underwoods, perhaps a tournament should be set up in the near future? I know SmashQueen has been formally challenged by yours truly :p.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm
Yes, I would agree to having an all out brawl. I think it would be quite the entertainment.

Zora Guard

Post Re: Back in Brawl: It's been so long since it's come out... • Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:20 am
<---plagued by memories of the lag. Horrific experiences only ressurected when Caleb streamed some Brawl on the feed. >_<

<---also sad Sonic has nothing but spindash moves... so late of an inclusion into the game it feels like they never worked on him.

At least Snake was effing awesome.

Visit our blog at http://www.acgventcast.ca and subscribe to our podcast on iTunes!

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]