View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 3rd Party Developers 
Administrator

Post 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 am
When you take a look at the gaming market nowadays it really is only Nintendo that has an overabundance of first-party titles (Mario, Zelda, you know what I'm talking about), with the 3rd party developers reigning kings among other platforms. This is the topic to discuss them, those who strictly work for certain companies (Retro Studios, Naughty Dog, Bungie once upon a time, etc.), and those who show no 'real' bias, such as Konami, Capcom, Square, THQ, Rare (cough), Atlus, Hudson Soft (though no longer existing) you see where I'm going.

More for gaming in the 80s and up until recently, I have always been a huge fan of the content pushed out by the big names: Capcom and Konami. You know you're a successful company when your games are considered just as classic as some of the big boys, Mario and what have you. You also know the reach of your success when you're still producing content that gamers just eat up. Capcom and Konami are known for delivering Grade A games, and due to this I have always held them close at heart.

I'm talking about Mega Man and Resident Evil for Capcom, and Castlevania, Contra, and Axelay for Konami as my personal favourite '3rd party' serieseseses. Mega Man X was what really brought my attention to Capcom when I was younger and their collaboration with Disney on the SNES produced some of the best platformers around. Resident Evil is just cool, need I say more?

I took less notice of Konami until just a few years ago; however, I did acknowledge their existence thanks to creating my favourite space shooter, Axelay (SNES), and I must admit I was a big fan of that one card game :P. Thanks to a composer from Square's 'Actraiser' having worked on Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, I fell in love with CV music and soon after the series. Contra is just cool, need I say more?

Rare once held a special place in my heart. I missed out on most N64 games due to their outrageous prices back then, so I never experienced any of their fantastic games near the end of their 'good' years, but I did get to experience what I still consider to be the most addicting fighting game: Killer Instinct (SNES). I return to KI all the time, fast and chaining combos, as well as fair Arcade Difficulty and fantastic Versus allows no room for boredom. Spinal is the best ;D... despite popular opinion claiming otherwise >_>

You can't say '3rd Party' until you mention Square (Soft/Enix). With games like Chrono Trigger (a personal favourite of mine) and the acclaimed millions of Final Fantasy games, you can't ignore the impact this company has had on gaming. Super Mario RPG? Yes! Actraiser? Yes, please! Chrono Trigger? 8O 8O 8O

I could go on speaking of the companies I particularly like: 2K, Bungie, Retro, etc., but that would take ages.

What are your favourite '3rd Party Developers' and the games you gladly own of theirs?

Discuss.

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 pm
Hmm...

BizarreCreations (now gone) for Fur Fighters, a humorous 3rd person shooter.

Pixel - Cave Story. Just Cave Story.

Klonoa Works and Namco - Klonoa 1 & 2. Symbolism everywhere if you look deep enough.

Namco-Bandai - Tales of the Abyss. Longest, most addictive RPG I've ever played.

Level 5 - Dark Cloud 2. I... I have no words. "Wow" works for now. You create things and rebuild places in the past to make the future come alive. Oh, and it's an RPG.

VanillaWare - Odin Sphere. Ohh ho ho. Wonderfully done 2D sprites and a plot involving 5 protagonists (at least in their own segments).

Insomniac Games - The Spyro the Dragon trilogy and their Ratchet & Clank games. :D

Rare - Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie.

All I can recall right now.

Nightmare Inc. We kill your childhood.

And then some.
This space claimed by Mintle "Shelly" Turteetish! (Formerly known as Vaati.)

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.
"He came back from above. To set. Things. On. FIRE."

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:57 pm
@Smoosh: If you liked Abyss you ought to try to find a Tales of Symphonia copy at one point. It's just as crazy long and...well...just as crazy in the other ways too. Only in a different direction this time. :P It's for Game Cube, in case you're wondering. The only stinky thing is it can be kind of hard to find.

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:00 am
@Tetromino - I played it once a long time ago. Like when it first came out. :P The final boss was pitiful (or maybe I was overleveled at 60-something) and Psi Tempest made certain bosses cake. I tried playing it again but...eh. Same with Tales of Legendia but more disappointing. Found a fighting combo that demolished large bosses. This broke the game since battles are in a single plane. The bosses were basically trapped as the combo counter went over 100.
Spoiler: show
Chloe's Sword Rain + Senel's regular attacks + Orange Gels = VERY easy boss fights.

Er, same with Muramasa: The Demon Blade (VanillaWare, Wii). Everybody meant nothing after finding a certain item. Granted the item was hard to get, but after that? Nothing ever scratched the heroes again. Except when I slipped up. <_<

Breaking games is fun. :D

And then some.

"Hello ladies. Look at your villain, now back to me. Now back at your villain, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped toying with you and started messing with the flow of time, he could attempt to look like me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're in the palace of my dreams, witnessing the man your villain can't look like. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's the Light Force, flowing out of your beloved princess. Look again. THE PRINCESS IS NOW DEKU NUTS. Anything is possible when your villain tries to look like me and not a pig-beast. I'm on a Helmaroc."

Pyro Geno.

Sub-Administrator

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 am
Hmmm, maybe you play at super hard then? I think I remember there being different levels of difficulty, mind you, I haven't played it in awhile. Also, I just found Legendia a bore-fest from the beginning. xD

I have to admit though, in Abyss, playing two player rocks. If we ever get the chance, we should spend time playing this game. Just don't do too much grinding. D:

“Asphixation, defenstration, breathing wool, decapitation. Drinking from a lava pool, driving drunk to look so cool. Crazy bees sting you a lot, eating any rats you caught - all these ways that you can die. Don't forget poisonous pie!" -Classic SmashQueen, Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm
There's always another secret... ~ Mistborn, Sanderson

Profile YIM
Sheikah Elder

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:17 am
That One Guy wrote:
Spinal is the best ;D... despite popular opinion claiming otherwise >_>

Pfft, Spinal would be the best... If Cinder didn't completely obliterate any and all of the other characters. ;P

Administrator

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:39 pm
You can cheat using Cinder though, Nean, are you a big cheater?! xD

I haven't had the opportunity to try out any Bioware games but I've heard good things about them. While I'm not impressed about Capcoms oversaturation of sequels and expansions on existing games (Res 6, Super Street Fighter IV EXTRA GIANT SUPER EDITION TURBO, BUT not Mega Man, you can never have enough Mega Man) there are still plenty of newer games I'd love to get my hands on: Asura's Wrath being one of them.

Hudson Soft were in charge of Bomberman, a series I've always enjoyed, especially on SNES.

Since we're talking about games we LOVE, how about you list some games you consider flops out of these companies?

-Carl Sagan

Profile WWW

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:08 pm
@Tetromino - I don't have ToS anymore. D:

But why no grinding? The group neeeeds Grade. D:

And then some.

Pyro Geno.

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:05 pm
The Persona series by Atlus definately have to be my personal favorites, along with Final Fantasy VII, X, and X-2, along with the Kingdom Hearts series (given, I say the ones that aline more with the actual plot are better) that are also realy good (in my opinion, of course).

Zora Guard

Post Re: 3rd Party Developers • Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 pm
Capcom is one of the best 3rd party developers. They've created Resident Evil. Need I say more? Except I don't any games that they've made. I'm probably getting Resident Evil 4 next week or so, but I'm not entirely sure. I haven't really played many Konami games. The only one I have is Time Ace. It's only fun to play if you're board, or want to try to play the game again. I don't really have many other 3rd party developers which are my favorite. I don't know if I'm forgetting anything, but if I am, I'll just repost it later.

Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]