View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Zzim's Super Smoosh Bros Discussion 2014 
Terminian Captain

Post Zzim's Super Smoosh Bros Discussion 2014 • Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 am
Alright, seeing how the last Smoosh Bros discussion here is a dead thread from 2012, here's a new thread. For those of you who are interested in the new Smoosh Bros for Wii U and 3DS, let's talk roster based on what we have seen so far and based on the patterns of the past. Here are some stats about who has been announced so far to get things started:

Current Roster Size: 29
9/12 Orignal Characters Announced (Missing: Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff)
5/9 Melee Characters Announced (Missing: Ganondorf, Falco, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch) *I'm counting the 9 that returned to Brawl
9/18 Brawl Characters Announced (Missing: Ike, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Meta Knight, Wolf, Lucas, ROB, Wario)
6 NEW Characters Announced: Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Little Mac, and Greninja

Now, given this information we can actually infer a lot about the rest of the roster, such as its final size. First of all, I think everybody can agree that those 3 missing original characters are probably going to be hidden characters in the game because they are the veterans of the series. This puts the roster automatically at 32.

Next, you have melee characters. By now, most would say that they are also veterans. Keep in mind this is excluding the 5 characters they dropped, as Dr. Mario, Young Link, Roy, Mewtwo, and Pichu are most likely never returning. Every single one of those missing characters from the returning melee roster are popular and big characters of the Nintendo Universe. So, I'd say it's logical to say that they are all returning as well being veterans by now. If you disagree, here's the place to support that argument. But for now, this puts the roster automatically at 36.

Next...we have Brawl. The much more complicated side of things. For all we know, every single missing characters could be scrapped. However, I do have some good news. Sakurai said that the team worked very hard to squeeze Lucario into the game. To me, this is a sign of the development teams priorities because Lucario is one of the characters many people thought would be left behind. Regardless, when the team is squeezing characters in, we know that characters with higher priority than Lucario have a much higher chance of making it in. That being said, I think we can all agree that basic Nintendo characters that haven't returned such as Wario and Meta Knight will return. I think those are the only 2 I would say are guaranteed based on priority. Wario is Wario, come on. If Dedede made it in, so will Meta Knight. However, there is absolutely no evidence supporting the return of Snake, Ike, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, Lucas, or ROB. Snake was only in it because of Kojima's request, Ike is sort of possible but not relevant anymore, Squirtle and Ivysaur seem to be pushed out by Charizard, Wolf and Lucas are just clones, and ROB just isn't relevant either. That being said, I think we can automatically put the roster at 38.

Finally, we have new characters. And while this may seem impossible to predict, we can actually use the trends of the past games to determine a minimum expectation. Here are the numbers for the amount of characters added to each game:

Original: 12
Melee: 13
Brawl: 15

As you may notice, they add more characters every game. And although they removed 5 characters from Melee, they had a surplus of 12 characters to put the total number from 26 to 38. It's still very possible that up to 6 characters could be removed from the roster at this point, but given the amount of characters they tend to add it's safe to assume that there will be another surplus this time and that we should end up with at least 40 characters. Even if they added a measly 8 new characters, only announcing 2 more and going below 4 than they ever have, that would put our final roster at 40. However, if we follow the trend, we can expect at least 12 new characters and thus a roster of 44 characters. I think it would be very unrealistic if every character returned and put the roster at a minimum of 50 with 8 new characters. A Smoosh Bros with 50 characters would be mind blowingly awesome, but I think that unless they make some very unexpected decisions, we should expect AT LEAST 40 characters, and possibly up to 45 and more depending on who returns. My guess is exactly 45 characters.

So, what do you guys think? Do you think that they will drop a lot more of these missing characters than I think, that they'll add all of them, or that I'm spot on? And most importantly, what new characters are they going to add realistically, and what new characters do you WANT? Are there any franchises that you feel aren't represented enough in the series?

To start, I'll say that I'm definitely expecting a 2nd kid icarus character. They showed Phosphora as an assist trophy, so I think that someone like Palutena or Magnus is very possible. I also would really enjoy that myself. Another thing to talk about is the demand for more Zelda characters, like Ghirahim. I'd definitely love to see him in. I also have always wanted Ganon along with Ganondorf. And what about Tingle? Tingle gets no love! Though...he'll probably just be an assist trophy again. And what about a Fire Emblem: Awakening character, like Chrom? And maybe it's too out there, but what about maybe E. Gadd from Luigi's Mansion? It seems like they didn't give Mario galaxy abilities because of Rosalina, what if they are doing the same for Luigi because of E. Gadd? Anyway, those are my thoughts so far, what do you guys think?

Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]